Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a GREAT day at Comicon and spent a lot of that time talking with authors of SciFi and fantasy novels. They were all published by various houses and had a slew of paperbacks for sale at their booths. They also had a lot of promotional material at their booths advertising their books.

Whenever I asked if they offered their books in wireless format, they all kind of 'Meh'd the idea. I guess they make most of their money traveling to these shows selling hard copies of their book. I didn't think it was very economical and they could certainly make a LOT more money offering their books in digital format.

Why do you guys think there are some published authors that are so resistant to eBook offerings? Is it usually up to their publisher?

One interesting thing I heard was when I asked one lady, who had several books published and for sale, what was the number one thing to do to get published she simply said, "Write a good book."

·
Registered
768 Posts
Al Schneider said:
Why do you guys think there are some published authors that are so resistant to eBook offerings? Is it usually up to their publisher?
To answer your second question: yes. Most publishers purchase digital rights. You'd be hard-pressed to find any larger publisher these days who will let the author maintain electronic rights. As to why the publisher might not want to have the ebook version out there when they can make upwards of 70%+ (and pay the author a puny 10-20% cut) doesn't make any business sense.

As for why authors might be resistant? They don't yet realize -- or do realize but can't do anything contractually about it -- they could be making 70% on each ebook sale. These authors will be grateful when their rights are reverted. The numbers are growing :)

The other possibility is that, as you stated, they are making very good money off buying their books wholesale and then selling at trade shows and see this as the best way to make *now* money as a writer versus waiting the months and months for publishers to send royalty checks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
[Post content removed to protect my content and data because I do not agree to or accept VerticalScope's new Terms of Service. I hereby reject said terms and retain all copyrights to my information and content.

I disavow any association with the new ads that now exist that may be tasteless, racist, demeaning to women, sexist, or exploitative in any way.]

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
I confess. When I first heard about Amazon's 70% I said, "BS." It was so far out of line with established royalties I didn't believe it. Ain't it great to be wrong?

·
Registered
338 Posts
To any publisher. Ignore the e-book market at your own peril.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts