Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From comments in various topics, I get the impression that Smashwords' Dashboard doesn't report any sales until the quarter is up.  Is that true?  I hope I misunderstood.

Under their STATS I can see graphs of view, purchase downloads, and sample downloads.  I have lots of views and sample downloads, but no purchases.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,864 Posts
TWGallier said:
From comments in various topics, I get the impression that Smashwords' Dashboard doesn't report any sales until the quarter is up. Is that true? I hope I misunderstood.

Under their STATS I can see graphs of view, purchase downloads, and sample downloads. I have lots of views and sample downloads, but no purchases.
Not sure. I have only just uploaded 12 separate short stories, so they are not distributed yet. I think the figures for me must be correct which is 1 sale and 24 sample downloads. Hopefully those sampling will like what they see and eventually buy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,565 Posts
TWGallier said:
From comments in various topics, I get the impression that Smashwords' Dashboard doesn't report any sales until the quarter is up. Is that true? I hope I misunderstood.

Under their STATS I can see graphs of view, purchase downloads, and sample downloads. I have lots of views and sample downloads, but no purchases.
Smashwords reports their OWN sales as soon as they happen. You also get a nice email. What you see in the graphs is also in real time, but it's hard to extrapolate figures from them. Many people download more than once -- trying out different formats, or downloading on to different devices. Unfortunately, for most people, sales at Smashwords itself tends to be slow to nothing. The real sales come from the partners....

And the partners tend to report THEIR sales very slowly. Smashwords runs those figures approximately every month (although it has been mostly twice in a quarter lately). You'll find those figures on the "Sales and Payment History" page -- where you'll also see the dates of how recent the figures for each vendor are.

Does that answer your question?

Camille
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great!  I was hoping they would update their own sales quickly.  I understood about the sales via other sites.

And yes, it does answer my question, and quite nicely, too.  Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,864 Posts
daringnovelist said:
Smashwords reports their OWN sales as soon as they happen. You also get a nice email. What you see in the graphs is also in real time, but it's hard to extrapolate figures from them. Many people download more than once -- trying out different formats, or downloading on to different devices. Unfortunately, for most people, sales at Smashwords itself tends to be slow to nothing. The real sales come from the partners....

And the partners tend to report THEIR sales very slowly. Smashwords runs those figures approximately every month (although it has been mostly twice in a quarter lately). You'll find those figures on the "Sales and Payment History" page -- where you'll also see the dates of how recent the figures for each vendor are.

Does that answer your question?

Camille
It confirms what I assumed and that is smashword report their own sales as they are made. disappointed it takes longer for the others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,350 Posts
The industry and associated technology is still in its infancy and those involved are working out the best practices and procedures. I would't bee all to surprised if we get near to real time reporting from affiliates a few years from now. The we can all gather around and tell all the neubs that they should consider themselves lucky and that back in the day, we had to wait months for sales reports. Months!

Edit: I can't believe I put a double 'e' on 'be' and a single 'o' on 'too'. Looks like it's time to reduce the, um, liquid intake at lunch....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Herc- The Reluctant Geek said:
The industry and associated technology is still in its infancy and those involved are working out the best practices and procedures. I would't bee all to surprised if we get near to real time reporting from affiliates a few years from now. The we can all gather around and tell all the neubs that they should consider themselves lucky and that back in the day, we had to wait months for sales reports. Months!
While surfing the web UPHILL both ways.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top