Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I will be getting a kindle for my upcoming trip to Europe.

If whispernet worked world-wide it would be a no-brainer, but as it is I think I may have some use for a kindle.

I believe I could still purchase travel guides and read through them as books, but I was wondering if I could save offline webpages and look at them in an area with no whispernet?

Say I wanted to save a bunch of offline webpages from wikitravel, could I reference them later when I'm in Europe?

I can also imagine being able to transfer webpages into pdf files, and then further transfer those pdf files into kindle files, haven't really looked into this possibility much.

I figure one kindle will take up less room than a multitude of travel guides and books.

Thanks,

Warren

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
The travel guides and the books are more than sufficient reasons for me to have my Kindle with me for our trip to Europe this summer.  (We're going to Finland with a side trip to St Petersburg.)  Not having to carry the 6 or 7 books I would need to get through the 3 week trip is benefit enough.

I don't see why you couldn't save web pages and send them to the Kindle...

Betsy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm yes but I'm wondering if you can save a web page that is being displayed through the kindle browser for offline use later.

·
Registered
221 Posts
trueweltall33 said:
I believe I could still purchase travel guides and read through them as books,
Double check to see if the travel guides you are interested in are available in Kindle format. I'm planning a trip to Copenhagen & Berlin in May, and found the amount (and quality) of Kindle travel guides for these locations very underwhelming - I was very disappointed. However if you're going to Paris, Rome or London there appears to be satisfactory selection of Kindle travel guides.

As far as accessing web content without whispernet, transferring webpages into pdf files, and then emailing them to your Kindle is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahahaha I went ahead and took the plunge.

Wish me the best!

I just spent:
650$ on a ticket to Paris
450$ for a 15 day Eurail pass
25$ on a bottle of crystal pepsi from ebay (don't judge me)

and I put the kindle on an Amazon Visa card!

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Big Plunge! At least you have your priorities right, You did list in ascending order, didn't you? ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts