Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That Smashwords style guide is so long - I thought I would never get through it! But I am glad I took my time, as I made it in the Premium Catalog on first try.  Whew!  That is a relief! 

So I got the Smashwords free ISBN number. Now do I go to Kindle and insert that number somewhere?  Or is Amazon ignoring ISBN in favor of their own numbers?

· Registered
386 Posts
I have this same concern.  I put my own ISBN on my Kindle versions (and used Smashwords ISBN on their version).  I have separate ISBNs for my print and my ebooks, but with Smashwords and Kindle supplying their own ISBNs, I'm wondering if authors need to bother getting their own ISBNs for their ebooks.

Patricia

· Registered
856 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
First of all, Amazon uses an ASIN, not an ISBN.
Second of all, the free Smashwords ISBN is for use on Smashwords (and its affiliates...the retailers who you allow Smashwords to distribute to for you) only. You cannot just take it and use it for other purposes.
Sure you can. Anywhere there is a line asking for the ISBN, you can input the free one. It's a VALID ISBN number. And to the OP, you do it from your KDP dashboard when inputting all the other information on the eBook. First page, I think.

The reason many do not use the ISBN number at other sites is not because it doesn't work, but because to do so lists Smashwords as the publisher, and not you. Many don't want that. I don't see how it matters unless you get a different publisher somewhere down the line.

But I have my free ISBNs listed on all the digital sites with not one problem. In fact, when using it with Pubit! it will actually validate that it's a viable number when you input it into the publishing form.

· Registered
856 Posts
par2323 said:
I have this same concern. I put my own ISBN on my Kindle versions (and used Smashwords ISBN on their version). I have separate ISBNs for my print and my ebooks, but with Smashwords and Kindle supplying their own ISBNs, I'm wondering if authors need to bother getting their own ISBNs for their ebooks.

Patricia
I think that's how they rank you for some ranking sites, since many don't rank ASINs currently.

· Registered
660 Posts
par2323 said:
I have this same concern. I put my own ISBN on my Kindle versions (and used Smashwords ISBN on their version). I have separate ISBNs for my print and my ebooks, but with Smashwords and Kindle supplying their own ISBNs, I'm wondering if authors need to bother getting their own ISBNs for their ebooks.

Patricia
As far as I know the only two places for ebooks where you need your own ISBN is Ibooks and Bookbaby. All the others are taken care of when you go through Smashwords, and you don't need one with Amazon.

Carl

· Registered
5,835 Posts
If you want to get very technical, you're not even supposed to use the same ISBN across the various e-book formats, because an ISBN is like a fingerprint. You're not supposed to use the same ISBN for MOBI as you do for ePUB or ODF, etc. So some publishers do it? Yes. Are they supposed to? No.

Amazon uses the ASIN and B&N used the BNID. If you think about it, it makes sense for retailers to not need an ISBN if they're selling directly to the consumers since the whole purpose of the ISBN and its matching bar code was to make tracking distribution and sales through multiple outfits easier. With the new e-book sales methog, the whole distributor has for the most part been cut off of the model. Smashword sis one of the few exceptions (because Apple is clinging to the old model).

· Registered
856 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
If you want to get very technical, you're not even supposed to use the same ISBN across the various e-book formats, because an ISBN is like a fingerprint. You're not supposed to use the same ISBN for MOBI as you do for ePUB or ODF, etc. So some publishers do it? Yes. Are they supposed to? No.

Amazon uses the ASIN and B&N used the BNID. If you think about it, it makes sense for retailers to not need an ISBN if they're selling directly to the consumers since the whole purpose of the ISBN and its matching bar code was to make tracking distribution and sales through multiple outfits easier. With the new e-book sales methog, the whole distributor has for the most part been cut off of the model. Smashword sis one of the few exceptions (because Apple is clinging to the old model).
Well, until they make a better system available to authors without a college-credit course on how it works, the free ISBN isn't going to get anyone blowed up, or shanked in the prison yard, or featured on Joan Rivers' Fashion Police. It's free, you CAN use it on the other digital sites, and it IS necessary for some to track your novel ranking.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
opuscroakus said:
Sure you can. Anywhere there is a line asking for the ISBN, you can input the free one. It's a VALID ISBN number. And to the OP, you do it from your KDP dashboard when inputting all the other information on the eBook. First page, I think.

The reason many do not use the ISBN number at other sites is not because it doesn't work, but because to do so lists Smashwords as the publisher, and not you. Many don't want that. I don't see how it matters unless you get a different publisher somewhere down the line.

But I have my free ISBNs listed on all the digital sites with not one problem. In fact, when using it with Pubit! it will actually validate that it's a viable number when you input it into the publishing form.
Thanks for making that clear enough for a newbie to comprehend! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.