Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I published a story yesterday, and it took hours to go through.  I was #400 something in the Queue at one point.  It was rejected (a first for me).  Didn't give any errors.  So I redid the formating again on the story, and sent it back through.  Now I'm at #385 in the queue.

A month ago, I put two stories through in less than an hour.  But their process is still way faster than Amazon and B&N.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Could be slow due to the sale. I'm (once again) getting huge numbers of sales and downloads. (I love Smashwords sales!) That action on the site could be slowing the entire operation down.

Too, people could be putting up a lot of books right now in order to get them included in the sale. The converter could be slow 'cause those books might be a bit rushed and have issues.

I don't know. But you're through it, so smile and get promoting!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mark mentioned that they are now regrinding all the MOBI files to account for some new coding, so that might account for the slowdown.

Willem Thomas

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WestofMars said:
I don't know. But you're through it, so smile and get promoting!
Unfortunately, I'm not up yet. At #175 in the Holy Queue. Neither Amazon nor B&N up yet, either. I'd feel more confident if I knew why my book failed to convert the first time on Smashwords. I used the same file for Kindle and Nook. It went through the Mobipocket Creator all right. The cover file is within specs (exact same size as previous covers). It's just a simple little fantasy story, so nothing banned.

I choose to blame gremlins.

·
Registered
509 Posts
TWGallier said:
Unfortunately, I'm not up yet. At #175 in the Holy Queue. Neither Amazon nor B&N up yet, either. I'd feel more confident if I knew why my book failed to convert the first time on Smashwords. I used the same file for Kindle and Nook. It went through the Mobipocket Creator all right. The cover file is within specs (exact same size as previous covers). It's just a simple little fantasy story, so nothing banned.

I choose to blame gremlins.
I've been in the 3ks before and it took as long to get through as it did for Amazon to post. So you're doing good. :)

It would be nice if Smashwords told us why the file failed (you've got funky font, spacing is off, something). I had to contact Mark last time because I used the same file as before and uploaded a corrected version, but it failed. I made all the changes he suggested and it still failed. Then they updated the grinder and the original (corrected) file went through but the changed files failed. Who knows. There's a reason I'm a writer and not a programmer.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay.  Got the e-mail that my book went through without autovetting errors.  BUT it is not on my Dashboard.  And when I went to it's Smashwords page, it has the line (This book is no longer published.)  WTF?   ???

This is no way to spend a holiday weekend.  

Edited:
I found it "archived" and got it back on the Dashboard.  I still had to click on it to be Reviewed.  Pending review now, I guess.  I feel so good about it now, I may have BBQ brisque (made up French for brisket) for lunch.  LOL

·
Registered
526 Posts
BBQ Briskay sounds very good.

I need to fix the NCX formatting on Demo Tapes 3 before it can go into extended distribution. I have to admit, I'm a bit cowed and intimidated by learning how to do this. Anyone got soothing words of advice and encouragement for me?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The speed of Smashwords seem to be a recurring issue, but one with which Coker is aware and seems to be working on. The site will bog down for a while, then things will go fairly smooth for a week or so, then it slows down again. Back and forth, back and forth. It's a trend I've noticed over the last year or so.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Once I put a novel up on Smashwords and within three hours it was through the meatgrinder and given approval for the distributors. I couldn't believe it.

Another time, it took three weeks.

The last six months, it's usually average about two weeks for me.

·
Registered
328 Posts
They need to do a little work on their processing power--if I understand it, they convert books one at a time and can't do it in a batch. The only way I can imagine that it would really take so long that they have to do it one book at a time would be if they did all the conversion on a single computer with a P4 processor and something like 264mg. of RAM.

Translation: daaaang, their 'puters 'r' sloooow.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Maybe it's because I had no expectations, but so far I've found things have gone pretty quickly--at least quicker than I thought they would. I do hate to update anything on Amazon though, that does seem to take awhile.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
What's really odd is that I was #3 on the queue when I uploaded Hang On last week. It went up while I watched. Then I checked the formatting, needed to fix a few things, and uploaded a second version. I was #7 on the list. It was published while the screen still showed, "You're #2 in the Queue." Then I tweaked it a couple more times, then once again, and I think the worst I hit was #17. I thought: Did everyone abandon Smashwords? Did Smashwords figure out how to process more quickly?

For some reason, the crickets were chirping at Smashwords on the evening of June 24. Too late for you, though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My book was uploaded fairly quickly.  It only took a few minutes.  However, it's been two weeks and it's still not in the premium catalog.  No autovetter errors either.  On the bright side, I had my first Smashwords sale last night.  ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts