Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anybody else read on Smashwords that it's now better NOT to include a cover image in your .doc file, because the meatgrinder is automatically attaching now?  I thought I read that a week or so back, but now I'm having trouble finding confirmation on Smashwords itself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For the curious, I found where I had read it previously:

"Please reduce the size of the image on your title page inside your book. Or, better yet, delete it. Our upgraded converts will auto-insert it into the EPUB and MOBI.... When you're finished correcting your book, go to Dashboard: "upload new version" to upload the new version. Thanks."

7,412 Posts
Tmarchini said:
Did anybody else read on Smashwords that it's now better NOT to include a cover image in your .doc file, because the meatgrinder is automatically attaching now? I thought I read that a week or so back, but now I'm having trouble finding confirmation on Smashwords itself.

Thanks!
Yeah, I went back and removed all the manual insertions I'd done. The iBookstore copies, for example, ended up with two of the same image at the front, which of course is just odd. They've been doing this for at least several months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did the same as Half-Orc and went back and removed the cover images in my .doc files. I did that partly because some versions ended up with double cover images, but mainly because the second cover image looked oddly grainy - much lower quality than the nice, crisp image in my .doc file.

I know it was the .doc image because after I pulled it and reloaded in Smashwords, the main cover was still good quality.

It was probably just a glitch in the conversion process and it may well have been fixed by now, but I'll definitely play it safe and omit the extra cover in future uploads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts