Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1-star review that says: "A Great Book, But Buy it New Not Used - I made the mistake of buying this as a used book... But it was too well worn to give as a gift..."

On the one hand - annoying, right? Don't people realize that a bad review hurts the author, not the seller who sold a worn out copy?

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to have affected the overall star rating. And it might be good to have a 1-star review that says it's a great book. Also might encourage people to buy it new, rather than used. :)

Would you guys ask Amazon to take down such a review? Is there any chance they would?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Just ignore it, particularly if you have other reviews. It says you wrote a great book.

Yes, it's annoying, but your attention is better focused on writing another book. Just shake your head at it and move on.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Just forget it and move on. Anyone who has the ability to read that review will understand it's intent and disregard the rating.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Ignore it. There's nothing you can do about it anyway. Amazon will say it's valid, the customer's opinion, which it is, and they won't remove it.

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
What they said. I know it's frustrating to have your star average pulled down by a review that's not about your story or writing, but it happens sometimes. At least it's not a review that reflects badly on the book, only the seller of the used copy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's an annoying situation for sure, but it would be best to ignore it. As a reader, I don't give a whole lot of credence to other people's star ratings. One of my favorite books has tons of 1-star reviews. (It's a very polarizing book...)

·
Registered
145 Posts
If it doesn't affect your average rating, ignore it. Like someone else said, if your one-star reviews are clearly not even about the contents of the book, that's not so bad.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Agreed...I frequently read the one-star reviews on many things I consider buying and automatically sort them into 'Seems legit' or 'This person is just a bozo' mentally. The later category doesn't usually affect my buying decision.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
jdcore said:
Imagine you're a reader scrolling and you decide to check out the one star review and see, "This is a great book. Spend extra on a new copy. The used copies have been loved too hard."

I don't see a down side.
This.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Got a two star and the reader who left thought she had given away the ending so put spoiler alert. The funny part was it was not even a spoiler and not even the main mystery of the book.

I felt like commenting...."are you fricken that stupid!"

You get all kinds of weirdness in reviews, it tends to even out good and bad.

Mark

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ignore and move on, happy that at least they said it was a great book. (Congrats on that.)

The opinion of someone who bought a second-hand book, read it, and then intended to gift it, isn't worth worrying about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts