Kindle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off...I see a lot of people talking about hard resets. But I don't hear anyone doing it properly...trust me, the correct way to do a pin-hole reset, also known as a hard reset is listed below. The way listed below is not the way that is listed in the Kindle Users Guide but, what is listed below is the correct way - I can assure you of that.

• Plug the Kindle into the charger, and the charger into the wall
  • Verify that the yellow/amber charging light is ON
  • Verify that the power switch is in the ON position (the switch on the left)
  • Verify that the Whispernet (EVDO Wireless) switch is in the OFF position (the switch on the right, closest to the speaker)
  • Place the Kindle on a firm surface
  • Take off the back cover, the gray one with the letters and what not on it - to do this, apply some pressure and slide it to the right
  • Put a paperclip or other small metal object (don't use wood like toothpics, or pencil's, etc because it can break off in the hole) into the reset hole
  • Push down the reset button - and hold it down for about 5 seconds - you should be able to kind of feel it being depressed
  • Flip the Kindle over so you are looking at your screen, and wait for your Kindle to restart - It can take 10 seconds or so before you notice anything happen
  • If these steps fail you - contact Amazon.com Kindle Support at 1-866-321-8851

Also, please do NOT take out the battery - and if you do, you'd better not tell Amazon Kindle Support because taking the battery out is NEVER recommended under any circumstances, Amazon customer service will never ask you to do that.

If you load your own screen savers or do any other tricks like that to the Kindle, expect to be upset when you contact Amazon Kindle Support. Hacking it in any form can and may void your warranty. Can't say you haven't been warned...

These are some things I just wanted to share with you all at the moment. Any questions? Ask me, I'd love to answer some...

·
Registered
368 Posts
OK, what you have posted makes sense to me.  I just got my Kindle Christmas and am not sure just how much I want to do except download books and read them just because the more I do the more it seems like I get in trouble with gadgets :).  But I am curious how you come by this information.  Do you work for Amazon?  Or are you just tech savvy?  What ever..thanks for the info.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mollyb,

I would be more then happy to answer any questions you have for me about your Kindle, how it works,  how to, etc. Anything I can do to help out a fellow Kindler!

And as far as how I know...I just know. :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
AcBush, I'm not disputing your advice, but please tell us how it is that you're so much better informed than the rest of us mere mortals.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Considering that the battery is designed to be user replaceable I don't think KS will be upset about taking it out.  Also I don't think adding screensavers counts as "hacking" the kindle.  Altering system files constitutes hacking.  Getting the Kindle to do things other than what it's designed for constitutes hacking.  Not adding files that don't affect the operation of the device.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I, also, don't believe that adding a screensaver is considered hacking. Its like adding a wallpaper/backgroundpic to the desktop or a screensaver to your computer.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Taking the battery out while its turned isnt good for any electronic. Its kinda like hard rebooting your computer while its still on. Not good for it, and not to be done often.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
WOW!  Welcome to the boards.  It is great to have someone that knows more about the Kindle than the folks that made it and the folks that sell it.  We shall be forever in your debt.  Thank you!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Im sure that the people at Amazon that designed and made it know its not good to take the battery out while its turned on. Its the same with all electronics. TVs, stereos, vcrs, and most other electronics.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
In my experience, I try a soft reset (alt-shift-R) before a hard reset (paperclip in the hole approach). For the few times I've needed to do a reset, alt-shift-R has worked just fine.

L

·
Registered
509 Posts
"Also, please do NOT take out the battery - and if you do, you'd better not tell Amazon Kindle Support because taking the battery out is NEVER recommended under any circumstances, Amazon customer service will never ask you to do that."

It's the  "...NEVER..." and "...any circumstances..." provisions that give me pause. I've seen users report that Kindle customer service people have given instructions to disconnect the battery if the device was otherwise non-responsive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Teninx said:
"Also, please do NOT take out the battery - and if you do, you'd better not tell Amazon Kindle Support because taking the battery out is NEVER recommended under any circumstances, Amazon customer service will never ask you to do that."
And yet Amazon sells a replacement battery. Wouldn't that indicate that they expect you to take out the old one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the post but thought I would let everyone know what happened when I added too many pictures as screensavers and filled the memory which kept me from downloading any books.I deleted all the pictures but memory was still full. I e-mailed KS and got a short reply saying that was not  supported. They didn't say that it did or didn't void my warranty. They offered no advice to my memory issue.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
AcBush--

AcBush said:
The way listed below is not the way that is listed in the Kindle Users Guide but, what is listed below is the correct way - I can assure you of that.
Your somewhat cryptic post has already generated a bit of discussion! ;D And you've invited questions. I guess my main question is for more background info for your assertion that your hard reset instructions are the correct way vice the Kindle Users Guide and for the statement to never remove the battery.

I'd also like more background on why using commands that Amazon built into the Kindle to install custom screensavers is hacking it.

Thanks!

Betsy

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
skivob said:
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the post but thought I would let everyone know what happened when I added too many pictures as screensavers and filled the memory which kept me from downloading any books.I deleted all the pictures but memory was still full. I e-mailed KS and got a short reply saying that was not supported. They didn't say that it did or didn't void my warranty. They offered no advice to my memory issue.
Skivob,

did you ever figure out the full memory issue? When you create custom screensavers, in addition to the picture file you've added, the Kindle creates a secret screensaver folder in the system file which has to be removed.

Betsy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry. I should have gave more info. The first thing I did was to add a memory card and move all my books to it. It cleared enough space to load books again.I then started checking sites until I found a hacker that told me I had to empty the trash. I hooked it to the computer like you do for a download, emptied the trash. End of problem. Simple when you think about it but it had me freaked out for a few days.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The instructions that the OP give for a hard reset are EXACTLY what a customer service rep had me do when I first got my kindle. He said it sounds counter intuitive to plug it in during the reset, but that it is the proper way to do it. I usually don't plug mine in when I do a reset though and it works fine. When a hard reset doesn't work I plug it in and try again and it always works. No clue about the battery info though.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
skivob said:
Sorry. I should have gave more info. The first thing I did was to add a memory card and move all my books to it. It cleared enough space to load books again.I then started checking sites until I found a hacker that told me I had to empty the trash. I hooked it to the computer like you do for a download, emptied the trash. End of problem. Simple when you think about it but it had me freaked out for a few days.
Great, thanks, we were worried you were out there with a non-working Kindle!

Betsy

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.