Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done with a .99 sale and before submitting my price increase to KDP I made sure that both B&N and Kobo (the only two places it was discounted) had raised it back to $4.99. Once that was done, I submitted $4.99 to KDP, making sure I checked the 70% royalty.

Sure enough, they send the "you're published" email and it shows live...but they discounted it to .99! What the hell?

Last year when I ran a promo I had the same issue. Then, when it finally got fixed they paid me 35% royalty on $4.99 for several books, saying that I hadn't checked the 70%. In the first place, who would take 35% on a book when they can get 70%? They have that option only to confuse people if you ask me. Secondly, I do know that I checked 70% the first, second, third, etc time I submitted the price increase...but they said I hadn't.  They refused to pay me the difference and it cost me a few hundred. When I complained they said they elected not to do anything about it and the issue was closed.

Now the same thing appears to be happening. I called Author Central and they sent an internal email and explained it all...but how long before it's fixed and at what royalty?  Grrrrr. I made sure they told KDP I checked 70% and that the special on Bookbub says "NO LONGER AVAILABLE".  In the meantime I have guest posts that were going to run, but I don't want them running with my book at .99.

Why do they make something so easy so difficult?

Obviously I'm not really looking for anyone here to answer me, just ranting. It would be so nice if things went smoothly with them.

Oh, and I was humming along nicely on sales but the book is at a dead standstill. NO one can tell me that something didn't happen during the time this whole price submission was being processed (and processed wrong).

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I've had this happen too. Apparently the Amazon spiders crawl around looking at cached prices, or something. If you object and send them links, they will usually fix it pretty quickly, but it's really annoying that their spiders aren't programmed to only crawl around looking for current prices.

Hope they fix it soon!

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Email them and show them the links where it's back to regular price. Their spiders are looking at cached pages, but once you show the regular price at all their competitors to a live person, it will be back to regular price probably by tonight. Otherwise, it could take up to 2 weeks or more for them to get it right if you don't contact them.

This hapens every time I try to raise my price.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If memory serves, you can't choose the 70% option if you want to price your books differently in other markets.  I tried this in the past when I wanted to make my book 99c in all markets but the US.  I wasn't getting any sales from the other domains so what did I have to lose?  Well, you lose the 70% royalty option if you want to mix prices.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
SBJones said:
If memory serves, you can't choose the 70% option if you want to price your books differently in other markets. I tried this in the past when I wanted to make my book 99c in all markets but the US. I wasn't getting any sales from the other domains so what did I have to lose? Well, you lose the 70% royalty option if you want to mix prices.
Yes and no. I price differently in all markets, but within reason. I don't simply let Amazon set the price based on the US price (I go in and tinker with it to make it end on a 9 and allow for the VAT), and I'm still getting 70%.

It's only when you want to mix and match between prices that would give you 70% and those that take you out of 70% that you'll lose 70%.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AUthor Central sent an email for me and I just sent one, too because of the suggestion to include links. Thanks, great idea. I was wondering if those spiders saw the .99 listing on Bookbub but don't recognized the words "No longer available" so I sent them that link, too.  :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts