Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yup, bloody stupid.  In fact it makes me angry.  Why should I care?  Because if enough people keep pulling that crap, people are gonna think all Indies do it. 

Someone, somewhere along the line, once said:

To pull off faking reviews on Amazon, you need to be a fabulous writer. Fabulous writers actually don't need any fake reviews.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
It's easy for me to tell when an indie has fake/friend reviews. If someone has thirty reviews, and some of the raving reviews only give 4 stars, and there are others of the, "I like this and this, but not this," variety, then it's probably sound. If there are five reviews, four of which are vague, glowing 5 star reviews, and the fifth is of the, "Poorly written, typo-riddled rubbish that reads like a cross between Twilight and a sixth grade girl's diary," then I'm going to be suspicious. For a good book, the four star reviews (in spite of my signature below), are the most useful. A lot of people only give five star reviews to their all-time favorites, and these are frequently more sophisticated readers.

The caveat here is that I'm also a writer who pays close attention to reviews. A casual reader might be more easily tricked.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
G

·
Terrence OBrien said:
Here's a new book byStephen King. Note the four reviews by other authors. Is that considered a swap?

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Dark-No-Stars-ebook/dp/B003YUC3YE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1297183281&sr=1-1
Terrence, there are over 400 reviews there. Can you be just a LITTLE specific as to what you are referring to? It might also help if you show where King then left a review of the reviewer's book...

I know...I know...you're going to start bringing up the book blurbs on book covers. But please, book blurbs on covers are not the same thing as reader reviews and it is a Strawman arguement to pretend that they are.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
"Can you be just a LITTLE specific as to what you are referring to?"

1. Go to the referenced page.
2. Scroll down a bit.
3. Note the pics of Justin Cronin, Suzanne Collins, Margaret Atwood, and TC Boyle.
4. See short blurb about King's book below each picture.
5. Click on READ MORE below blurb to see full review.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Terrence OBrien said:
"Can you be just a LITTLE specific as to what you are referring to?"

1. Go to the referenced page.
2. Scroll down a bit.
3. Note the pics of Justin Cronin, Suzanne Collins, Margaret Atwood, and TC Boyle.
4. See short blurb about King's book below each picture.
5. Click on READ MORE below blurb to see full review.
I'm honestly not bothered by that - Atwood, say, doesn't need the money or the publicity back. She just wants to say she likes a book. And if it's good enough for the author of Cat's Eye it's good enough for me.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
"I'm honestly not bothered by that - Atwood, say, doesn't need the money or the publicity back. She just wants to say she likes a book. And if it's good enough for the author of Cat's Eye it's good enough for me."

I'm not bothered by it either. It's just interesting to try to define the standards, and see if their application is a function of sales.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I love how they pointed out in the article how one of the reviewers used the author's first name in the review.  A friend of my wife's was nice enough to provide me with my first written review.  Unfortunately, the book is a bit outside of her usual genre, so she was fairly brief and called me "David".

I shudder.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
The mini-Staneks with a mere 12-15 sockpuppet reviewers might be fooling some readers (for now), but they're not fooling the rest of us.

It makes me furious that someone would betray readers' trust by creating alternate IDs to give undeserved 5 star reviews to their work. Not to mention that the fallout from that betrayal directly affects my business.

I can only hope that their comeuppance is positively Dickensian.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Monique said:
The mini-Staneks with a mere 12-15 sockpuppet reviewers might be fooling some readers (for now), but they're not fooling the rest of us.

It makes me furious that someone would betray readers' trust by creating alternate IDs to give undeserved 5 star reviews to their work. Not to mention that the fallout from that betrayal directly affects my business.

I can only hope that their comeuppance is positively Dickensian.
QFT. The problem is that those who are doing it don't give a rat's behind how their actions affect others -- not even their own readers. They want what they want. Those readers might potentially be my readers some day, but the Staneks of the writing world might lose the reader by turning them off from indie authors altogether. I read just this morning a comment from someone in the Amazon forum about how one lousy book by an indie turned her off for good from self-published writers.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
I think that people have too much time on their hands when they need to reconcile changes in terms of conspiracy. It only proves that, unlike the Chimpanzees, humans have the same recurring and useless thoughts over and over again. We'd be better off thinking only about bananas and improve our fecal aim from cages at the zoo.  ;D

Edward C. Patterson
Okay, another review thread - time for another pricing thread - then one on bananas and fecal aim.

7,412 Posts
Yet those books he's referencing are having 'meh' sales (I think Stanek's rated in the 100,000s). Clearly readers don't find new books based on organizing by just star rating. They use recommendations, word of mouth, customer also bought lists, etc. Is it a problem? Yes, but I think only on the small scale. None of these books will really take off, and if they do, they'll soon crumble under a sudden deluge of 1 and 2 stars.

·
Registered
982 Posts
kcmay said:
I read just this morning a comment from someone in the Amazon forum about how one lousy book by an indie turned her off for good from self-published writers.
Meh. Someone like this is either just looking for an excuse, or is trying to stir up melodrama. Just like all the people who SWEAR they'll never shop at Amazon again because this one time... Yeah, right, until the next time they want what they want.

I've read a LOT of lousy books, and go figure, I still read.

Not your target audience. :)

·
Registered
982 Posts
I think most readers are much more concerned about padding via quid pro quo, than about the occasional faked review. I see a lot of people on these boards who claim to be able to spot a faked review. I would suggest that it's not that easy, unless the faker makes really obvious mistakes. Maybe readers are just more suspicious of reviews left on self-published books?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts