Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For quite some time now I've noticed I was having problems reading my Kindle, using my PC, driving, etc.  Often I'd take my glasses off and clean them.

I went for my annual eye exam this week and for the first time in many years they couldn't correct me to 20-20.  Then came the news, cataracts in both eyes.  I visit the surgeon on the 19th to schedule the surgeries. 

I'm told that there is absolutely nothing to worry about and that I may not have to use glasses after the surgery.  Has anyone had recent cataract surgery?

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
i'm very sorry you're having problems.  The best of luck to you.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My grandfather had cataract surgery several years ago, and he did very well.  He was able to give up the glasses he'd worn for years; I think he just wears them for reading now.  Sorry you have to have the surgery at all, but it is very advanced now.  I'm sure it will help you.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My story is similar to your description of symptoms.  However, my diagnosis corneal disease.  Two corneal transplants, and two cataract surgeries later I see 20/25 with glasses.  (My last surgery was 1 year ago.)  Removing cataracts is a very easy and short surgery.  Recovery is a piece of cake -- compared to the transplants.  You will be very happy that you had them removed.

Cataract removal did not negatively impact my eyesight -- still 20/25 with glasses.  Don't worry, everything will go smoothly and you vision will not be cloudy any longer.  From what you have described, I think you will experience a very positive result.

When do you have your surgery?  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Good luck, Tec. My mother had cataract surgery about a year ago (after agonizing about the decision for ages). She only needs glasses for certain tasks and most importantly, she can drive at night again. She doesn't go out much at night, but here in Maine, in the winter it gets dark at 4:30 pm and that was a big handicap in terms of doing even every day errands.

L

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My husband had it done this past summer, and he had no problem.  I don't remember how long the operation was but we were home within  3 hours. He doesn't need his glasses for a lot of things.  He ware a patch for a 1 day or 2  and the only thing that bothered him was bight light but they gave him  very dark glasses.

My husband is 68 and said to tell you get it done.

Tessa

·
Registered
780 Posts
My Dad has had both eyes done about one year apart with no problems at all. He only needs glasses to read now. Even his astigmatism was corrected.

Lynn L

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
tecwritr said:
For quite some time now I've noticed I was having problems reading my Kindle, using my PC, driving, etc. Often I'd take my glasses off and clean them.

I went for my annual eye exam this week and for the first time in many years they couldn't correct me to 20-20. Then came the news, cataracts in both eyes. I visit the surgeon on the 19th to schedule the surgeries.

I'm told that there is absolutely nothing to worry about and that I may not have to use glasses after the surgery. Has anyone had recent cataract surgery?
Hi Tec. living in a "retirement area" a lot of people here have had cataract surgery and have had no problems whatsoever. In fact one told me it was easier than the dentist pulling a tooth or doing a root canal. I am putting off a visit myself because I know I have cataracts, they just are not "ripe" yet, but I do think one is ripe. I'm not putting it off because I'm worried, I just don't have the time - I'm retired doncha know LOL

Be sure and keep us posted as to when you are going to have your surgery and how you are doing. :)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Tec, it should be fairly easy.
My mother had it done, I will need to eventually.

She was in and out in less than 2 hours or so, she had one eye done at a time.
I think that might be normal, otherwise you would have no vision at all for a day or two, while wearing the eye patch.
I am pretty sure she only wore the patch for one day each time.

Best wishes to you!
Eric

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I had cataract surgery on my right eye about 20 years ago, and it was trouble-free.  The correction wasn't 100%, but my original vision was about 20/500 in that eye, and became about 20/30, so HUGE improvement.  I'm sure it's even better and easier these days.  My surgery took 18 minutes, I remember.  It took longer to get ready, get the IV in, etc. than for the actual surgery.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Where is Jim the Eye Dr when we need him?

Betsy
I know, Jim pops up in some of the most random threads to find him in...i.e. Robin's thread on Eric from Dead Until Dark! I didn't expect to see him there!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Good luck with the surgery.  I hope your recovery is speedy. 

Everyone I know that has had it ends up far better off.  My Grandfather threw away his glasses after his surgery.   

You may need to change your name to....the new and improved tecwritr.   ;D

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Where is Jim the Eye Dr when we need him?

Betsy
No kidding, Jim is a doctor? Oh, the comedic possibilities.... I can barely restrain myself.

In any case, my Dad had cataract surgery last summer. His surgery went pretty well (I get my very bad patient-ness from him, apparently). However, many people had told him that his vision would immediately improve, and he says it didn't. He also had this hideous eye-drop schedule that nearly drove my mother into AA before the 30-day regimen was over. Really, it was like 2 drops of this every three hours, and one drop of that every 2 hours and two drops of...you get the picture. I got to sit with him one weekend so everyone else could go to a football game (and it's hard to tell who made the bigger sacrifice, but that's another story for a different board), and eventually I just got out the bourbon bottle and two straws. We were fine after that.
Now, I think he only wears glasses to read or work on the computer, but he's good to drive, even at night (which was his initial complaint. He was going to replace his windshield, then he drove my car and threatened to replace mine. I was all for that, if he was picking up the tab. Sadly, no.). His vision did improve, but I get the impression it was a number of days or maybe even weeks. He is also quite bitter that he can't see through walls.
Good luck with your surgery! Go ahead and do something very nice for whoever will be helping you out in the month after your surgery. Trust me.

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
... He also had this hideous eye-drop schedule that nearly drove my mother into AA before the 30-day regimen was over. Really, it was like 2 drops of this every three hours, and one drop of that every 2 hours and two drops of...you get the picture. ...
I remember a similar eye-drop schedule when DH had his cataract surgery, but I thought the intense part of the schedule was only a week or two with some drops continuing much longer. Different drops for different purposes - prevent infection, reduce pain, etc. (It was about 8 years ago) I do remember that we were told that the various drops and using them correctly was very important. Since DH has usable vision in only one eye, it was critical that we did all that was possible for a good result. (He was not required to wear an eye patch as otherwise he would not have been able to see at all. He did keep his eye closed as much as possible.) The end result was wonderful. He now has 20/30 vision in that eye without glasses but he still wears glasses. :)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hoping the best for you with your upcoming eye surgery, tec. You're going to feel like a new person when all is said and done.

·
Registered
137 Posts
tecwritr said:
I'm told that there is absolutely nothing to worry about and that I may not have to use glasses after the surgery. Has anyone had recent cataract surgery?
My husband had cataract surgeries (both eyes) this summer. It took him over a year to schedule them, LOL, and didn't do it until his brother told him the only thing he had regretted was waiting so long to do it :) Rich had to use several types of prescription eye drops, both before and after the surgery, but that was it. As soon as the first set of bandages were removed, at the hospital, he could immediately see much better than before and was amazed at how much more color he could see right away. In his surgery, the doctor made the focus for one eye for reading and the other for distance/driving. He does wear a very slight perscription when he has to drive at night, but says that his eyesight hasn't been this good since he was a kid. He called to schedule the surgery for the 2nd eye the day after the first one was done. He tennis game, BTW, is much better too!

Good luck on your surgery - and happy Kindling with your new clear vision!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well, I had cataracts in both eyes removed about three years ago. Lenses were inserted to correct my life-long myopia.

I was totally amazed at how much better my vision was. Actually, it was {and still is} the best vision I have had in my whole life. I still wear glasses, however, because of age-related" astigmatism. :mad: I am in my seventies.

The only bad thing about the surgeries {two weeks apart} was not being able to eat before I went in. However, I got a lovely bagel as soon as I woke up! It was a bit annoying to have to put drops in my eyes at three hour intervals for the required time but that was all.

About 25% of people grow new cells over the inserted lenses. Unfortunately, I seem to be one of them but the cure is simple. A lasar painlessly zapps them away and the only side-effect is little "floaties" in the eyes for a few days.

Patricia

1 - 20 of 41 Posts