Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
modwitch said:
I started. When I didn't know whether Lady Di should properly be called "lady" or "princess" on the day of her wedding, I stopped :D :D :D.

(It's a British test, and a passage about Diana and Charles's wedding).
That would still be "lady" since she was still to marry him, she only become a princess after that. I thought it was fun and most of the questions were to do with punctuation.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
They didn't proofread their test. There was no option to change, "The family of Dido Fayed, who wished to marry her..."

It would be rather outrageous if an entire family wished to marry Princess Diana. No copyeditor worth her salt should let that one go. And it's kind of a crummy test, because it doesn't test real-world proofreading ability.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
That was fun, thanks! And I passed :)

I did disagree with one thing. They marked me down because I queried whether it might be more correct to use Henry instead of Harry. Given that Prince Harry's legal name is actually Henry, I thought it was a valid query!

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Shayne Parkinson said:
That was fun, thanks! And I passed :)

I did disagree with one thing. They marked me down because I queried whether it might be more correct to use Henry instead of Harry. Given that Prince Harry's legal name is actually Henry, I thought it was a valid query!
I put Henry too as that is the name on his birth certificate! :p

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
My problem with it is that it wants you to not only proofread but to fact check. YES, I realize editors do that at some levels, but I don't think it's a function of a proofreader. If you say in order to proofread you  have to check every bit of the writer's research, I'm not sure any one charges enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts