Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your options when someone posts a review with major plot spoilers that gut the book? Will Amazon take any action? What are my rights in this situation?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Amazon won't do anything. You have no rights to have it removed or changed. I know because some years ago I had exactly that problem.

Best course of action is to wait for more reviews so it drowns it out as it falls down the list.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Quit reading your reviews. It will be better for your mental health.
So true. 😂 If only I could do that.

{edit: Alondo, you're probably best leaving it be. I don't think Amazon will change it. Goodreads can note a review has spoilers, but I'm not aware of that being available on Zon. You could add a comment, but if you're worried about the review being front and center, comments move the review up higher in your review pool.

·
Registered
161 Posts
What are your options when someone posts a review with major plot spoilers that gut the book? Will Amazon take any action? What are my rights in this situation?

Thanks
you can file a report with Amazon but they usually won't remove for this reason

a faster option is to ask your newsletter to vote up a different review as "most helpful" and/or to leave their own reviews

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don't think Amazon will change it. Goodreads can note a review has spoilers, but I'm not aware of that being available on Zon.
Which is particularly infuriating given that Amazon owns and runs Goodreads.

I've complained to Amazon about this before and I can't be the only one. It's baffling that there's no option to mark reviews as containing spoilers - they harm both sellers and customers, having anybody come along and dump them in reviews is useful to precisely nobody.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Which is particularly infuriating given that Amazon owns and runs Goodreads.

I've complained to Amazon about this before and I can't be the only one. It's baffling that there's no option to mark reviews as containing spoilers - they harm both sellers and customers, having anybody come along and dump them in reviews is useful to precisely nobody.
the excuse given to me is some people want to know the end before they buy & that in bookstores nothing ever stopped people from flipping through to read the last page before they bought-- thus they believe the reviews serve those readers

while technically true, i don't know why it's more important to please the minority who dislikes suspense & dramatic tension rather than to please the majority who want to make the journey of discovery for themselves

·
Registered
568 Posts
the excuse given to me is some people want to know the end before they buy & that in bookstores nothing ever stopped people from flipping through to read the last page before they bought-- thus they believe the reviews serve those readers

while technically true, i don't know why it's more important to please the minority who dislikes suspense & dramatic tension rather than to please the majority who want to make the journey of discovery for themselves
If that were the case then they could just do exactly as they do on Goodreads - put a warning, and to read the review you just click to reveal it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This comes up frequently and I admit I don't get it. I don't read reviews because I expect them to ruin the book to an extent. Sometimes blurbs tell me more than I want to know upfront. And then there are readers who prefer to know what happens before getting into it. Some reviewers might be mean-spirited, and purposely try to ruin parts of your story for readers, but anyone who reads often and refers to reviews knows the risk.

This is a none issue IMO, and I personally wouldn't encourage anyone to police how readers express their opinions about your work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As most above have said, Amazon doesn't care. I agree with other people in upvoting the other reviews. Ask your friends and newsletter to do that. You could try emailing amazon, it wouldn't hurt, but it might not help either

·
Registered
25 Posts
You could add a comment, but if you're worried about the review being front and center, comments move the review up higher in your review pool.
FYI, this isn't a thing anymore. In the last year, they removed the ability to comment on a review.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Reviews are always a mixed bag. In one respect, a reviewer who spills out the story line obviously liked it enough to read the whole book. Other potential readers may see it that way. You never know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts