Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Kindle 2 just did an automatic software update? anyone else? does this happen a lot?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Leslie said:
How do you know? Did it come up and say something?

L
Mine just did. It made a clicking noise and the screen announced it was updating the software please wait. Then it said it was done and restarting.

Waiting for the restart to see what happens...

Updated: Now it is Version 2.01

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't hear a click, I just happened to glance over and saw the screen said it was updating software. it restarted and went to the homepage. it kept it's place in the book I am reading.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
mwb said:
Mine just did. It made a clicking noise and the screen announced it was updating the software please wait. Then it said it was done and restarting.

Waiting for the restart to see what happens...
Was the Whispernet on? Do you leave it sitting with the WN on?

Of course, if this Kindle is true to my last software upgrade experience, it will be next Saturday before mine decides to update itself.

L

·
Registered
220 Posts
Leslie said:

Of course, if this Kindle is true to my last software upgrade experience, it will be next Saturday before mine decides to update itself.

L
I turned it on and did a sync and check for new items.

Then mysteriously got an "Item Downloaded" but saw nothing appear, turned off the whispernet. Then a couple of minutes later the update installed.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Leslie said:

L
I was just thinking the same thing...You'll be lucky if you see this update anytime soon the way your luck is with them...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Leslie said:

L
You and me both Leslie.

For those that got the update--
There was one bug and one huge annoyance that I could think of on the boards.
Bug - Personal documents are not being shown under Personal Doc
Annoyance - The whole screen ghosting/refresh needed thing.

Either of those fixed?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am at work so can't really check it out to see what (if anything) changed. But in answer to questions.

Yes, whispernet was on. I had just been showing someone how to look a passage of a book up on google and set it back down on my desk when this happened.

I have no personal documents on it and had not noticed any ghosting.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just took it off sleep, and I might be crazy but my background might be lighter.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I'm so tempted to call CS and see if they know what this is for...But by past experience, they'll be clueless about it for a few more days.
I'm calling. They never got back to me on something else so I may as well

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you go to the Source Code Notices, you'll see a 2.0.1 version of the Source Code so that's probably why some people have gotten an upgrade. I'm not sure what it addresses, but everyone will probably get upgraded.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The below is from a forum on the mobireads site:

I compared the two source codes (2.0 and 2.01) and found a few changes/fixes in the kernel code, mainly related to:

- the power management routines of the i.MX31 CPU and MC13783 PMIC
- the battery charger routines
- the broadsheet watchdog timer
- the eInk frame buffer device
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40383&page=2

Maybe something to do with the Battery issues people are reporting... I suspect it has to do with the turning off the TTS feature.

Chris

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Teeth gnashing....

Per my call, CS was told by the tech group to expect calls re the update, but did not give CS the update details

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Wonder if it has anything to do with that one update being discussed in another thread...regarding Text 2 Speech feature being disabled on certain books? ???

1 - 20 of 129 Posts