Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, what with Google having obfuscated the hell out of their search engine algorithms, actually finding any useful advice on these topics seems folly.

Firstly I understand that if a customer purchases a book from outside of their regional website, ie someone in the UK buying from the US it will do it at the lowest price... which I assume is the reason for this issue. Essentially if I look at amazon.com for my book it just says ‘Pricing information not available.’ I don’t think this is an issue but I am vaguely concerned as I have not seen any other titles that do this...

Whilst on that subject. When I look at the US site (I’m in the UK) I see ‘Kindle titles are available for UK customers on Amazon.co.uk.’ followed by a link on the right hand side where the buy button would be... which makes sense, except the link just goes to the kindle page rather than my book on the UK site... which seems flawed at best. I don’t suppose there is any way of linking the sites together to fix this... which I have control over?

Finally any idea as to what day is likely to be the best day to try a free promotion on? Ie weekday or weekend. That is all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Trevor, I'm not sure about your pricing problem, but it will probably resolve itself.  I had the same thing happen on the UK site at the beginning of the free promo and it resolved itself in about 45 mins.

I chose to have a promo at the end of the week as I thought people would be in a better mood...not terribly scientific...

Good luck with it all!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it took a full week... but it seems to be fixed now. Now that it displays the price on the US site it also seems to have fixed the link issue I had on the right of the page. I was just concerned that the extra 5 seconds it would take to search it manually on the UK site would be enough to put people off...

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
Trevor Mcinsley said:
Unfortunately, what with Google having obfuscated the hell out of their search engine algorithms, actually finding any useful advice on these topics seems folly.

Firstly I understand that if a customer purchases a book from outside of their regional website, ie someone in the UK buying from the US it will do it at the lowest price... which I assume is the reason for this issue. Essentially if I look at amazon.com for my book it just says 'Pricing information not available.' I don't think this is an issue but I am vaguely concerned as I have not seen any other titles that do this...
You can usually only see pricing information for whatever Amazon you're registered with, e.g. I can't see the com price and UK price either, because I'm in Germany.

Whilst on that subject. When I look at the US site (I'm in the UK) I see 'Kindle titles are available for UK customers on Amazon.co.uk.' followed by a link on the right hand side where the buy button would be... which makes sense, except the link just goes to the kindle page rather than my book on the UK site... which seems flawed at best. I don't suppose there is any way of linking the sites together to fix this... which I have control over?
That is indeed flawed and has annoyed me more than once when clicking a link to an interesting book at Amazon.com (where I can't buy), but there is no direct link to Amazon DE where I could buy it. Manually replacing com with co.uk or de or whatever usually gets you to the right page, because the ASIN is always the same. I have no idea why Amazon doesn't automatize this process, but it's probably low on their list of priorities.

On my website and bookpages, I usually offer buy links for all Amazons and other vendors, so a potential reader can click on whatever site he or she prefers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CoraBuhlert said:
You can usually only see pricing information for whatever Amazon you're registered with, e.g. I can't see the com price and UK price either, because I'm in Germany.

That is indeed flawed and has annoyed me more than once when clicking a link to an interesting book at Amazon.com (where I can't buy), but there is no direct link to Amazon DE where I could buy it. Manually replacing com with co.uk or de or whatever usually gets you to the right page, because the ASIN is always the same. I have no idea why Amazon doesn't automatize this process, but it's probably low on their list of priorities.

On my website and bookpages, I usually offer buy links for all Amazons and other vendors, so a potential reader can click on whatever site he or she prefers.
Actually I think you can only see the price from sites you can buy from as it says somewhere in the help pages that the price it shows on another country's Amazon will be based on the price from your own country, so the price I see on the US site is different to the price US users see. I'm in the UK and I can see the price on all the European ones I have bothered to check as well as the US and Canadian site... assumedly because there is nothing stopping me ordering from them anyway. Perhaps this is different for users in mainland Europe?

Seems like it should be such a basic change for them to make...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.