Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I was surfing around online looking up author interviews and found the NPR webpage and an interview with Alyson Foster who wrote God is an Astronaut plus the collection, Heart Attack Watch
The story descriptions really caught my eye so I went to amazon to see if it was in kindle and it was but the price is 16 bucks!!  A bit high for my budget (plus its just 179 pages in length)
So I found her on face book and messaged her to see if she had any idea if the publisher was considering dropping the price to attract sales. ( I noticed that the collection was published in 2016 and the book had no customer reviews)
I also noticed after returning to her webpage and twitter account that her social media footprint stops in 2016
This leads me to assume.......
The sales from both books weren't what was expected so she stopped ( which happens) or she unfortunately may have passed away.
I have no idea how to move forward from here
I found an agent number and email
The number said the office was closed due to the virus and I emailed the agent but since the webpage doesn't look updated I doubt I'll get a reply.
So I came here since this is a world wide readership
Despite the odds....( several hundred books a week get published and have to find a place to get noticed while sitting on the endless mountain of other available books) I thought someone else here might have read her books and might have a little information
Thanks for the time and have a great weekend  I'll check in and out to check replies
Frank

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'm sorry, but what exactly do you want to know? Or achieve? Other than asking her if she'll lower the price of her book?  :eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ImaWriter said:
I'm sorry, but what exactly do you want to know? Or achieve? Other than asking her if she'll lower the price of her book? :eek:
Yeah, basically I'm just curious if the price of her story collection will go down anytime soon
( probably not since it was published in 2016. It seems publishers use a higher price to try to recoup their investment then after a time, the price comes down a titch to encourage continued sales. Kind of the same way after a hardcover comes out a year later a ( cheaper version) paperback comes out and sales usually take off.)
I mean I COULD just save up over a month or so and get the book but still - for me- thats alot of money for just 179 pages.
And.........she seems to have good ideas and looks to have a decent writing career ( though yes I am aware the odds are arguably huge no matter how talented one might be) and I'm a little concerned she might have passed away.
That might seem a bit dweeby or obsessed but I'm just curious

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
It sounds like she may be trade published at that price and having an agent. Maybe see if you can get the book through your library. That'd be free. And not make her feel bad about something she has no control over if she isn't self-published.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Frank the author said:
Yeah, basically I'm just curious if the price of her story collection will go down anytime soon
just request it from your library Overdrive/Libby

i've just verified that Overdrive can serve both these books if your librarian requests them

a trad pub book published in 2016 isn't suddenly going to be promoted or reduced in price, Bloomsbury (the publisher) has moved on

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CassieL said:
It sounds like she may be trade published at that price and having an agent. Maybe see if you can get the book through your library. That'd be free. And not make her feel bad about something she has no control over if she isn't self-published.
Thanks I'll try this

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nightwork said:
just request it from your library Overdrive/Libby

i've just verified that Overdrive can serve both these books if your librarian requests them

a trad pub book published in 2016 isn't suddenly going to be promoted or reduced in price, Bloomsbury (the publisher) has moved on
As Cassie suggested I'll do this. Its just I've always believed in supporting fellow writers by buying their work ONE if it interests me and TWO if its within my budget
I do use the library but I normally prefer buying- in this case though due to my current budget I'll put the library to use too.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
In some ways getting a book through the library is even better for an author. The library pays for the book or the borrow, plus it can lead to more exposure for the author because if the library buys it then other readers may discover the book and read it, too, and they may go on to become readers who buy subsequent books by that author or they may recommend it to other readers who will buy it.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
You messaged an author to take time out of her day to ask if the book she toiled over would be offered for cheaper, thus meaning she will get less money? Wow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amanda M. Lee said:
You messaged an author to take time out of her day to ask if the book she toiled over would be offered for cheaper, thus meaning she will get less money? Wow.
I did do that yes.
I'm on social security and feeding a car and a home so I have to choose carefully what I buy. Which is why I use kindle since many books are a bit cheaper.
And yeah i could use the library but I really do feel strongly on supporting ( as best I can on my income) the entire infrastructure of book selling that brings us reading material.
And as for a writer toiling over a story and being asked if their book can be sold at a cheaper price because readers don't want to pay full price, I remember several years ago when readers were up in arms with amazon kindle when they dared to go past the 9.99 price for some kindle books.
How dare we demand amazon stick to a "sweet spot" price for readers despite the fact the writers are rightfully due more for all their hard work. (Should a book in digital format sell for less because it saves on paper and shipping and with just a click can be read immediately?)
Regardless of the argument readers presented.... we, of course, lost that fight.
If the book in question ( a story collection of seven stories) were a full length novel I might reconsider ( Many times I use the LOOK INSIDE feature to get a feel for the writing style which helps my decision)
But according to amazon the total page count is 179 pages. For me and my particular situation that's a little high.
7.99 would be more comfortable for me.
Sorry if I shocked or offended anyone

·
Registered
143 Posts
Frank the author said:
I did do that yes.
I'm on social security and feeding a car and a home so I have to choose carefully what I buy. Which is why I use kindle since many books are a bit cheaper.
And yeah i could use the library but I really do feel strongly on supporting ( as best I can on my income) the entire infrastructure of book selling that brings us reading material.
CassieL is correct, if you are on a limited income, PLEASE consider requesting books thru your public library if your budget is tight

your public library has a budget they are prepared to spend on books that readers request, and they often pay a higher price for the book = higher royalties to the author

as a homeowner your property taxes are almost certainly helping to fund your library so PLEASE never feel apologetic about using it, you ARE supporting authors when you use the public library

if you prefer to read on Kindle, you can still do that, public libraries offer many ebooks in a downloadable format that can be sent to your Kindle (or your other readers or devices as well)

you aren't hurting anyone by using these benefits, librarians & authors WANT you to

·
Registered
145 Posts
First, as people have pointed out, the library is part of the "infrastructure" of book publishing, so getting books through them is completely appropriate if you don't have money (or desire) to spend on buying books.

Second, with no offense intended, but your lack of ability or desire to pay the asking price of a book is not a good reason to bother the author with a request to lower the price. This isn't a yard sale. The price has been set by the publisher. Your choice is to either pay it or not. It's rude to email the author to ask to get the book cheaper (or for free, as some people do).

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
ShawnaReads said:
First, as people have pointed out, the library is part of the "infrastructure" of book publishing, so getting books through them is completely appropriate if you don't have money (or desire) to spend on buying books.

Second, with no offense intended, but your lack of ability or desire to pay the asking price of a book is not a good reason to bother the author with a request to lower the price. This isn't a yard sale. The price has been set by the publisher. Your choice is to either pay it or not. It's rude to email the author to ask to get the book cheaper (or for free, as some people do).
Yes, I am surprised OP is not getting slammed more. What would authors here say to readers who wanted their books cheaper bc the prices didn't fit their idea of what books should cost? That's an email I would delete on sight/a FB account I would block instantly.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Frank the author said:
(Should a book in digital format sell for less because it saves on paper and shipping and with just a click can be read immediately?)

If the book in question ( a story collection of seven stories) were a full length novel I might reconsider ( Many times I use the LOOK INSIDE feature to get a feel for the writing style which helps my decision)
But according to amazon the total page count is 179 pages. For me and my particular situation that's a little high.
7.99 would be more comfortable for me.
There is no "should". It's a value proposition. You don't feel the value you'd be receiving is commensurate with the money you're being asked to spend. Fine, then don't do it. How is this anyone else's problem?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts