Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, oddball question, but when you are writing, what are some things that you do that make complete sense to you but may be totally weird to anyone else who isn't a writer?  When I was working on things yesterday my gf was reading in the room and she just looked over and said, what the heck are you doing?  Because when I'm doing dialog especially I like to act things out, like expressions and things, so I can try to describe them.  But from another person's perspective I might just be blasting music and making faces at my computer screen.

Anyways, that came up and it made me wonder if anybody else out there had strange little things in their process that totally make sense, but may also make you look like a crazy person if someone saw you do it.

Have a good one, everyone!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yeah, I hear you. When I'm alone, I could be heard running dialog, asking questions and answering them, even getting up and moving around, staging how a victim might back away or collapse on the floor, right hand, left, right leg back etc. Seems normal to me, but if you were watching from another room, you'd figure I was crazy.

You can't see everything in your mind's eye. Sometimes a good scene needs editing with a real person.

·
Registered
494 Posts
My writing, and the material surrounding it, is incredibly internalized. The one thing that baffles people when they see my process is that they can't see my process. It infuriated my teachers all throughout school because tests would have the inevitable "plan out your essay on this page" sheet, and mine was always, always, completely blank.

With memory problems cropping up due to health, this has been to my disadvantage. Now I forget essential details quickly and I often can't find them again because I never wrote them down. I'm slowly but surely being forced from pantsing to plotting, and I've always disliked the latter. Ah well, what can you do?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
NikOK said:
So, oddball question, but when you are writing, what are some things that you do that make complete sense to you but may be totally weird to anyone else who isn't a writer? When I was working on things yesterday my gf was reading in the room and she just looked over and said, what the heck are you doing? Because when I'm doing dialog especially I like to act things out, like expressions and things, so I can try to describe them. But from another person's perspective I might just be blasting music and making faces at my computer screen.

Anyways, that came up and it made me wonder if anybody else out there had strange little things in their process that totally make sense, but may also make you look like a crazy person if someone saw you do it.

Lol, I'm the same.

When I'm on a writing roll, I just get it down there, especially jousting dialogue between people. Then when I go through it, it's sometime bland when it's all dialogue. Especially if using text to speach.

I alway have at the back of my mind "action and reaction," both in dialogue and action scenes. That's when I act it out in my mind and sometimes verbally, to the amusement of anyone in earshot, or seeing my facial expressions as I go through scenes to get the right amount of reactions to either actions or what someone says to them.

So you're not alone.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
If I can get into the zone, I will have periods when my hands go still, I stare off into space, and wait for the words to start flowing again. It's been described as me going all weird, sometimes my mouth is open and my eyes are blank. Apparently that can be a bit scary.

The funny thing is, I'm aware this is happening, but it's so brief I can't really do anything.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I definitely mirror my characters' expressions while I'm writing and rereading what I wrote. I don't recite lines, but if I get stuck on something or have a thought, I will say it aloud to myself. I dunno why, but things tend to work out better if I verbalize them. You're totally not alone on that front.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
NikOK said:
So, oddball question, but when you are writing, what are some things that you do that make complete sense to you but may be totally weird to anyone else who isn't a writer? When I was working on things yesterday my gf was reading in the room and she just looked over and said, what the heck are you doing? Because when I'm doing dialog especially I like to act things out, like expressions and things, so I can try to describe them. But from another person's perspective I might just be blasting music and making faces at my computer screen.

Just one of the advantages of living alone with a dog!

·
Registered
57 Posts
unkownwriter said:
If I can get into the zone, I will have periods when my hands go still, I stare off into space, and wait for the words to start flowing again. It's been described as me going all weird, sometimes my mouth is open and my eyes are blank. Apparently that can be a bit scary.

The funny thing is, I'm aware this is happening, but it's so brief I can't really do anything.
I do something similar. Usually just when my husband is passing through the room, of course. (He has learned not to interrupt me in that situation, though--he used to look at me and think, "ah, she's not doing anything," and then I would snap at him for interrupting my writing!)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha, I didn't expect so many people to do something similar.  Thanks for the replies!  And I definitely do the one that was mentioned about staring off into space for a minute.  Sometimes I can see what's happening, but it takes me a little to actually describe it.  And, yep, "going all weird" is such a good description  :D

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I once had tears running down my cheeks as I wrote a particular scene. Probably a good thing my husband wasn't around because he definitely would have interrupted my roll out of concern.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I’m definitely a “read aloud” kind of person. I even do the character accents. I’m especially proud of my drawling cowboy accent…

·
Registered
457 Posts
I totally internalize my stories and actually feel their emotions to the point where I have cried as I am writing or even proofreading.

I am not a crier at all so this freaks out my family at times to see me tearing up on my laptop.

Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts