Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am no kind of cover designer. I freely admit that :) But my Alexis Brooks Series really needs some cover help, so I've been doing the best I can with it. I've been kicking these around for a couple of days, but I just don't trust my opinion on these things. If you'd seen some of the covers I've spawned in the past, you'd know why :) Which of these covers do you prefer?

Current Cover

Proposed New Cover

Thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I can't see them either.. I couldn't see photos on another post that everyone else could see.. I wonder what's up with my computer!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I really like the new one, except to my eyes the red on the borders is sort of... glaring?... and could maybe be toned down just a tad (though then the text might not show up as well). I just don't like the shade. But otherwise it's awesome, and far better than the old one.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys! It's encouraging that all the response has been so positive. I hate changing covers, but you guys are giving me the courage to do it anyway :)

For those who can't see the images, I have them on my website here:

Old cover -- http://pgtc.com/~slmiller/images/Concerto%20Paperback%20Front%20Cover%20500x800.jpg
New cover -- http://pgtc.com/~slmiller/images/New%20Concerto%20Cover%20500x800.jpg

I see what you mean about the red, Meg. I will try toning that back some and see what I can come up with.

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
SandraMiller said:
I am no kind of cover designer. I freely admit that :) But my Alexis Brooks Series really needs some cover help, so I've been doing the best I can with it. I've been kicking these around for a couple of days, but I just don't trust my opinion on these things. If you'd seen some of the covers I've spawned in the past, you'd know why :) Which of these covers do you prefer?

Current Cover

Proposed New Cover

Thanks!
I think the second one is much better. I like the flowing musical score. The first one seems too blocky to me.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I love the second cover design but agree with Meg, that shade of red is hard on the eyes.

·
Registered
I'm working on my will to live.
653 Posts
The second one is very pro and much improved. The red might be a tiny bit hot, but that's pretty subjective. I think it helps with thumbnails.

Nice work.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I, too, love the second one! And the red doesn't bother me at all.

My only quibble - I had no idea the object on the right was a gun. It actually took me a little bit to figure that out and I'm still not sure if it's actually a gun.  :-[ Maybe if we could see a little more of it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Sorry to be the only one who doesn't like the second one at all. It's scattered and lacks focus. The graphic for the first one is much better, but the big blocks of red are offputting.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope nobody feel like they have to apologize for their opinion--whether you hate/love one or both--it's all good :)  I do thank you all for everything you've said...it gives me lots to think about.  If I go forward with the new one, I'll have to redesign the second book to match it, so it's all helpful!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I love the new proposed cover and I'm in agreement with most others about the red color. It's a little alarming, but perhaps that's the point?

If you're open to suggestions, I would make the background almost completely white and add a little color for a splash, like the rose and blood. I'm a fan of subtle color.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Sandra, I think the second one is much better than the first, but maybe still has a ways to go. Try this…

Move the image down a little bit, to leave more room at the top. Then make your title font MUCH LARGER so it bleeds well into the image (you don't need to protect the image as much as you are - the title is way more important. Take a full 3rd of the room with it if you want.

You might also want to alter the font with some texture. Whatever design software you are using, I'm sure there is a tutorial online for adding texture to font. I'm not good with computers at all, but I'v been teaching myself how to use pixelmator for my iMac and results have been really good. It gets easier the more you play around with it. Look here to see what I've learned… http://www.stephentharper.blogspot.com/2013/02/help-choose-book-cover.html

Also, maybe darken that red up. Someone above said it was glaring. I think that's right.

Finally, take a look at your genre in amazon. Most of the covers are pretty similar to one another. Try to take your elements and match their style more.

Hope that helps, :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
This is only my OPINION, but white space on a cover has always and will always make me think non fiction.

I don't mean white in general, I mean white that isn't edged or confined so that a cover blends into pages with white backgrounds, like Amazon. To me, that sort of construction fragments the work and screams "advertisement" rather than "book cover".

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, thanks, Stephen!  I really appreciate your advice--it seems very well thought-out.  It certainly hadn't occurred to me that I was preserving image at the expense of the title until you said it.  I'm going to play with the things you've suggested and see what I can get out of it.

P.S.--I love your avatar :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts