Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying this last week to break my habit of checking all the sales reports everywhere first thing each morning, as it can really impact my day. Slow sales can make my enthusiasm for my new project drop a little. Good sales can make me run around all manic.

I don't like checking them before bed either, as then I start racing around in my head--I should promote this one MORE! Or why does everyone hate this one? LOL.

I wonder if I can make myself not look for five days in a row.

Nah. Never happen.

(Side note: Kobo is making me happy lately. So weird. Took three months to make my first $100 there, but now it looks like it will be monthly.)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I completely judge my day by my sales....it can really have a positive or negative effect.

Like you, I ought not to look at my figures when I wake up, but I can't help it. Since making Inside Evil free, sales have been increasing, so of course, every morning I check in on stats and Top 100 listings. Yesterday I'd sold a copy of the sequel...then I looked at Amazon and saw a three star review. It was actually a good review, saying she liked the book and she may well have been the person who then went on and bought The Tower of Souls. Still, it had a negative effect on me for a few hours.

I'm sure we'll never stop checking...it's too addictive. But it sure does have an affect on my mood!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I have no sales, so I'm in the deepest pits of hell all month.
ARRRRGGLLL!   :p

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Some days when sales are slow I wonder why the hell I'm doing this. Then I think about my current WIP and realize I don't have a choice.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Not sales so much. By now I've gotten used to having good sales when I've done some sort of promo and then things drop way down in-between.

What I can't stop doing is checking for reviews! Someone please stop me!

I've recently suffered a spate of not-good reviews (which I'm attributing to male readers who grabbed my book during the last freebie run and expect hard sci-fi despite my decidedly not-hard-sci-fi cover. Yeah, I'm sticking to that).

It's knocked me down to 4.2 average which means I've lost even a partial fifth star.  It's driving me nuts. NUTS, I tell you!

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Quiss said:
which I'm attributing to male readers
Ah, another thing we're getting the blame for, now. Toilet seats, the empty carton of milk in the fridge, the toilet paper roll core on the dispenser, getting lost, and now bad reviews.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
vrabinec said:
Ah, another thing we're getting the blame for, now. Toilet seats, the empty carton of milk in the fridge, the toilet paper roll core on the dispenser, getting lost, and now bad reviews.
Give me a minute and I'll come up with some more. :)

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Don't forget looking at every skirt that goes by!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
vrabinec said:
You BLAME us for that? :eek: What the...?
Of course! Or, as we say here in France: oeuf corse!

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Oh, and the ladies don't look? Did you see the thred where Hugh showed off his abs? "Cleanup, aisle nine! Wet floor!"

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Quiss said:
I think that actually means "rough eggs"

So, rough eggs, vrabinec, suck it up!

(I think we might have hijacked the thread at this point. Sorry, Betty)
Ahaha! Actually it's "egg from Corsica"! ;D ;D ;D (Corsican egg?)

vrabinec said:
Oh, and the ladies don't look? Did you see the thred where Hugh showed off his abs? "Cleanup, aisle nine! Wet floor!"
I never look at men's skirts. I swear.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
While I hate to interupt this interesting tit-for-tat (am I going to get quilted for that?), back to the OP...

I'm trying to force myself to not let a single day's results get me down. Despite knowing that Amazon's reporting can lag behind, its been difficult to focus more on monthly trends than a specific day's results.

That being said, if I see a day where sales fall by 50% or more, I do get in a funk.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Funny how this thread came up as I just decided not to check until I can press the publish button again; all the checking is driving me up the wall and making me rather unproductive.  ;D

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm definitely in the check sales first thing in the morning club. I console myself about lagging US sales with the dramatic uptick in UK sales over the past month. I combine those two numbers to make myself feel good (or not). I've stopped checking the rank graph since that can be way more depressing or uplifting than sales numbers.

My sequel is coming out next week and I'm telling myself that it takes months for momentum to build, but will that stop the depression of seeing low numbers? Nah.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I've got so many titles now that everything balances out from day to day. I've never had a runaway hit with any of my books or series, but sometimes new launches are particularly disappointing, because you always hope this is the one.

We have a retail business, and I noticed the $ of daily sales really affected my mood, so I just stopped checking. My book sales are too easy to check, though, so I haven't broken that habit yet.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Dalya said:
My book sales are too easy to check, though, so I haven't broken that habit yet.
Me neither. I kind of wish I had started self-pubbing BEFORE the whole smartphone thing. Even when I'm with friends, I check KDP. *sigh*

1 - 20 of 45 Posts