Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all once again!

Well, last month was my best month so far, in terms of sales: 93 copies of The Unearthing and...2 for Oh Well, Whatever, Never Mind.

Unearthing's sales have been increasing - I hope to break my first 100-sale month this month - but Never Mind's sales have, actually, been getting worse - if you can believe it. I think one month I sold 4 copies of the thing.

As much as I'd hoped that Never Mind would perform much better than it has, I'm wondering if it's become an albatross around my neck. Should I cut it loose? Especially since, by the end of this month, Through Darkness and Stars will launch, I'm wondering if it's not such a bad idea.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I guess I wonder, why? It's not losing you money, correct? Is it getting bad reviews or have overwhelming criticism from the public?

My opinion--don't pull it, if it's well-written and isn't hurting you financially. But that's just me, of course, without knowing more details. Everything I've seen says that books sometimes take a while to get rolling.

Have you tried submitting it to reviewers? Tweaking the blurb? Try a new cover? "Gifting" copies to friends so they'll spread the word about your release? Adjusted your price any? Just some ideas.

I'm struggling with mine too. It's not doing well. That's okay--for me, it's a marathon, not a sprint. It doesn't hurt my "rep" to have it up there, even if it's not selling like hotcakes. I'm proud of the story and the work I did. Do you feel the same way? If so, keep trying!

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I wouldn't pull it.  You never know how these things will go.  I have one book that is selling really well...RIG.  It is not the book I am most proudest of, but it seems to be the one people want to buy.  However, I have noticed that, as people read that one, they do start checking out my other works.  I would love for my Sin-Eater series or my thriller After the Snowfall to be the runaway hit...but if people want to read RIG, then I say let them.  I had fun writing it.

I did pull a book once, though.  When I first started publishing, I only had a few books and made an ebook out of an early (very, very bad) novel.  When I had started to get some notice from other books I published, I had to pull that one.  It was rather embarassing to have out there.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My one question would be whether the book is any good? In your opinion, is it strong, and does it review well? If the quality is okay, I'd just reduce it or use it as a free read, spread it around, and/or make it a contest freebie - i.e., send proof of purchase for another book, and get this one free, or for signing up on a mailing list, etc.

If it's good, use it. Either reduce the price and give it more time, or use it to bolster the sales of your other works.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I looked at both thumbnails and then the enlarged versions. I think the problem is in the cover. In The Unearthing, we can clearly see by its simplicity (space ship/earth) that this is a sci-fi, so the sci-fi fan base can easily find your book. The image on other book is really hard to discern (roller skate?) and so is the wording. Make it easy for your target audience to see what they are buying. PJ

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
PJJones said:
I looked at both thumbnails and then the enlarged versions. I think the problem is in the cover. In The Unearthing, we can clearly see by its simplicity (space ship/earth) that this is a sci-fi, so the sci-fi fan base can easily find your book. The image on other book is really hard to discern (roller skate?) and so is the wording. Make it easy for your target audience to see what they are buying. PJ
I don't know - you can't get much more iconic to the grunge rock scene than Doc Martins. I felt the tone of the book right away from the cover. (Though, I also thought it might be about Skin Heads.)

ETA: I agree the title is a bit hard to read, though.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
SteveKarmazenuk said:
Hello all once again!

Well, last month was my best month so far, in terms of sales: 93 copies of The Unearthing and...2 for Oh Well, Whatever, Never Mind.

Unearthing's sales have been increasing - I hope to break my first 100-sale month this month - but Never Mind's sales have, actually, been getting worse - if you can believe it. I think one month I sold 4 copies of the thing.

As much as I'd hoped that Never Mind would perform much better than it has, I'm wondering if it's become an albatross around my neck. Should I cut it loose? Especially since, by the end of this month, Through Darkness and Stars will launch, I'm wondering if it's not such a bad idea.
I wouldn't pull it.

I would urge you to put up a completely different cover, though. I believe that's what's really hurting you, there.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
One question I had.  If an author pulls a book, what happens to the copies that people have bought?  Do they disappear from their Kindles or Archive?

Or maybe the novel is just not sold any more?  Can a person still get it from their archive if they have deleted it?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I wouldn't pull it, but figure out what's going on.  Is it the blurb?  Marketing?  Or just timing issues... I see a lot of people are struggling this month. 

Maybe have a special week of free excerpts from the book?  Offer a peek of it in your book that's selling? 

I don't know... but I would look into it before pulling the book.  :)

-jb 8)

G

·
Franklin Eddy said:
One question I had. If an author pulls a book, what happens to the copies that people have bought? Do they disappear from their Kindles or Archive?

Or maybe the novel is just not sold any more? Can a person still get it from their archive if they have deleted it?
Removing the book from sale just makes it impossible to buy new copies. I doesn't do anything in regard to copies already purchased.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Franklin Eddy said:
One question I had. If an author pulls a book, what happens to the copies that people have bought? Do they disappear from their Kindles or Archive?

Or maybe the novel is just not sold any more? Can a person still get it from their archive if they have deleted it?
Amazon (and, I assume, other eBook retailers) reserve the right to store copies of any book a customer already purchased so it can be re-downloaded at will in the future, by the people who own it.

That's part of the basic KDP contract language, actually. So yes, if you buy the only copy of LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE DOES DALLAS, in which she's the one who shot J.R. Ewing... even if CBS sues the author into removing the book from sale... your copy will always be there for you, and you'll be the only person who can prove it wasn't Mary Crosby's character after all, but Little Orphan Annie... :)

·
Registered
982 Posts
SteveKarmazenuk said:
Hello all once again!

I agree with the others. The problem is your cover(s).

YouSomeone made the comment about the Doc Martins being iconic to the grunge rock scene or something, but I had never even heard of that association. And to be honest, it took me a while to figure out what the cover said and depicted, even when looking at the page on Amazon.

The cover isn't doing you any favors.

To be honest, I think you could get a better cover for the book that is selling well too. A single look at the cover made me think it was a book about an alien invasion during the fifties.

That type of UFO looks very... old. It's not sleek like most are. It's like comparing a fifties' car to a 2011 car.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Without reading the other comments I can say right off the bat that your cover does nothing for me. It doesn't tell me anything about the genre or contents; as the thumbnail all I see are two boot prints and what I think is a leg. Try updating that to something more catchy then attempt some promotion before taking it down. Or, forget about it and leave it as is, write a new book, and try to make it one of those books readers pick up when they like another of your novels. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Ryne Billings said:
I agree with the others. The problem is your cover(s).

You made the comment about the Doc Martins being iconic to the grunge rock scene or something, but I had never even heard of that association. And to be honest, it took me a while to figure out what the cover said and depicted, even when looking at the page on Amazon.

The cover isn't doing you any favors.

To be honest, I think you could get a better cover for the book that is selling well too. A single look at the cover made me think it was a book about an alien invasion during the fifties.

That type of UFO looks very... old. It's not sleek like most are. It's like comparing a fifties' car to a 2011 car.
I think it was me who made the comment about Doc Martins, and that was from my experience of highschool/college life in the 1990s. I might have been wrong, naturally.

Just didn't want the OP to take the hit for my comment. :)

ETA: A Google search seemed to support my memory. In any case, their use on the cover worked for me and was evocative of the era. Perhaps I am the only one, in which case, yes, the cover needs work. No one can make a living from selling books just to me.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I don't believe you can actually totally DELETE a book. Once it's published, it's up there for good. However, it can be changed to DRAFT, so nobody else can buy it. I believe this is so that the book remains in the Kindle accounts of folks who have already purchased it.

G

·
Both books were only released in March of this year. You hardly have three months of sales data yet!

The Unearthing is sci-fi, a genre that has traditionally done very well in the digital format (second only to romance/erotica, BTW).

Whatever is classified as LITERARY FICTION, a genre that traditionally sucks wind in digital format. The literary community has not yet really embraced the digital format, and those that have have not embraced indie publishing.

All things being equal, I would completely expect the first to outsell the second by ten to one.

The second issue is that the blurb for Unearthing reads like a sci-fi blurb. it is crystal clear to the target market what they are getting. The blurb for Whatever does not read like "literary fiction." It actually reads like softcore erotica, with a focus on bedhopping. :eek:

Third, literary readers are not attracted to "cheap reads" like genre readers are. The 99 cent price is probably hurting sales. Look at the bestseller list for literary fiction on Amazon. Unlike the various genres, it is dominated by books at $9.99 OR MORE. You don't find a single 99 cent book until you get to number 31 on the list. Compare that to the bestsellers list for some of the other genres.

Finally, literary readers do not discover new books like genre readers do. They are much more dependent on third-party critical reviewers and media buzz, whereas genre readers tend to go seek out new titles online.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Steve your blurb sounds great and intresting, but I am not sure about your cover. Just my opinion, looking at shoe tracks make me think murder/mystery...... certainly not the genre of your book. But I could be wrong, just must 2c worth.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts