Kindle Forum banner

81 - 100 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
mooshie78 said:
Yeah, portability is less of an issue for me. I do have a light laptop that I use for any work that requires typing (when not at home or the office where I have desktops).

But being a college professor/researcher I do a ton of reading of scholarly journal articles, and I need the bigger screen for those since most are pages too big for a 7" screen (especially with all the tables and figures). Some are even too big for the iPad screen even (i.e. 8.5x11" pages with two or three columns of small print text) and end up having to get read half page at a time in landscape which is annoying.

The portability issue is also kind of moot for most guys I think. Since we don't have purses, we're going to need a briefcase/attache bag or back pack to carry a 7" or 10" tablet around, where as for you gals a 7" tablet will easily fit in most purses thus very easy to take everywhere. No tablet is portable for me--heck even my Kindle isn't really--since I don't normally have any kind of bag with me when out and about. Other than going back and forth from work where I have my attache bag with my iPad and any documents/books I'm carrying around for current work. My iPhone is my only real portable gadget since that can go in a pocket and is thus always with me. :D
HUh, and all this time I thought you were a woman! LOL

We are doing an e-reader pilot here at work and the intent is to find out which e-readers do much of what you described for employees that travel. Like readng .pdfs, etc. I'm piloting a Nook Simple Touch and find .pdfs scope really well to it. I do like the e-ink screen for .pdfs.

So anyway, YES! For someone who always in the past kept a paperback book in her purse everywhere she went....a Kindle is a boon and the Fire isnt too bad either, just heavier. :)

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
lol :D

Yeah, for me no e-readers work since the PDFs I read are full of tables and diagrams (lots of statistical analyses) that can't be reflowed to work on a small screen.  Only option is a big screen tablet, reading them on a laptop, or just printing them out.  For people dealing with PDFs that are just text, those can often be reflowed and would work well on a Kindle/other e-reader or small screen tablet.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I have posted by early review of the TeckNet lighted $79 Kindle 4/$69 Kindle 5 cover here:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,130865.msg1930814.html#msg1930814

Here is a comparison shot:

The TeckNet cover is nice, but I'm not quite convinced of the bluer hue of the TeckNet light. This will require further experimenting.

I also how one new idea, to create a "hood" for the lighted Amazon leather cover to remedy the "it shines in your eyes" problem. I will see how those experiments compare with the TeckNet.

Oh boy, why didn't I just stick to my Kindle 3 Keyboard and the Amazon lighted cover for that! ;)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
bordercollielady said:
I like the blue light.. soothing to the eyes.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that is one of those things that comes down to personal preference - and also to what one is used to. Because I'm used to the warmer Amazon light, the blue is a bit strange. Glad to hear you like it!

I'll continue looking at different options and will settle on something eventually. :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
OK, so another angle to this... fixing the Amazon $79 Kindle 4/$69 Kindle 5 lighted cover... with a piece of cardboard.

Turns out, a potentially great solution! Here's what I made earlier...

More photos: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,131020.0.html

No more light shining in my eyes, yay! :D

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
A week and a half ago I came to the conclusion I can't stand the Kindle Paperwhite frontlight or the Kindle 4 official lighted cover's light shining in my eyes when reading in the dark (which is when I do most of my reading) and set out to find a solution... I wanted a Kindle upgrade and a perfect light solution.

I think I've come to a solution now, so here's a summary of the three options I listed in my starting message on this thread - and how those turned out for me:

1) Using a lighted cover or clip-on light with Kindle Paperwhite, to avoid using frontlight

This is certainly an option I could research more than I have, but the lack of suitable lighted covers (and not really a desire to go the clip-on route because PW is quite heavy as it is) means it hasn't gone and probably won't go anywhere. Also the PW clearly has inferior text blackness compared to the $69 Kindle 5, which together with the touch and light layers detract from that superior e-ink experience I so love. Upsides for the PW would be the touch interface and better software features, but I don't think those alone can push me away from the baby Kindle 5 as my primary reader. I'll keep the PW, though, and see how the software and accessory options develop over the year, but I see a passive future for the PW for the time being.

This is what a lighted cover could look like with the Kindle PW:

2) Finding a better lighted cover for the new $69 Kindle 5, one that won't shine in the eyes

The other option has been to upgrade to Kindle 5, which should be an upgrade over Kindle 4 (and as we now know, is), and at the same time find a better cover, one that improves on the lackluster Kindle 4/5 official cover and especially won't shine in my eyes. Black Kindle 5 is the easy part, and as reviewed above in the thread, indeed is a meaningful upgrade over its last-year predecessor thanks to the darker color and blacker text on screen.

As for the case, it turns out, the options are rather limited. Most lighted covers still use separate batteries and can be quite bulky (not much better than using a clip-on light). The only example I found is the TeckNet lighted cover mentioned and linked to earlier in this thread, which does have an adjustable light arm meaning it can be pointed away from the eyes. TeckNet does integrate almost as well as the official cover with the Kindle 4 and 5 (and takes its power from the device which is great), but I'm not a big fan of the bluer hue its light produces.

Official lighted cover for $79 Kindle 4/$69 Kindle 5 on the left, TeckNet cover on the right:

3) Modding the Amazon official lighted cover, so it won't shine in the eyes

Third option, that I didn't really consider much at the time of starting this thread, was modding the Amazon lighted cover to fix the glare issue. This option became a more potential one once I saw how much better the new Kindle 5 is compared to the PW in my opinion and started to think of sticking to Kindle 5 instead of Kindle PW. What sealed the deal was that the TeckNet cover wasn't looking like the perfect solution to my woes either - so I set out to mod the case. Turns out, just a piece of cardboard and double-sided tape and no light shines in the eyes anymore. KimberlyinMN and others have also used gaffer's tape, which seems like another great solution for this problem. The key is to use something thin and adhesive that can cover the top of the light extending somewhat beyond the light arm towards the right and the bottom of the Kindle.

Here is my black cardboard in use, it stops the glare and still allows normal operation (opening, closing etc.) of the light and case:

So, I think I've got a solution I am finally happy with! Kindle 5 is superior to Kindle 4 thanks to the new blacker text on the screen - and with the modded lighted cover the most glaring problem is fixed, without taking away from the utility of the cover. In the end, the differences are minor compared to my Kindle setup of the last 12 months: the case is the same plus just one piece of cardboard, the new $69 Kindle 5 is mostly the same as the old $79 Kindle 5, plus a blacker color and blacker text that add a lot of contrast.

But minor as it may be, it all adds up to a major difference! Finally, something to rival my old Kindle 3 Keyboard in every way (that I foolishly gave away to family at the time I got the Kindle 4), just in a smaller, niftier package... At least judging by the reading marathon of last night, I am finally content in a way I haven't been with either Kindle 4 or Kindle PW. :)

End of this rant! :D Feel free to post your solutions though, if you have been struggling like I was. Now, off to read...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I hate the hotspot a light causes. If my PW wasn't a good one, I probably would have gotten the Fire instead.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
NanD said:
I hate the hotspot a light causes. If my PW wasn't a good one, I probably would have gotten the Fire instead.
I know some feel that way. Personally I find a single light hotspot less troubling than four small ones at the bottom and other uneveness of the PW screen. Overall I feel the lighted cover with $69 Kindle 5 is the more even light compared to PW frontlight. YMMV. :)

Completely other issue is does one like the PW frontlight. It looks completely different than e-ink with reading light. Some like it, others do not.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Discussion about the Kindle 3 Keyboard vs. Kindle PW elsewhere prompted me to think about something:

I wonder if the current Kindle 3 Keyboard has now the same screen as the $69 Kindle 5? It might simply because sourcing screen parts is easier if you use the same one, unless Amazon has excessive old stock of K3K. Kindle 3 Keyboard with the new darker screen might be excellent. Who knows if the internals are now a little faster too, component changes and revisions over long-lived hardware is nothing new after all. Anyone have experience of a fresh Kindle 3 Keyboard? Almost tempts me to buy a new Kindle 3 Keyboard and check it out. :) Oh well, I do think the new slimmer cases (with a glare-fixed light) are probably better than the old Kindle 3 Keyboard book-style though, so I think not.

By the way: I have been very happy with my $69 Kindle 5 with "glare-fixed" lighted cover. So in that sense my initial feelings on this solution have remained the same. I'm not sure a K3K with its thicker lighted cover would actually feel like an improvement for me now, even if the internals and screen were updated. I am spoiled by the thin and small $69 Kindle 5 Amazon case.

That said, if anyone has experience of a new late 2012-purchased Kindle Keyboard vs. an old 2010 version, feel free to share.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My K3K is about a year old now and still works fabulously. I dl'd the most recent software update and am enjoying that. The covers I use are the lighted Amazon cover and several M-edge covers with their flexible, lo-med-hi booklight.

The M-edge is what I ended up using even though the light has to be babied along. It gradually looses it's ability to bend and also looses the ability to lock into the semi-upright position most comfortable for reading. After returning one light, I just use a rubberband to hold it in place for easy reading.

The Amazon lighted cover light was comparatively weak and didn't really shine well on the Kindle. Bending it with a pair of long-nose pliers sort of worked. The steel is very springy and difficult to bend permanently. Also didn't want too much of a bend that would make the light difficult to push back into the cover.

I resisted the GlowNook for several months; finally succumbed this summer and haven't used my Kindle or Sony 650 Touch since! I love the lighted screen and the font choices as well as sizes so I can read without my glasses. The screen is clear enough to turn off the light in well-lighted areas and there are physical page turn buttons on both sides of the screen; top pages forward and bottom pages back. Even tho I'm right-handed, I usually hold e-readers in my left hand so end up using the physical page turn buttons most of the time. I wish the touch page turn could be changed like the Sony so that touching at the left edge of the screen would page forward (well the Sony is a swipe).

The light on the Nook tends to have dark shadows in some areas of the page sometimes. This varies by page rather than by book although some books seem to have much larger, darker areas. There is no screen discoloration. I can live with the shadow areas as they aren't usually large or especially dark.

Nighttime reading is so enjoyable now that I don't have to try to keep a light at the proper angle for reading in bed!

::) Now the new Kindle Fire HD 8.9" screen is calling me for magazines and Amazon Prime LOL  ::)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use my KK with the Amazon lighted cover, have been for about two years. Nothing else has called to me. I like the idea of the Paperwhite, and not having to use an external light, but I will wait for V2. I will probably not leave the Kindle family simply because of the labor involved in converting and sorting my entire library...again.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Desertway said:
I use my KK with the Amazon lighted cover, have been for about two years. Nothing else has called to me. I like the idea of the Paperwhite, and not having to use an external light, but I will wait for V2. I will probably not leave the Kindle family simply because of the labor involved in converting and sorting my entire library...again.
I was right where you are, and probably still am, but the PW I saw at Best Buy was very tempting...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
FearIndex said:
Discussion about the Kindle 3 Keyboard vs. Kindle PW elsewhere prompted me to think about something:

I wonder if the current Kindle 3 Keyboard has now the same screen as the $69 Kindle 5? It might simply because sourcing screen parts is easier if you use the same one, unless Amazon has excessive old stock of K3K. Kindle 3 Keyboard with the new darker screen might be excellent. Who knows if the internals are now a little faster too, component changes and revisions over long-lived hardware is nothing new after all. Anyone have experience of a fresh Kindle 3 Keyboard? Almost tempts me to buy a new Kindle 3 Keyboard and check it out. :) Oh well, I do think the new slimmer cases (with a glare-fixed light) are probably better than the old Kindle 3 Keyboard book-style though, so I think not.

By the way: I have been very happy with my $69 Kindle 5 with "glare-fixed" lighted cover. So in that sense my initial feelings on this solution have remained the same. I'm not sure a K3K with its thicker lighted cover would actually feel like an improvement for me now, even if the internals and screen were updated. I am spoiled by the thin and small $69 Kindle 5 Amazon case.

That said, if anyone has experience of a new late 2012-purchased Kindle Keyboard vs. an old 2010 version, feel free to share.
I just wanted to share a few notes after six+ months using the $69 Kindle "5" with the lighted Amazon leather cover plus the carboard glare-fix on the lighted cover I mentioned earlier in this thread... Again, this was after my disappointment with the Kindle Paperwhite and the $79 Kingle "4" with lighted Amazon leather cover and after testing various other things and solutions, some of which are linked in my signature and covered earlier in this thread.

I must say I have been very happy and have stopped looking for any other solutions (at least until the next big Kindle launch comes, you never know...). The $69 Kindle in black is really great contrast-wise and looks better in the black leather case than the previous $79 Kindle in grey did. The glare-fix (a piece of cardboard taped to the light) also fixes most of my issues with glare from the cover light and I really appreciate the improved screen on the latest baby Kindle, much better black text than in any other Kindle. Also, compared to where $79 Kindle 4 started, the Kindle 4/5 software has also matured nicely. Overall these small improvements and fixes push this to the best Kindle experience I've had. Finally.

A few niggles remain. The cover light is quite bright on the top bezel, meaning a little glare shines via the top of the Kindle. Some matte covering would help, but I haven't bothered. It is not much, but still I can't help thinking that Kindle 3 had the absolutely best lighted cover in this regard - it didn't bother me in any way. Nevertheless, the small form-factor of the Kindle 4/5 and its leather cover is certainly an improvement over Kindle 3, so there are always tradeoffs. (I love the small size.) The black $69 Kindle also likes fingerprints a little too much, but that is a minor worry.

I've read a great number of books with this combo in the past six months and after lackluster experiences with $79 Kindle 4 and Kindle Paperwhite, I'm finally as happy and happier as I was with the great Kindle 3. :) So, thinks works for me.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Quite interesting that this thread should just "pop up" when I logged in as I've been having a number of Kindle issues as well.  I had a Paperwhite with a splotchy screen.  Sorry, splotchy is the only way I can think to describe it.  Text was lighter in some places, darker (or bolder) in others.  Weird!!  I messed around with this PW for months thinking it was my eyes/glasses.  Finally I called Kindle CS and they agreed to send me a new unit.  It arrived and it was better - much better BUT...  the font still wasn't as dark/bold as on what I had to compare it to, namely the Touch.  Around this time I decided to sell my old Kindles - the Touch and a KK.  Of course, the KK sold first.  I wasn't too happy about it but conceded that I didn't need 3 Kindles.  I think it was the first time I've ever sold an electronic device and immediately wished I hadn't.  I was reading on here one day how a lot of people are going back to the KK because of the font.  I usually have sufficient light wherever I am reading.  If not, I turn on a lamp so the lighting isn't an issue for me.  I ended up looking around and buying a used/like new KK from Amazon.  Found my Oberon cover that I love but never was particularly happy using because I thought it weighed too much and think that this is my perfect Kindle!!  It feels like I'm reading a leather bound book, the Oberon cover is the absolute perfect one for me - Bold Celtic Knot in Saddle (not made any more in this color), put the charm on the bungee which feels kinda like an old bookmark and I'm happy as the proverbial pig in manure. 

But WAIT!!!  Something inside was pulling me towards the $69 Kindle 4 - or is it a 5 now since the newest one?  Anyway, I digress.  I ordered it.  OMG!!  I can't believe how clear and sharp and DARK the font is!!!  I had actually thought of the $69 Kindle to stay in my purse for reading at work.  And I'm thinking that is probably what I will do with it.  I just can't get past how good the Oberon feels now.  And I was one of the people who hated Oberons because of the weight, etc.  Yeah, I know... get an Oberon for the Baby Kindle but I don't think it would feel as good.  Maybe... later.

The moral of this story is I think the font contrast is far superior on the screens with lower resolution.  One has to give up a number of bells and whistles that make the newer Kindles more obedient but I'm willing to do that for the clear, crisp, dark text.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  :D

·
Super Moderator
67,287 Posts
A note about font contrast. . . . I don't see the difference you all describe between my PW and my basic Kindle BUT -- with the PW you can set the refresh to happen every page, rather than every 6th page or so, and that will work better for some people. From the home page, use the menu icon to go to settings and then reading options.  Turn Page Refresh ON.

For me, as I've said before, the PW is the best kindle I've owned.  I really prefer it over the basic just because of ease of control (touch screen vs 4 way toggle). The screen contrast seems about the same, but I prefer the PW lighting system to the cover-with-light which puts a bright spot on the screen of my Basic.  The size of either one is way better.  Before that I had the keyboard model.  Also great. . . . but the keyboard made it big.  Though it's size/shape/design was a definitely improvement over the original Kindle I had before that.  (Mind you, the little silvery thing that ran up and down when you turned the scroll wheel was slick. :) )

In short, it seems to me each newer model has gotten better (though I never have owned a 2nd gen or Touch model).

I completely agree that having a back up is a good thing. :D

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ann, I wish I could see your PW.  Not being sarcastic, I really DO wish I could see it.  I would much rather use my PW because of all its bells & whistles.  I happen to be one of the ones who loves the "how much time left" feature but, of course, it isn't available on the lower resolution screen (KK & Baby) Kindles.  I also love that Collections are alphabetized.  Soooooo, what does one trade off for?  I just pulled up a page on the Baby and the same page on the PW.  The font is washed out on the PW.  The color of the text is gray, not black.  I can make it better, not good but better - by using either Helvetica or MT Chinese Surrogate font BUT what does one do when the book has Publishers Font and can't be changed?  I'm really not happy having to give up my PW but my eyesight is just too bad to deal with less quality if I don't have to.  

P.S.  I even got paranoid about my eyesight and had others look at the PW compared to the Baby.  They also see the difference a mile away.  Maybe I should invite Uncle Jeff over for Show-And-Tell?  ::)

P.S.  When are you going to get around to Buried?  It is very good.  :)

·
Super Moderator
67,287 Posts
The font on my PW is plenty dark, and I've seen several others belonging to other folks.  I've never seen one where I'd characterize the print as 'gray'. :(  Maybe you should consider returning it for a replacement.  I assume you've played with various light levels and put the refresh on every page.  Or maybe you can find someone else in your area that has one so you can compare to figure out if it's the way your eyes see it, or if it truly is different.

As to my reading bar. . . . .I'm actually reading about 3 or 4 things, though only 2 show, and have way more than 2 in TBR as well. . . .no clue when I'll get to any particular book! :D  'Bout the only thing you can count on is the Recently read titles. . .though, even there, the one is actually a DNF. ::)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Wow I was surprised to read this thread again.   :eek:   Two Paperwhites here and we both love them.   But if we did not like them, we would have something else.  A e-book reader is too personal of a item, to keep something you do not like.  

81 - 100 of 287 Posts