Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New Poster here.

I stumbled onto this forum trying to find info on my new Kindle DX. I had never heard of the Kindle until late May. A friend bought a Kindle II and was so excited about it, she had to show it to me. She wanted me to run out right away and buy it so we could share an account (Yeah right. At that price?) I really truly liked what it did but the it seemed weird reading in what I thought was such a small area (I love hardbacks and the larger size paperbacks.) Anyway I told her I would go to Amazon and get information and think about it. But I already knew I wasn't going to buy it because I didn't like the screen size.

As I was getting info I was surprised and pleased that a new one was coming out with a larger screen. Bingo! After reading the specs, I knew this one suited me better than the one my friend had but again size was an issue--and of course price. By reading some reviews, it appeared I was going to get something huge and much too heavy. So I was left with a choice of getting something too small or too big. But still I wanted this. I easily have over a thousand books in my home and something like this is a God send. So I pre-ordered the Kindle DX. The more I read about the DX size, I was really was not too enthused, already determining I was not going to use it that much and only use it at home. In fact, I had made up my mind to cancel but it had already been shipped. I was actualy feeling a bit peeved with my friend for always talking me into doing something I really didn't want to do. Already I was thinking of a way to hide it from my husband, scared he would open the box and see what I paid for it. When I did get it, it took me almost a week to open it. But when I did, I wish I could have seen the smile on my face. I knew I was looking at my new best friend. I absolutely loved it! It was so slim and sleek and wasn't thicker than a magazine. It was not the heavy slate or laptop looking thing I was expecting.

I loved it so much, I knew my fellow bookworms at work had to see this. Like me, not one person had ever heard of the kindle. After I demonstrated what it can do and the way it worked, everybody went crazy. They loved it as much as I did, especially the page size and felt it was like looking at a real book. Surprisingly, many thought price was not an issue and that in the long run, they would save money. (I have to add that most of these people can easily afford it). In fact one lady put in an order for a large one for herself and a smaller one for her daughter. It also gave them gift ideas for family members. I made sure to tell them there was a smaller and less expensive version but everyone preferred the DX; wanting the exact same model they held in their hands. Like me, all of these ladies carry large handbags for our lunches, books, etc., so the size really is not an issue for any of us and it is not heavy in the least. It easily slips right into one of the cloth compartments of my purse and I zip it right in there. (I do have it in a plastic baggie). I seems I will be sharing an account with my limit of six people. I like that I have two ways to browse and order books. I can go directly to the Amazon site or use the Kindle key board. I find the keyboard a bit small for my liking, and as I am at the computer practically eight hours a day, I prefer going directly to the site.

I was feeling kind of bad/guilty about paying this kind of money for this reader and told myself all the reasons why I should not do it. I make so many sacrifices for my family, many times paying their rent, utility, you name, I do it. I never buy anything for myself. But this time it's all about me. I deserve this. I do. I wonder if my husband will feel that way when he finally finds out.

Now we're wondering if we can order books other than from Amazon, like Ebay perhaps?

Loving my Kindle

Cert 01

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards!

There are lots of places to get books besides Amazon.... Have a look at this thread in the Book Corner:

Book Lovers' Links

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Any ebooks found on ebay are most likely ripped off. There is a thread on this around here somewhere. Anyway, you don't need ebay books, there are dozens of sites to get books from that are legit! Many free classics and Amazon has great competitve prices!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Welcome. I know what you mean, I really wanted the K1 when it came out but I wasn't sure how much I'd like it and the fact that it was on backorder every time I checked helped delay my purchase. But when I finally got it I loved it.

As for ebay books, I wouldn't suggest buying there for the reasons already posted.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Welcome to the Kindleboards! It is nice you are so excited over your Kindle. I have a Kindle 2 and seem to have it in my hands quite often. We all deserve a present we will use often,and I am smiling thinking of you not telling your husband the price! I do the same thing at times. My husband actually bought mine for me, he has his own electronic toys. You must look the accessory site and find all the covers you can get to protect your new DX with.
  Kdawna

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Welcome Cert01!  Congratulations on your new DX.  

It was fun to read your story.  I know how you were feeling.  I bought my K1 without ever seeing a Kindle and was a little apprehensive.  I didn't have it very long before the K2 came out, I sold my K1 and got a K2.  Since it first arrived, I have had no regrets and I love my Kindle more than I could have imagined.  

As someone already mentioned, make sure you visit the Book Corner.  You will learn about other sites you can get books from and maybe find some suggestions for books too.

Glad to have you aboard!

ps. I think you also DESERVE a skin and maybe a cover, there are lots of hints in the Accessories board

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Thanks for the info for ordering ebooks.  I will go and look around and will not order from Ebay if it's not legal.  I have found some great books from Amazon and have ordered twenty already.  I'm going to have to slow down.  I'm spending too much money but I'm having a ball.   

Thanks.

Cert 01

·
Super Moderator
67,293 Posts
One trick many of us have learned to keep spending under control, is to buy ourselves an Amazon gift certificate each month.  Then keep track of what we've used of it and stop when it's gone.  The other good thing about this is you don't end up with a whole lot of really small charges on your credit card.  And, as an added bonus, if you buy it through the KindleBoards link above, KB gets an affiliate payment that helps keep this site going.  Same is true for the other affiliates listed above.

Check out the Book Bazaar for info on books at really great prices, many by authors who are also members here.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Welcome Cert

It just warms the heart to hear someone so excited about the Kindle. You will find lots of us share your same enthusiasm. Browse around the many forums, pick up some free book, bargain books, accessories....Decal Girl just posted skins for the DX on her site, I am sure there is something that will catch your eye, cover ...see the link for Oberon at the top,, take a quick look and fall in love. Enter the contest for a Borsa Bella bag....you are among family here.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi there!
I loved your Kindle story!  May you spend many happy hours together.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It would be nice, that something as expensive as this is (too most people), that we could go somewhere, a book store, or a mall kiosk, to see it in person. Touch and feel it. Then we could better decide which one will most suit us.

I understand trying to justify the expense with the hubby. But if he understands how much you like to read, and that it makes you happy, he should be okay. I did mention to him, "Remember how excited you were when you got your GPS for the truck, and how much we love our iPod?" Whatever works.

Enjoy your new DX.

Laurie

·
Registered
472 Posts
Congrats!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  So glad to hear that you love your DX! Yes, I agree with the others...check out the accessories board...you want to keep your new best friend in excellent shape!

be sure to search for the free books at amazon. Alot of them I never would have tried out before, but it turns out that they are pretty good. Kindles are a great way to break out of your "comfort zone" of reading.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Welcome to the boards, I think you'll like it here quite a bit. As others have mentioned, be sure to look into books in the public domain. There are plenty of them, and some of them are great reads.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Congrats on your KDX :)
Yes you do deserve it and I am sure your Hubby will agree.
I have all 3 versions of the Kindle,and I also really appreciate the larger screen on the KDX.
I would avoid the ebay stuff,for several reasons some of which are found here on another thread.
Enjoy your KDX :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Congrats!

I know what you mean - I had terrible guilt at first for spending so much money on my K2 but I don't regret it at all!  I LOVE it, spend so much time reading and I have discovered many great authors I'd never heard of before for such low prices that I can easily justify it to myself now  ;D

·
Registered
581 Posts
How exciting! I get all enthused again just reading your post!

The Book Bazaar has links to many books that range from free to $0.80 to $0.99 to $1.59. You can read for quite a long time, just with all the free and extreme-bargain books. I find myself checking that part of the forum--several times a day.
I have so many, I don't know if I'll ever have the time to read them all.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
There are a ton of free books, and quite a few titles at 1.99 or below.  So having tons of books in your inventory shouldn't be a problem all the time.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I think you'll find your love for your DX will just increase over time.  I know I'm more and more enthralled with my K2 everyday, and now it's never far from me!  Welcome!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I think we have another member of the kindleholics group  ::)  It is an obsession and you appear to fit just fine with the rest of us.  AND you will find out more than kindle information, you will learn about teas, coffees, kitchenaids, you name it and we talk about it.

Nice to have you here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts