Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering submitting to Smashwords, but wonder if going through the hassle of formatting my short story collection to Smashwords' specifications is worth it.  Or should I go through Barnes and Noble's PubIt?  Are the specifications at B&N just as stringent?  Is Smashwords the only way to get into Apple and Sony?  Or do they have their own sites to self-publish your books.

Sorry to ask so many questions.  Thanks for any answers to my questions. 


Katrina
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
I use both. I go directly to B&N and to Amazon and use Smashwords to get into all the other stores. Works well for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,749 Posts
Let's put it this way...

I uploaded to Amazon, PubIt, and Smashwords on April 15. Went live at all three on April 16.

I've been approved for the Premium catalog and shipped to the various e-tailers, but nothing is up at any of them. If I'd gone through Smashwords for B&N, then I'd still be waiting...and waiting...and waiting.

In the meantime, I would have lost out on 6 weeks worth of sales.

So use Smashwords for distribution to Apple, Sony, Diesel, Kobo, and also for the coupon codes, but don't use it to distribute to B&N. Do it yourself through PubIt and take advantage of sales right from the start.

Why wait for weeks and weeks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,688 Posts
You can go directly to Apple, but it has to be uploaded using a Mac. You also need an ISBN. They don't provide one. Other than that, it's very similar to the process for Amazon and B&N.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,664 Posts
I am on PubIt.  It is very easy to use.  I am also on Google eBooks. but they can be SO frustrating to figure out.  I find Smashwords complicated and hard to format...but that's me.  It does allow you to publish on a wide number of platforms...for ALL ereaders. 

The only thing is that my Kindle sales far, far outweight my PubIt/Nook sales.  I am even on the Nookboards, but they don't seem to respond.  I love Kindle people...truly, I do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,233 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
So use Smashwords for distribution to Apple, Sony, Diesel, Kobo, and also for the coupon codes, but don't use it to distribute to B&N. Do it yourself through PubIt and take advantage of sales right from the start.
What she said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
Does anyone have a quick link to Pubit's formatting requirements? I found some FAQ-type tips in lieu of a Formatting Guide on their help page but nothing that seemed detailed enough. I swear, the first time I did this, I read something about how page breaks should instead be section breaks for Pubit, and the FAQQY tips don't say anything about that, so obviously I read something else...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
Pubit seems to be the easiest.

Smashwords is the next easiest.

Kindle is the hardest.

I learned how to format on Smashwords, If I hadn't, I would have been lost when it came to Kindle. Smashwords has a style guide that explains, in clear detail, how to format your m/s for ebooks.

I was able to load the same file I used for Smashwords (with minor changes) to PubIt. And then I was able to use what I learned at Smashwords, to translate the Kindle process in my head, and add the filtered website - mobi creator - .prc converter steps. When I tried to do Kindle first, I got hopelessly muddled.

I agree with the consensus on doing B&N and Amazon direct, and using Smashwords for the other stores.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,796 Posts
stepartdesigns said:
I am considering submitting to Smashwords, but wonder if going through the hassle of formatting my short story collection to Smashwords' specifications is worth it. Or should I go through Barnes and Noble's PubIt? Are the specifications at B&N just as stringent? Is Smashwords the only way to get into Apple and Sony? Or do they have their own sites to self-publish your books.

Sorry to ask so many questions. Thanks for any answers to my questions.

Katrina
Formatting to Smashwords specs is a good idea no matter where you upload.

That said, why not publish to both, and opt out of BN.com in Smashwords?

Going direct to BN via PubIt has advantages, but Smashwords gets you on a lot of other markets at the same time.

Do both. (And don't forget Amazon KDP.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Sophrosyne said:
Pubit seems to be the easiest.

Smashwords is the next easiest.

Kindle is the hardest.

I learned how to format on Smashwords, If I hadn't, I would have been lost when it came to Kindle. Smashwords has a style guide that explains, in clear detail, how to format your m/s for ebooks.

I was able to load the same file I used for Smashwords (with minor changes) to PubIt. And then I was able to use what I learned at Smashwords, to translate the Kindle process in my head, and add the filtered website - mobi creator - .prc converter steps. When I tried to do Kindle first, I got hopelessly muddled.

I agree with the consensus on doing B&N and Amazon direct, and using Smashwords for the other stores.
I agree that Kindle is harder than Smashwords. I haven't used Pubit yet.

I don't understand the part about -- "and add the filtered website - mobi creator - .prc converter steps. When I tried to do Kindle first, I got hopelessly muddled."

All I did was upload an edited version of the Smashwords' file, replacing the Smashwords verbage with Kindle verbage. I uploaded the sample, and it looked fine. Did I miss something? Do something wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,688 Posts
" I swear, the first time I did this, I read something about how page breaks should instead be section breaks for Pubit,"

I am on Pubit and use normal page breaks. Pubit takes an ePub file. I think the easiest way to do it is to create an ePub through something like Calibre, then do a USB copy to a Nook and see how it looks. Then fix it if needed before upload to Pubit.

Kindle?
save the Word file as WebPage Filtered. It's a Word option when saving.
Import to mobi and create the TOC. Navigate to cover file and select. Mobi outputs a prc file with TOC, body, and cover all in one file. USB copy prc file to Kindle and check it. if needed, fix and repeat prior to upload to Amazon.

Input prc file to calibre and create ePub. that's the file for Pubit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,554 Posts
I wonder if there are others who have not seen any affiliate sales on Smashwords for the last 2 months. Also, I wonder if anyone noticed that the Smashwords waiting line dropped from around #4000 to around #12 or #15 in some cases--does anyone know what happened?

thanks, I think I will try Pubit soon--I suppose I will have to "unselect" Pubit from my Smashwords distribution when I do that.

Richard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
Richardcrasta said:
I wonder if there are others who have not seen any affiliate sales on Smashwords for the last 2 months. Also, I wonder if anyone noticed that the Smashwords waiting line dropped from around #4000 to around #12 or #15 in some cases--does anyone know what happened?

thanks, I think I will try Pubit soon--I suppose I will have to "unselect" Pubit from my Smashwords distribution when I do that.

Richard
There have been many discussions about Smashword's improvements to their meatgrinder. Smashwords actually posted about it on their blog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
balaspa said:
I am on PubIt. It is very easy to use. I am also on Google eBooks. but they can be SO frustrating to figure out. I find Smashwords complicated and hard to format...but that's me. It does allow you to publish on a wide number of platforms...for ALL ereaders.

The only thing is that my Kindle sales far, far outweight my PubIt/Nook sales. I am even on the Nookboards, but they don't seem to respond. I love Kindle people...truly, I do.
The same is true of me. My Amazon sales are far far ahead of the nook sales. I haven't decided yet if I'll go the smashwords route yet. Right now, Kindle is my bread and butter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,107 Posts
Richardcrasta said:
I wonder if there are others who have not seen any affiliate sales on Smashwords for the last 2 months.
Nope, got a Kobo update today, B&N not too long ago - a week or so?

Richardcrasta said:
Also, I wonder if anyone noticed that the Smashwords waiting line dropped from around #4000 to around #12 or #15 in some cases--does anyone know what happened?
Visit the Site Updates at least a couple of times a month... generally the information's all there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
950 Posts
I joined Pubit about 2 months ago but I left the books that were submitted though Smashwords on the site. Both the Pubit version and the Smashwords version had similar rankings. That being the case Pubit is a lot easier to deal with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,554 Posts
Thank you, all! Your postings encouraged me to join Pubit, and I just downloaded my first book, the cover with the panties (see below), and await it being up! Yes, Pubit is a breeze!

I wonder why 2-3 of you said that Kindle was more difficult than Smashwords. I find that Kindle almost never rejects my file, whereas Smashwords keeps finding some error--I have learned how to do it the hard way, but it doesn't always work. With Kindle, I can upload a cover image on Page 1 in a doc file; with Smashwords, I wouldn't dare!

Richard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
I use Amazon for Kindle, Pubit for Barnes and Noble and Books-A-Million, and Smashwords for everyone else.  It is well worth the trouble as you can create a coupon code at Smashwords in order for reviewers to download a free copy.
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Top