Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
LOL!!!  I'm suddenly feeling very, very, good.  Is that wrong of me?  Probably.

I've a friend who can't get their nose out of that series.  They loaned me one and I made it through two chapters and realized it wasn't for me. 

·
Registered
24 Posts
Heh, that's pretty funny.  I got the first one of those and read it, and noticed that at the time there were already 3 or 4 more with no end in site and decided I had better things to do.  If you can't tell a story in 4 fat books, it's got some problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
wow... just *wow*. More than 50% of the reviews (1565 total!!) are 1-star - that's nuts!

so glad I got off the bandwagon after dragging myself through the first 4 books

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I loved the first three or four books of the Wheel of Time series, but after a while it got too painfully repetitive.  Another example of this phenomenon is the "Earth's Children" series by Jean Auel.  I loved the early books, but IMHO the last two books should have been edited down by at least fifty percent-- they were just the same stuff over and over again.

If you write a series, I think you need to try really hard to bring something new to the table with every book.  I imagine it gets really difficult after a while!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The 10th book was universally acknowledged as the low point of the series - I'd given up a few books earlier than it.

But given he was having stacks of money thrown at him and an audience who would buy it no matter how bad, why wouldn't he continue dragging it out?  Why stop at 4 books (which was the initial plan from memory) when you could drag it out over a dozen or more?

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'll never understand some people.

The Wheel of Time is a great fantasy series, despite what some say.

Maybe I'm bias though. It's my favorite fantasy series, and I also loved the Sword of Truth series, which is also looked down upon by a large number of people.

Every time I reveal my opinions on this subject, someone suggests that I should try to read A Song of Fire and Ice to see what good fantasy is.

I can definitely say that I prefer reading The Wheel of Time and The Sword of Truth over that.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I lost interest in the Sword of Truth after a bit. However, I'll agree that I liked it a lot more than Fire and Ice. I didn't like Wheel of Time, as it wasn't for me.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Krista D. Ball said:
I lost interest in the Sword of Truth after a bit. However, I'll agree that I liked it a lot more than Fire and Ice. I didn't like Wheel of Time, as it wasn't for me.
Both series bogged down in the middle, unfortunately. I kept going with it though. I'm very stubborn. The Chainfire Trilogy was a good end... though Mr. Goodkind decided to write another book for some reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts