1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
226 Posts
The reporter has no idea what he's talking about. E-Ink screens are great in sunlight. The color e-ink screen they're showing is from Mirasol. Amazon is already working with them in their labs, but they say the technology just isn't there yet.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Yeah, if you're going to bash specific e-readers, you should probably check them out beforehand. Pretty annoying. Yeah, Bezos has said many times in interviews that he doesn't believe colour e-ink screens are ready yet. And it could have been my imagination, but I thought the Qualcomm version was a bit more reflective than the Kindle. I thought I noticed a reflection of the reporter's hand on the e-reader screen towards the end there.

I really hate it when a reporter discusses a subject he/she hasn't researched. It's your job to make sure you know what you're talking about. When I was a political reporter, I didn't just ask a lawmaker what his/her bill was about and call it a day. I actually read the bill. That's what you get paid for. ::)

Now if the reporter had said something like, "You can't really read outside with an iPad because of the glare, and Kindles don't have colour," then that would have been acceptable.

ETA: Although, it also would have been nice if the interviewee had said, "Actually, you can read the Kindle in sunlight just fine, but they don't have colour."

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yes, Mirasol looks very cool and will most likely be the future of e-readers (and cell phones and laptops, maybe).

But the CEO didn't even understand his own pitch: that Mirasol combines the advantages of e-Ink (readable in sunlight, easy on the eyes, low power consumption) and LCD (full color and video). He kept saying e-Ink/Kindles AND LCD/iPads are hard to read in sunlight. Of course, notice how they only brought out an iPad, not a Kindle for their little demo.  ;)

Interesting that they said we should see Mirasol in commercial e-readers in "early 2011."

·
Registered
569 Posts
HappyGuy said:
Found this on Fox news while wandering around. On the right side there are a several news videos. Find the one titled, " Qualcomm Makes E- Reading in Sun Easier..." It's on the page at the URL below.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2010/08/05/worst-places-live/?cmpid=prn_baynote_Ten_Worst_Places_to_Live#
It gave me a "this content is temporarily unavailable."
Here's the direct link anyway: http://video.foxnews.com/v/3976965/10-worst-jobs-in-america?playlist_id=87083

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Very bad reporting.  I love my Kindle -- dedicated for just reading and size for easy carrying.  But I do miss color.  So I hope one day in the not too too distant future, Kindle will have color on the screen.  But I expect I still will be buying my "picture books" (coffee table type) in DTB form.

I just watched it.  Worked OK for me.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Looks like not only the reporter by the guy from Mirasol was wrong about the Kindle. Could we please, however, not start bashing Fox News yet again? All networks make mistakes, but bashing doesn't have any place on these great boards.  Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I love Fox News, seems like most of the bashing comes from the political leanings of whichever news company and not really from the content most times, but not sure that's what's happening here.  I can't get behind a poorly done news piece like this, whoever does it.  I sent an email to both Qualcomm and Fox about it... we'll see if it does any good.  Apparently the Fox one won't since the email just came back as undeliverable due to their email inbox being full... really?

I'm more ashamed of the Qualcomm exec not saying something.  He knew better and just stood there and let him say those misleading things about the Kindle and the Nook.  Then he says they're not bashing Apple which I found pretty ironic.  At least Fox had the excuse of the reporter not doing his research or bothering to ever see the product he was alluding to on national television... it's not much of an excuse but it's more of one than the Qualcomm guy had.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Scheherazade said:
I love Fox News, seems like most of the bashing comes from the political leanings of whichever news company. I can't get behind a poorly done news piece like this, though. I sent an email to both Qualcomm and Fox about it... we'll see if it does any good. Apparently the Fox one won't since the email just came back as undeliverable due to their email inbox being full... really?
I agree about not getting behind a news story that's so poorly done. I don't blame anyone for letting them know about their errors.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I was not bashing Fox at all!  As a matter of fact, my husband and I watch FoxNews 99% of the time.  lol  I merely pointed out to the reporter that his info on the Kindle and e-ink was incorrect.  By the way, my email to Fox didn't come back......

Melissa

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Muddypawz said:
I was not bashing Fox at all! As a matter of fact, my husband and I watch FoxNews 99% of the time. lol I merely pointed out to the reporter that his info on the Kindle and e-ink was incorrect. By the way, my email to Fox didn't come back......

Melissa
No, you weren't. I was referring to some other posts.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
LibbyD said:
I don't think that a thoughtful evaluation of a reporter's story qualifies as "bashing".
I don't think that a thoughtful evaluation of a reporter's story is bashing, either. There are no bashing posts here any longer, as it appears that the replies to which I was referring have been removed by their posters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts