Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month ago I posted a one month sales re-cap, and my goals for month number two.

These goals included: a positive growth in sales, to finish my screenplay by June 15th so I could enter it into a contest, and to have a coffee date with Ryan Gosling.

The sales growth is positive (yeah!), the date with Ryan Gosling is pending, and I am polishing up the completed script, which will be done with a couple more editing sessions (including later tonight, because it's not like I need to sleep or anything!!! I'm a #%$!ing machine!!! Just oil me up and I'm ready to go!!! ;D).

The screenplay is what I want to talk about.

I wrote this screenplay to get over a boy. Yes, I'm one of those writers. At least sometimes. And I don't mean a "boy" boy, because that would be illegal, but an early thirties human who is a member of the male race (good that we cleared that up).

A month ago I had random notes in pen, an outline in Word, and a few pages written. Even two weeks ago, I had no more than twenty actual pages of "script".

A day later, my dad had an accident and I spent the next week in the hospital on and off (he will be fine, feeling very grateful about that). I did not write ONE word.

Even though I had no aspirations of my "getting over a boy" script advancing in the "Big Break Screenplay Contest", the contest was like this driving force that would push me to get it done. It was the only deadline I had, and when things went awry, and when the possibility of missing it became more real...I felt lost :-\

So I decided to do something about it. I took two vacation days (Friday and Today), and for the last four days I wrote the hell out of the bleeping thing.

And now I'm done.

And it isn't total crap.

At least I don't think so.

I will sink back into my editing hole again, but I just wanted to say that when we write for ourselves and meet our personal goals, it is above and beyond any little bump in sales.

Obviously I'll obsess about sales when the script is done, 'cause money talks and mama needs a new pair of fancy shoes, but until then, dear writers: a toast to obsessive, relentless, writers; a toast to us! ;D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Wonderful post, and you are right.

I'm going right back to working on my novella - the minute after I check my... Oh, wait.

Good on ya.  Goals lead to rewards, big or small, and a big smile inside.  Me likie!  And the "boy" doesn't know what he's missing.  ;D

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Romi said:
! I'm a #%$!ing machine!!! Just oil me up and I'm ready to go!!! ;D[/i]).
Congrats on the Screenplay! Oh, and I took the liberty of cutting out your quote. I think if you include it in your next communication with Gosling, you can take the "pending" out of the date. LOL Seriously, great job!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Romi, I'm in total agreement with you. Last month I started a daily thread titled Thought For Today, and vowed to post at least 30. The first week was rather easy in that I used quips from a book I wrote long ago. The second week got tougher, and I can't tell you how hard it was to think up something clever but somewhat insightful each day. By the third week, I was pulling hairs out of an already bald head trying to conjure up another quip. Needless to say, I didn't quite make 30, but 27. Yet I felt proud of almost making 30, and realized even more that challenging yourself and making an honest attempt is all the reward.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Great going!  Sometimes a story is like that.  (Especially scripts.)

But your story reminded me of an old saying I used to see on buttons.  "I had a misspent youth... (he taught me everything I know.)"

Camille

·
Registered
794 Posts
Maybe you've heard this before, Romi...but as a reformed screenwriter, let me offer a bit of advice about contests.

Enter your screenplay in as many big contests as you can afford to...the ones with cash prizes (Scriptapalooza, Big Break, Vail, etc, etc). Avoid the others...they're a waste of time. Then sit back and wait that agonizing 6 months or so for the judging. It's amazing how your stuff won't get a tumble at 4 out of 5 contests, but that fifth one! (Actually, it's better for your sanity to submit and forget...).

A script like you describe might just ring the bells of the low-budget indie producers that follow contests. If it's big budget, you may place in the contest, but no indie producer will pick it up...and big studios, with big budgets, don't need spec screenwriters. They've got plenty of their own.

I've been a semi-finalist in big contests twice (including Scriptapalooza 2010) out of 8 entries. Unfortunately, that credit is all I have to show for it :D :D

WPG

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
JeanneM said:
Congrats on the Screenplay! Oh, and I took the liberty of cutting out your quote. I think if you include it in your next communication with Gosling, you can take the "pending" out of the date. LOL Seriously, great job!!
That was fantastic, Jeanne.

And Romi, dude: way to go. Seriously. Way to conquer the crap out of a bad month. Keep your barbarian hat on and keep going!

(I think that might have gotten away from me, at the end, there? Still, though: woo!)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@AnnMarie thank you! I'm so happy I actually finished it :)
@J. Carson Black you just made me smile a little inside, I HOPE he knows what he's missing! ;)

@JeanneM
I laughed so much when you quoted that because it made me realize how much that can be interpreted in another way....LOL :D

@CJArcher if this ever gets made into a movie, maybe we can show him what he's missing, haha...thanks! :)

@jhenderson I don't think I could manage 30 days of that either; 27 is definitely something to be proud of, congrats!! ;D

@daringnovelist I basically LOVE the saying from that button, and I won't lie, I learned a lot...thanks! :)

@William, first of all CONGRATS on placing in those contests, that's a big accomplishment! ;D As for the contest, like I said it was merely a trigger to get the script done which was like free therapy for me-and as far as contests go, between $2K-$15 for the top 3, a free trip to LA, and meetings with Hollywood producers...sounds like a good contest to me ;)

@genevieveclark Dude, I actually love picturing myself wearing a barbarian hat and fighting my way through a terrible month, thanks for that! :)

@ToniD Thanks! The more I edit through it and actually enjoy playing out the scenes in my head, the more I do feel proud of this damn thing :) I can't wait to get home and resume editing!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Congrats on the screenplay! I'm envious.

Recently, I realized that I needed to write better dialogue. In my opinion, a book can contain some wooden dialogue and get away with it. A screenplay can't. But I didn't want to write one of those books that gets away with it.

So in preparation for my current WIP, I read the screenplays of some of my favorite movies and I think it's really helped. I guess the readers will eventually determine whether it really helped.

Now I'm looking forward to writing a screenplay.

You should feel proud. What an accomplishment.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Ryan Gosling.........................

Oh, sorry. Ahem. (Wipes drool from face.)

"Boys" are dumb. (Note that I am not talking about MEN, which are a different kettle of fish.) That "boy" was super dumb. But hooray for writing fodder!

And yes, I know the OCD that is being a writer all too well. And I revel in it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
OMG.  The brain is a marvelous thing to manipulate.  Give it a deadline and it will knock itself out.  This is such a good message to give to all of us.  Thank you and
whether you win the contest or not, you are in line to win something big. 

·
Registered
834 Posts
Way to get things DONE! 
I did that with one of my books - took two days off from work and locked myself upstairs away from the family in order to get it ready for the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Contest.  I made it to the quarterfinals, too! 
I was going to do it again this month, so that I could finish my current novel, but work is so busy that I couldn’t figure out when to go (maternity leaves, etc).  Finally I hunkered down and worked on the novel every evening after the kids went to bed and on the weekends during naptime.  And lo and behold, my first draft is complete! 
Your story is a good reminder that we have to keep fighting the good fight - write, write, write even when there doesn’t seem to be a single scrap of time to squeeze it in.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Rachel thank you! Usually I'm the one needing the reminder, so it was nice for me to figure it out this time ;)

@Jeff thank you! And I agree that more exposures to screenplays can tighten up dialogue; it's remarkable how quickly you realize that you need to get to the point, when the block of writing builds up so fast, and when "white space" is so essential in screenplays...it's all about those "perfect lines" ;) I wish you luck in writing your screenplay, it's the best writing experience I've had to date!

@Michael thanks, it's a needed boost! In my ultimate dream scenario, this becomes a movie and plays in his local theater, he watches it, and then...*gasp*....haha, wow I clearly need some sleep :p

@Shea have you seen the trailer for Ryan Gosling's new movie?..I forget what it's called but he's actually in a romantic comedy of sorts, and the DROOOOL factor is at a max.... :eek:

@Consuelo thank you! And I'm telling you, as someone who sits here just having entered the contest twenty minutes before it closes at midnight...those deadlines are KEY!!

@Julie congrats on placing with the novel and finishing your latest first draft! For me this has definitely been an exercise in MAKING time, and a gratifying one at that :)

@Mel thank you! This was the best free therapy ever!! ;)

Okay, so guys....it's nine minutes before midnight, and guess who just entered her FINISHED screenplay into the contest which closes today?? THIS GIRL!!! Hooray for deadlines, and hooray for being inspired by less-than-happy endings ;) I also have to say that I have never been prouder of anything I've written. And with that....GOOD NIGHT!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts