Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The official release date of my second book is March 8th, but the book is all ready so I'm debating doing a soft release. I know there have been some posts about this before, but I'm wondering what your experiences are with each type of release. Any benefits or downfalls? I'd really love to hear your experiences!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
We were talking about that the other day over here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,141551.msg2071261.html#msg2071261

I did 2 hard launches this week. The 1st book peaked at #125 about 48 hours after launch and then rank started to fall. It dropped about 20 slots and then it jumped again (higher this time) when the 2nd wave of purchasers bought it about 5 days after release. I'm waiting to see if the same thing happens with book 2. It's 48 hours after release and it's holding around the top 100 in the kindle store.

Before now, I'd thought that the sales during the 1st 24 hours were weighted weaker than those that take place 48 hours later. That's based on sales and rank. FYI, I'm not seeing price playing the factor that I thought it played. I had a 99 cent book hit the top 100 recently. These two books are $2.99 and $3.99. They seem to move the same number of units to achieve that rank.

Anyway, if you have specific questions, feel free to ask. The 1st release was for a NA Romance Serial. The 2nd was a romance novel.

·
Registered
485 Posts
In my opinion, everything in a launch should be designed to maximize the sales in the first day or two.  The goal for me is to debut as high as possible on the sub genre bestseller and new releases lists, which then leads to maximum exposure and more sales.

We only control so many sales (mailing lists, ads, etc.), but if we can use them to vault into a position where we get more exposure that is the best we can do.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Holly,

I've noticed that bump, slight drop and then higher peak too.  I think that second bump is Amazon sending its "New Book by Blah Blah" type emails, and I think the more a book sells, the more support of that type you get from them.  I haven't hit top 100 like you, but the effect seems the same.  I still can't think of a reason not to do everything you can to focus those upfront sales into as concentrated a time as possible.

As far as price I haven't noticed a huge difference either.  Most of my stuff is $4.99 and moving to that doesn't seem to have reduced sales at all.  The only benefit I've sometimes noticed is a temporary sale clearly marked as such in the description (e.g. Try Book 1 of the blah blah series for just 99 cents for two days only).  Otherwise, I think most authors with regular prices below 3.99 or 4.99 are giving away sales dollars.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
holly w. said:
We were talking about that the other day over here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,141551.msg2071261.html#msg2071261

I did 2 hard launches this week. The 1st book peaked at #125 about 48 hours after launch and then rank started to fall. It dropped about 20 slots and then it jumped again (higher this time) when the 2nd wave of purchasers bought it about 5 days after release. I'm waiting to see if the same thing happens with book 2. It's 48 hours after release and it's holding around the top 100 in the kindle store.

Before now, I'd thought that the sales during the 1st 24 hours were weighted weaker than those that take place 48 hours later. That's based on sales and rank. FYI, I'm not seeing price playing the factor that I thought it played. I had a 99 cent book hit the top 100 recently. These two books are $2.99 and $3.99. They seem to move the same number of units to achieve that rank.

Anyway, if you have specific questions, feel free to ask. The 1st release was for a NA Romance Serial. The 2nd was a romance novel.
Thanks for the info and the other link :) In addition to the hard release, what other steps did you take to maximize the publicity of your book for release?

·
Registered
817 Posts
*peeks into the thread*

Based on the subject header, I really expected Vrabinec to have chimed in here with a TWSS joke by now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts