Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not life. . . . .books.

Today I decided to take inventory of my library, both physical and e- and. . .frankly. . . .I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I have about 20 pages of books/magazines/newspapers on my Kindle, plus another 6 of samples. I'm in the midst of reading 2 books, plus I try to get to the newspaper daily, and I have at least 3 issues of Ellery Queen I haven't even looked at. Then there's the not-Kindle reading I have in the house: 2 1/2 issues of Readers' Digest (someone started sending us this when we bought something else), the latest Issue of the Atlantic, and many, many. . . . MANY. . . paper books that I'd bought before I got my Kindle. That's not even counting the "100 Great Books" volumes which I need to organize on my shelves rather than stacking on the floor. (My brother and I were discussing over Easter how we grew up in a house where there were books in every room of the house. . . .and we realized we're both carrying on that tradition. . . .)

Sometimes I just really like having all that reading material available. . . kinda feel like the Burgess Meredith character in that Twilight Zone episode before he broke his glasses. And others, like today, I wonder if I'll ever get to it all! I become paralyzed and can't even start!

Am I weird? :D (Be kind!)

Ann

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I just looked around the house, I have 100 feet of bookshelves full of books. Not terribly impressive, I know, but add to that the two pick up loads of books I recently took to the library for them to resell. Then there's the four thousand comic books that I get out and read often.
I only have 17 pages of books on my Klassic Kindle, with two of them being samples. Oh forgot the five different magazines I subscribe to, fishing, home improvement, backpacking and kayaking. So, no, you don't sound weird, any more than I am. Of course, if you talk to my wife or coworkers, they tend to tell a different story. ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am thinking you are very much like the rest of us on this Board.  After all, we are Readers.

I am not overwhelmed by it all though.  I just think of the reading material hoarding as insurance against a rainy day with nothing to do.  The fact that I always have something to do regardless of the weather is irrelevant.

However.... the magazine purchases ARE an addiction I am working very hard at taming!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
If you are weird, then you're in the right place.  I predict pages and pages of posts, all of us explaining pretty much the same scenerio.  I have Civil War magazines loaned to me by one of the guys at my club in my vehicle, and also a magazine concerning gospel singing groups that travel on the east coast.  I had been taking these to restaurants to read pre-K. 
I have a small book shelf in each of my two bedrooms and one on the landing at the top of the stairs.  I have two bags of books in my vehicle to donate.  I have a pile of books my girlfriend gave me to read.  I have a Longaberger basket in my living room full of magazines.  Doesn't sound like a lot, but my apartment isn't huge and I know I will never ever be able to get to all of it. 
Oh yeah, 28 pages on my K.
deb

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ann, I feel your pain. Sometimes when I finish a book it's late and I am just too tired to pick out which of my HUGE collection of unread books to read next!! I'll tell you when I feel overwhelmed like that, I just read a sample or three. That way, I don't have to choose which book (yet) and I get to make a dent in my samples list.

The only time I feel truly overwhelmed is when I realize that I may die before I get to read all the wonderful books out there!

Here's to hoping we all live long, long lives. :)

EllenR

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
EllenR said:
Ann, I feel your pain. Sometimes when I finish a book it's late and I am just too tired to pick out which of my HUGE collection of unread books to read next!! I'll tell you when I feel overwhelmed like that, I just read a sample or three. That way, I don't have to choose which book (yet) and I get to make a dent in my samples list.
Me, too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same here.  I have subscribed to two magazines that I have not even opened up, pre-K days.  Now all I want to do is read my Kindle when I have a spare moment.  I have not even looked at my Readers Digest or hardly looked at my paper.  I also download books from audible.com and I get the New York Times for free from them.  I do listen to the New York Times on my Kindle if I download it before I go to work.  I too have so many books and so little time.  I do love the fact that I no longer have to try to shove those books into my purse any longer.  I still have way too much to read and not nearly enough time, but I do not ever want to be without something to read.  If I go to a restaurant and have ordered I feel naked without my reading materials with me.  What is wrong with us umm.......

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Sorry Ann - you are definitely NOT weird!  Not according to the rules for being a kindleboarder mod  :mad:  If I was not scaling down and had not when we moved here I would be right along with you.  My ILs have books and papers and magazines all over the house and they have a BIG house!  I am so glad we are in Mexico because it will not be our responsibility, not mine anyway  ;) when "the time comes".  Just glad we have the KB to keep us all weirdly sane muhahahahahahahahaha

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Just think, if we were all rich, instead of weird we could be eccentric.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I've imagined how less cluttered our home would be if not for all the books. Hubby and I have tons of text books in addition to my fun-reading collection, and there would be even more if not for two recent moves! Last weekend, I filled three large shopping bags with books for library donation that I have finally given up on ever reading, or have decided I will never read again nor recommend/lend to anybody. I probably should've filled more bags, but it's hard to give up these books! :(

I shudder to think how many more books I'd have if not for LyBerry and the library! :eek:

N :)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Yeah, we had several book giveaways with boxes and boxes of books until we got our K1s. Since then, I don't think we've bought any dead tree books but some "how-to" books that weren't available on Kindle (and that had illustrations and photos that really wouldn't look very good on the Kindle). I love "real" books, but having a huge library available at my fingertips in one little electronic box is definitely a huge step against "book clutter"! ;D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nope, not weird at all. I'm happy to be with you all.

I love to read so when I arrived here in '75, I joined The Literary Guild, DoubleDay Club and Mystery Guild so I was ordering a lot of books every month. Then I decided I wanted the leather-bound classics for my 'future' library.

When I moved to Texas from NJ in 1985, I sold and left and gave everything to friends but kept the books. Spent a lot of moulah to move boxes and boxes of books. Well, everything in Texas was indeed BIG so I was able to unpack most of the book boxes and had 6 tall bookshelves for my favorite books -- the ones that I like to re-read. Others have comfort food, I have my comfort books!

Opportunity knocked in 1989 - and I returned to NJ. I asked my future employers to pay my moving expenses -- the way I looked at it, if they want me bad enough, they'll give me what I asked for. We negotiated and agreed on everything so once again, I sold and gave away everything but my boxes of books and this time, a piano. The movers were grumbling that it was easier to move furnitures etc.. than boxes, lots and lots of HEAVY boxes! Made me feel bad but WTH?!?

Once in NJ, I rented a storage unit for the boxes of books cuz the place I was renting was small. Yet, I continued buying books, started stamps/coins collecting, buying VHS tapes of movies, now DVDs and audiobooks - cassette/CDs, not to mention music tapes (45/LP records reel to reel, 8-track, cassettes, CDs, <-- yep, I still have the respective players!). It got to the point that I was once again running out of space so I had to rent a second storage unit. I hope I don't have to move again!!!

With the Kindle, I won't have to rent a 3rd unit, thank the good Lord! <vbg>

What can I say, as addiction goes, it's better than doing drugs, gambling etc... Heh!

ebc

·
Registered
621 Posts
intinst said:
Just think, if we were all rich, instead of weird we could be eccentric.
One of the unanticipated side effects of being Officially Old {with 75 coming up fast} is that I can be regarded as eccentric instead of just weird!

Anyway, I went to a restaurant last night with a group of four other people and because I walk with a cane, I quickly got offered a seat during the 20 minute wait. All around me, people were muttering and complaining, but *I* whipped out Serenity and had a nice little read!

patrisha

·
Registered
388 Posts
mwb said:
I hear you so well. Shelving with books and DVDs everywhere. Piles of books on the floor.

To be read, listened to and watched piles that scare me with their size!

In the never ending battle against stuff I lose again and again.

Perhaps it is time to give it all up and be a nomad? ;D
Gee, I don't feel so bad now! I thought we were the only ones who had piles of books, boxes of books, shelves of books, etc. everywhere!

If we ever have to move we are in deep trouble...

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I give away boxes of books to the library and the thrift stores and I still can't seem to empty my shelves. We moved a few years ago and then returned to our home and our movers couldn't believe the number of boxes of books we took with us. I still remember when one of my daughters returned from her first babysitting job. I asked her how she liked babysitting and all she could say was, "Mom, they didn't have one single book in their house. It was like their home was naked." Hopefully when I get my Kindle I will finally be able to free up some shelf space.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Oh definitely, sometimes it's all too much. When I was writing and submitting short stories, I subscribed to a lot of newsletters and magazines for writing tips and to see what was being published. I wound up with stacks and stacks of magazines and I couldn't keep up. I eventually cancelled most of my subscriptions and focussed on reading what I'd bought. After all, I'd paid for them and I do enjoy reading short stories and poetry, so I starting read a little every day. I'm now down to one little stack of a monthly magazine, and one large stack of literary magazines.

I was buying a lot of books for awhile, but I've cut down on my book buying, though never completely! Still my TBR pile is huge.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.