Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a good five day free run that is resulting in way more sales at full price than I had anticipated. In the two days since I came off free, I've had sales/borrows of about 700 books. Ever since I've come off free, I've been at $4.99.

Here's my question: Is it best to just let the run continue at full price, or is it possible that while I've got peak positioning on the Pop Lists I should do a temporary .99 promo?

It's obvious to me that I will lose money at the .99 level, but I am wondering if it could result in enough sales to really boost me up?

Right now, I'm in that magical third day after the free run, and I am sitting at #560 overall.

So, let me ask... if you were in this situation, what would you do?

Ancillary question: If I were to drop it to .99 do you know of any sites that would accept a *very* last minute .99 ad that I could run in the next few days?

As always... thank you to the collective wisdom of KBWC!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KM Logan said:
If you're closer to 5 stars than four leave your price as is, otherwise I might do the $.99 promo.
It's at 4.8 stars right now. Why would that be the determining factor for you?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
You need 10 sales at .99 to make one sale at $4.99.  I don't believe 10 times as many people would pony up $1 than $4.99 for a book they want.  Since it's selling, and apparently, selling really well, at $4.99, why would you mess with that?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Also consider the number of refunds that might result from you reducing the price of the book so soon. Wait until the wave dies down before having another special. Save each trick in your bag for when it will be the most useful.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I know two people who dropped to 99 cents during a similar post-free run and both regretted it. Sales only increased slightly and only for one or two days before falling sharply again, and they got so much less money.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
AndreSanThomas said:
You need 10 sales at .99 to make one sale at $4.99. I don't believe 10 times as many people would pony up $1 than $4.99 for a book they want. Since it's selling, and apparently, selling really well, at $4.99, why would you mess with that?
This would be my general reaction, too.

On the other hand, I just checked his pop list position, and it looks like he's on page 3 of Memoirs and page 17 of Contemporary Romance (holy jeez Romance).

The lists appear to be recrunching at the moment, so I expect you'll climb higher as the last of your freebies are factored in. But you'd still have room to rise, especially in Contemporary. So the question is whether to stick where you are or roll the dice and see if you can grab enough extra sales at $0.99 to really climb the charts.

I'd stick at $4.99, personally--that's a lot of sales rolling in--but it wouldn't be totally crazy to see what happens at $0.99.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I happen to think it WOULD be crazy to see what happens at .99.  Why do that when you are selling well? But then again, the only time I've been .99 is for one week in 2012 and now one week this week for promos. After that, it's back to $4.99.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the good advice from all. And, Edward, thanks for going to the trouble to find my book on the Pop Lists!

My instinct has always been to run at full price. I've been at $4.99 since the day I published, except for one brief ENT promo the week before Christmas.

After reading your opinions, I've decided to leave it where it is. One days worth of sales at this rate will pay for editing/cover on the next book and I can't take that lightly.

I just wanted to look at all options and hear your opinions because I respect the incredible wealth of self-publishing knowledge we have on this board.

·
Registered
440 Posts
While I've been reading this thread I had a mini-revelation. I think I'm done with .99 unless it's just a group or temporary promo or something.

As another poster stated, you have to sell 10 copies at .99 to make up for one sale at 4.99.

A thin woman's magazine at the grocery store costs a few bucks and not .99.

Unless the story is very short, I am getting to the point where I am thinking that if I am tempted to sell something for that price I need to make it better or longer.

That said, I can understand the strategy for the first book in a series (loss leader) or something. I've just never managed to keep the same train of thought across multiple books yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, this is a quandary. I started out in November with French Illusions priced at .99. I raised the price to $3.99 on January 23. There is no question sales have decreased, but I'm leaving it where it is. I'm well aware that's I'll have to work my promotions hard to get those sales back up again :)

-Linda Kovic-Skow

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
There is also a theory out there that pricing is a factor in grouping also-bought books.
Change the price and you risk relationships with the other books. Stay the course.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Shawn, congrats on an awesome promo! That is a seriously great result.

I, too, suggest leaving the price at 4.99. You've proven that your book sells at that price point and you'll be getting great visibility rising on the pop list for next few days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts