Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started setting up my Fire HD (8.9") today. Finally, got my "other" brand email working. Unfortunately, my email doesn't have a calendar program, so I can't get the pre-installed Kindle calendar to work.

I've checked the apps available on the Amazon app store, but they all seem to either require the ability to sync with a calendar from an email account (Gmail, etc.), have very poor reviews or few reviews, or aren't what I'm looking for (week and month view with ability to add events).

I'm really not interested in setting up a Gmail, etc. account just to be able to keep a simple calendar (birthdays, dentist appointment, etc.) on my Kindle Fire HD. I'd like to have a digital calendar on my Fire HD, but I don't need to share it with anyone or with another device. I've passed on apps that require permissions to connect to my contacts list. I'm willing to pay for an app, so it doesn't need to be free.

At this point I'd like to stay with an app on the Amazon store, but I will consider a side-loaded app if there is a reliable/well-rated one from a reputable site available.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
691 Posts

I had the same problem, Glynnis. You wouldn't think it'd be so difficult to find a simple calendar that didn't require lots of bells and whistles. I accidentally discovered the calendar feature within the Colornote Notepad Notes app and have been using it ever since. It's marketed as a note-taking app and doesn't mention the calendar anywhere on the description page.

From the note page, click the three lines to the far left, next to the Colornote title. (You can also click the tiny arrow on the gray menu below the header to switch quickly between the calendar and notepad functions.) This will open the app menu. Select calendar. Add an event by simply long pressing the date of your choice and then clicking "add." You can choose between text or checklist.

After your event has been added a reminder (which you can disable) is automatically set. It will pop up as a notification on the day of the event.

It's a bare bones calendar but it doesn't sound like you're looking for anything too fancy. The app doesn't require any syncing or contacts access and it's free.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the recommendation - I've added Color Notepad Notes to my list of apps that I'll install on my Fire HE. I also really appreciate your directions on how to find and use the calendar function. I'm looking forward to getting this app up and running!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts