Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been given the go ahead from my publisher to include a sneak peek of book two in the back of book one. I've realized that of the total 98,100 words of book one, 4,782 of them are the sneak peek of book two.  

This is my first series so I'm asking those who have more experience. Is that too much? I know it causes readers to think they have a percentage of book left to read and sometimes get disappointed to find out it's not really the book, but a preview of the next one.

Thoughts? Too much? Do you do sneak peeks? Also, as readers, do you appreciate or despise sneak peeks? (Personally I love them)

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
As a reader, I love when I get a sneak peak of the next book. Just make sure it's marked that way in the product description and in the table of contents so that readers have fair warning that they may get to "the end" before the end of the file.

I also feel that you need to take into consideration the length of the excerpt. Yours is less than 5% of the whole, so I think you're fine. Mine tend to be around 5-6%, and nobody has complained.

As a reader, the only time I've gotten annoyed about having excerpts in the back of a book was when the story itself was only like 20 pages, followed by 3 CHAPTERS of the author's upcoming novel. Really? Really?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I hate sneak previews, never read them. Why would I want a little bit of something I can't have the all of? It just spoils things. It'd be like opening one present on Christmas Eve!

I'm also one of those people who don't read series until they're completed, and if a series comes on the television that I think I'd be interested in, I record the whole lot before I watch them.

I know, I'm strange.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I have only done this in a series, so I'm not sure how to handle it as a stand alone and honestly, I might not read it if the preview was not part of a series.  But in my series I always offer several thousand words - at least 2000 but sometimes more (my books are 100,000 words, not including preview).  My stories continue right where the last one left off, so this is something I've had a lot of positive feedback about.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Back in the 90s, I regularly read The Destroyer series by Warren Murphy. They started putting in sneak peeks at the next book in the series and it baffled me when I'd be reading and it seemed like the story was wrapping up in a couple of pages, but I could see ten or more pages still remaining. Sneak peek.

But with ebooks, I don't see that as a problem. I didn't think to do it for my own series until I started making create space versions. I now include the sneak peek for the next book in the create space, and limit it to Chapter One- which carries more than enough hook.

I'd do this for ebooks as well, but when I've gotten mine done, I've rushed to get them up before starting the next book. I do the createspaces at least a month before after the ebook so by then I've had the first chapter done.

·
Registered
787 Posts
As a reader I try to never read sneak peeks, whether at the end of a paperback, or an e-book. However, their existence doesn't bother me, unless, as other people have said, they're a ridiculously large percentage of an e-book.

However, as a soon-to-be-self-published writer, I'm planning to include them in my books, in the hopes that other people feel differently. ;)

And, it's entirely possible that their existence has raised my consciousness of an author's other titles, more than just the bare listing would have done.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Personally, I don't include sneak peeks, only the blurbs for upcoming books. If I were to, I'd just include the first scene or the first chapter at the most, but my books are only 60-65K.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Great timing on this question.

I'm bouncing between include… not include. If I do include I'm only adding the first 2k words of book 2. I think what someone already posted is good, include enough that is relative to the book's length. Or something like that.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Cheryl Douglas said:
Personally, I don't include sneak peeks, only the blurbs for upcoming books. If I were to, I'd just include the first scene or the first chapter at the most, but my books are only 60-65K.
Yes, only the blurb for the next book in the series. If it's not a series, then I just include a link to my website.

I never read sneak peeks. When I used to read them, and then get the next book, I'd start reading and get confused, thinking I've already read the book. That's just me. I know a lot of people like them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts