Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am desperate for a K2, and the only way I can afford one is to sell my diamond and sapphire ring. So that's what I'm doing ... or trying to, anyway!

The ring is 14K yellow gold with white gold heads. It has a 1/2 carat diamond in the center with a trillion-cut sapphire on each side. I had the ring custom made at Bernard Lewis & Co. in Paducah KY.

The diamond is J-K in color, SI 1/2 in clarity, and comes with an IGI certificate. It's a beautiful ring!

I'm selling it for $500, which is quite a bargain, and it will allow me to get a K2 and an Oberon cover (mmm!).

Please take pity on me and buy my ring so I can afford a Kindle!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you tried taking it to a jeweler? With gold at an all-time high, you may get a better price that way. Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but apparently jewelers only pay you the scrap price for your gold.  I'd be trading it for trinkets and beads.  And while I have been known to make bad decisions, I can't justify selling a 1/2 carat diamond for the pittance a jeweler would give me.

I have the ring listed on a couple jewelry sites, so I'm hopeful it will sell.  But I'm also hopeful a fellow Kindle-lover will fall in love with my ring and be moved by my sob story and buy it from me.  =)

It doesn't hurt to ask, right??

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I didn't realize I left that out!  It's a size 7, and it could be resized if needed.  (It's never been resized before.)

I also have a pic of the certificate for the diamond, but it was showing up too big.  I could email it to anyone who asked, along with larger photos of the ring.

Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are larger versions of the above photos, along with a photo of the certificate.

I'm not out to cheat anyone. This is the only thing I can sell that would bring in enough money for me to get a Kindle. But the price I'm asking, $500, is a great deal for a 1/2 carat diamond, so the person who buys it benefits too. (And my husband benefits, because he's sick to death of hearing me talk about the Kindle ... which I have already named Charlotte, after Charlotte Bronte.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do you have an appraisal for this actual ring, or just for the diamond in a different setting?  If it's for this actual ring, what was the appraisal value?  (I may have just missed this)

TIA!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, LisaB!  (My name is Lisa, too!)

I DID get an appraisal for the ring in 2000, right after I got it made, so that I could get it insured.  At the time, it was appraised for $3000 -- although I read somewhere that insurance appraisal values are higher than resale values, which is why I'm not touting that appraisal value since it might be misleading.  But you have to pay $10 per $1000 value (per year) for insurance, and I had to pay $30 for the year to insure it.  After that I got married, moved to PA, and never got around to insuring it again.

I looked for the paperwork on that appraisal when I first decided to sell the ring, but I haven't been able to find it.  Somewhere in the two moves between then and now, it's either gone or lost.

The IGI certificate is for the diamond in a solitaire setting, so the ring it's based on is just a gold band/mounting and the diamond.  The new ring is also 14K gold and also has the two sapphires, so the new ring has added value in the additional stones.

My college BF and I bought the diamond solitaire in 1996 for $1000.  From what I've read diamonds don't depreciate over time, so I don't know what the diamond is worth today but I would expect that a similar ring today would cost the same if not more.  When I had the diamond made into the new ring in 2000, I paid $200 for the two sapphires.

I love this ring and it's really pretty!!  But it doesn't have sentimental value to me because the diamond came from my college BF and not my current husband.  My husband and I have talked in the past about selling it when money was tight, but we've always held off.  Now, I'd love to have a Kindle, and I'm okay with parting with the ring, so it's a good trade to me.

Like I said, I do not have a current appraisal for the ring.  But I feel confident that it's worth a LOT more than $500!

Hope this helps!  Feel free to ask any questions that you want, and I also have other pictures of the ring if you want me to email or post them, although the two I posted seem to be the most helpful.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Very pretty and seems like a good price given gold has gone through the roof...just for hahas, I went to Blue Nile and tried to "build" a similar ring with similar quality diamond based on what you provided.  I came up with over $1,000.  But I had to remind myself that I am trying to be thrifty and don't need more jewelry  :-\ 
No bites on the jewelry sites?

Hope you get your Kindle!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Boston, for the input from Blue Nile!

I still have the ring listed on the jewelry sites, but I'm at a disadvantage there because most of the rings listed are 1+ carats and thousands of dollars.  Anyone shopping for a $5000+ ring isn't going to look twice at this one!  And ebay is my last, LAST resort, because I wouldn't get more than $200 or so for the ring there.  I don't mind selling it for a bargain, but that's a little much.

As it is, we spent $1000 on the original solitaire and then $400 on the new ring ($200 to get the ring made and $200 for the sapphires), so this ring has $1400 invested in it.  Granted, that was several years ago, but all my research has indicated that diamonds don't really depreciate.  Regardless, I'm asking roughly 1/3 of the amount of money that I put into this ring, and it's probably worth over twice what I'm asking.

I can go as low as $450 for the ring, if that makes a difference for anyone who might be interested in it.  Just let me know!  (If someone DOES want it, I can accept payments via PayPal and will ship insured/tracking/signature confirmation/etc.  Also, I can ship the ring the same day if time permits, or the following business day at the very latest.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
:( Have you considered trying to find a nice Kindle 1 and used case?  It would be unfortunate for you to sell such a beautiful ring at such a low price if you could have a Kindle with a nice case AND your ring.  You could find a used Sapphire Blue Oberon and wear your ring while you're reading your Kindle!  ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL, Christina, thanks for your compassion and your suggestion!

But honestly, I'm fine with selling the ring and I'm content with the price.  The diamond is from a previous relationship, so there's no emotional attachment to it. 

If I get $450 for the ring, that's almost exactly covers the Kindle and accessories.  So in a sense, I'm trading the ring for something I want more.  And I'm okay with that!

And if someone else is delighted and blessed to get a great ring on the cheap, I'm happy about that too!  I like the idea that I can get enough money for what I need AND allow someone else to get a diamond ring for a bargain price.

I see this as a win-win situation for me AND the person who buys the ring.  And my husband too, because he'll finally get some peace and quiet!  ;)

So like I said, I'm fine with selling the ring and I'm content with getting $450 for it.  They say diamonds are a girl's best friend, but I like books better than jewelry anyway! 

·
Registered
17 Posts
DaisyMama said:
So like I said, I'm fine with selling the ring and I'm content with getting $450 for it. They say diamonds are a girl's best friend, but I like books better than jewelry anyway!
I completely agree! Good luck with your sale...it is a beautiful ring, I'm sure you will find someone that will love it as much as you did! :)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
DaisyMama said:
They say diamonds are a girl's best friend, but I like books better than jewelry anyway!
Amen.
But that ring's a stunner all right. Fingers crossed that you get what you need soon! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, everyone, for your interest and encouragement!

Just wanted to let y'all know that the ring is on its way to its new home, and my Kindle 2 is on its way to ITS new home!  ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Congrats, Daisy!! Sounds like a Win-Win for both sides!  I hope that Kindle is coming overnight shipping because the waiting is the hardest part!  ;D

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Congratulations Daisy.  Please let us know when you get your K2.  I'm sure you'll be much happier with the K than with the ring. 
deb

1 - 18 of 18 Posts