Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was aiming for 100, hit 150, then when I hit 160 copies of the Unearthing sold on Sunday, I jokingly said I wondered if I could hit 175 by mont's end...and I DID!

Okay, 170 sales are in the US and 5 are in the UK, but still...dare I aim to sell 200 copies of The Unearthing, next month?  Dare I say 200 copies of Through Darkness and Stars as well?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The day isn't out yet - you *could* aim for the pie in the sky and get 200 by midnight! - hey, if we don't dream with each other, who can we dream with, right?

That's a big achievement, and I can't wait to see if you can double it in July!  ;D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That is fantastic! I do the same thing - I have a goal that's reasonable, and then I go beyond it some and aim for that. Think about doubling 175 for next month. I'll bet you it will not only happen, but you'll exceed that goal. Someone told me once that after getting to 100, your sales double and keep doubling. It sounds crazy, but sales can go up exponentially.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dawsburg said:
I'm extremely baffled as to what authors do to get such high numbers. At my peak way back when I could only get about 30 in a month...and I wasn't doing a thing different from what everyone's been doing. It's rather frustrating.
In my case, regular tweets and Facebook posts, and I dropped the price of the books from $2.25 each to $0.99. Not making as much money, but more importantly, I'm getting more readers. I may or may not, when I finally get the damn thing written, try upselling the third volume of the Omniverse series for $2.25 again, see how it sells.

I also managed to get one of my books reviewed on an SF blogsite; that must have influenced my numbers as well.

I should actually be doing a hell of a lot more marketing than Twitter and Facebook, but I just don't have that kind of time.

Keep in mind, that's only 1 book that's selling so well. 175 for The Unearthing; after 10 days of publishing, 17 copies of Through Darkness and Stars...and 2 of Oh Well, Whatever, Never Mind (But that one's another issue altogether).

Keep at it, and don't forget: Just as with regular publishing, self-publishing is a hurry-up-and-wait, roller-coaster-with-layovers process. My April sales were crap, and only started picking up in May.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Dawsburg said:
I'm extremely baffled as to what authors do to get such high numbers. At my peak way back when I could only get about 30 in a month...and I wasn't doing a thing different from what everyone's been doing. It's rather frustrating.
It can be frustrating if you're not selling and you don't know why. I highly suggest getting some feedback from other authors on your book, cover, and blurb. It can be tough taking criticism depending on what they say, but if you're doing everything you can and it's just not taking off, it might help to get some feedback. The best thing about indie publishing is we can "fix" just about anything. Too much telling in the book? Revise and replace the text file. Not a cover that gets attention? Design a new one. Blurb trouble? Rewrite.

Fixing things can be a pain, but if it leads to hundreds of sales it's definitely worth it!

Vicki

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What Victorine said: I took tons of advice (and abuse) for The Unearthing's cover, took not nearly enough for Never Mind, and I somehow managed to get everything spot on with the cover for Darkness, thanks to recalling the previous feedback I'd gotten.

Still working on an alternate cover for Never Mind, which might be reflected in it's crap sales.

Take a little advice, and constructive criticism.  The people on the KB who are selling enough to live (or at least pay for their coffee) off their writing know what of they speak, though some of them can be less than diplomatic, the advice is sincere.

·
Registered
328 Posts
SteveKarmazenuk said:
In my case, regular tweets and Facebook posts, and I dropped the price of the books from $2.25 each to $0.99. Not making as much money, but more importantly, I'm getting more readers. I may or may not, when I finally get the d*mn thing written, try upselling the third volume of the Omniverse series for $2.25 again, see how it sells.

I also managed to get one of my books reviewed on an SF blogsite; that must have influenced my numbers as well.

I should actually be doing a hell of a lot more marketing than Twitter and Facebook, but I just don't have that kind of time.

Keep in mind, that's only 1 book that's selling so well. 175 for The Unearthing; after 10 days of publishing, 17 copies of Through Darkness and Stars...and 2 of Oh Well, Whatever, Never Mind (But that one's another issue altogether).

Keep at it, and don't forget: Just as with regular publishing, self-publishing is a hurry-up-and-wait, roller-coaster-with-layovers process. My April sales were crap, and only started picking up in May.
I tend to be a bit easily disillusioned--partly because of the horrible time I've already had getting the thing done and out in the first place.

But it's terribly difficult to barely squeak out a couple sales and watch all the others with gigantic sales fly past.

However, I've got to give it a little more time...Incognito was just released today. I'm extremely sure of the content, and the cover...I don't see how anyone could have complaints about it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Congrats Steve! What an amazing accomplishment!

Dawsburg said:
And Dawn Dawson one thing I noticed.

- Your book-covers are very hard to read in Thumbnail size. The author-name & title especially. Remember, your cover appears in more places in it's small size (Also Bought, Listmania, etc..) than it does in full size. A strong cover can really help your sales out. You've already got some great reviews..so I bet your cover is surfacing (in its small size) in those areas.

·
Registered
328 Posts
T.J. Dotson said:
Congrats Steve! What an amazing accomplishment!

And Dawn Dawson one thing I noticed.

- Your book-covers are very hard to read in Thumbnail size. The author-name & title especially. Remember, your cover appears in more places in it's small size (Also Bought, Listmania, etc..) than it does in full size. A strong cover can really help your sales out. You've already got some great reviews..so I bet your cover is surfacing (in its small size) in those areas.
Can't do too much about the cover in reality. The designer just moved back to Europe today and won't have Internet for weeks. There is a valid point, but I can't do much about it.

Especially with Incognito, on which the title already spans the width of the cover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.