Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't published anything since spring of 2019 and I don't feel bad about it. I have, however, continued writing every single day. Roleplays, short stories, books that I shelf, etc. This time has not been wasted. I'm finally ready to start publishing again though. I miss it. The few followers I acquired on my website/mailing lists probably wonder where I went. I just needed a break from the pressure so I could focus on the joy of writing itself. I have created some interesting and fun characters/stories and feel passionate about writing just as much.

This post is intended as a fun follow up to where I've been all this time: writing for the fun of it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
This sounds really healthy.  It's awesome that this worked out for you and that you're still enjoying writing.  To keep going and still love what you do sounds like the dream, no matter what form it's all in.  Glad that you are back publishing, and glad that you sound so dang upbeat about it  :D  You've got a good thing going.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Rose, I was just thinking about you! So glad to see that you're "back".

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's so sensible and healthy! As indie writers it can be so easy to lose our joy in writing because of all the focus we have to put on the nuts and bolts of publishing, the marketing, etc. Long breaks can be the best thing possible for our mental health and our love of the craft. And sometimes it pays off in productivity as well!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I want to reach through the Internet and give you a hug! That's so wonderful that you took a big step back and have been using your time to write for the joy of it. (And successfully, too!)

Your post comes at the right time for me, because I'm feeling like I need to take a break of at least a couple of months and reevaluate what I want to do next, and at what pace. I've focused so much on "Gotta create new titles!" for the past few years that it's turned into another job that I just trudge my way through, and I firmly believe that if we're forcing ourselves to write with no pleasure involved, that comes through in the writing.

Best of luck with your next steps, whatever they turn out to be!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Allyson J. said:
Rose, I was just thinking about you! So glad to see that you're "back".
Allyson! Hi! How are you? Yeah, I'm good. I just needed a bit of time to write for writings sake.

Thanks, everyone! I do think this time has been reasonably positive for my writing. I'm ready to start doing the business side of things again for sure.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Rose Andrews said:
I haven't published anything since spring of 2019 and I don't feel bad about it. I have, however, continued writing every single day. Roleplays, short stories, books that I shelf, etc. This time has not been wasted. I'm finally ready to start publishing again though. I miss it. The few followers I acquired on my website/mailing lists probably wonder where I went. I just needed a break from the pressure so I could focus on the joy of writing itself. I have created some interesting and fun characters/stories and feel passionate about writing just as much.

This post is intended as a fun follow up to where I've been all this time: writing for the fun of it.
Sounds good. Great to see you back.

I stopped in 2018, only recently taking it up again as far as writing goes, now I have tons of stuff in the pipeline with two books completed though not published, and tons of ideas I've worked out during the break.

Only difference with my break is I still hung around on here because to me kindleboards is like a drug and I need my daily fix to keep in touch with people having a common interest .

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know you but I applaud your actions.

Writing is a labor of love. The worst thing is to let marketing, publishing, and all the other noise around it ruin the joy of creating something. My approach is to tell myself that I'm not in it to make money (certainly not to get rich). That takes some pressure off.  :)

Wishing you all the best!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Man, I really needed to hear that message. You  have the proper attitude and your way of handling your situation is very sane and even healthy. Thanks for reinforcing the fun factor in this business. I'm glad you stepped back like that. You'll be much better for it. Yet, you really didn't stop writing which is marvelous, and you no doubt kept your writing knife sharp and you didn't block. You're going right back into publishing with the perfect attitude and momentum.

Me, what a wreck. Two publishers actually fought over my near entire unpublished inventory of eight books and my agent got involved. We contracted four books out to one publisher and four to the other--adult books and YA books. At the same time! Those books have been published in the last 19 months, literally tearing me away from my writing and throwing me into a horrendous promo and marketing campaign.

I have been feeling SO guilty because not one new word has been written, obviously because of the editing and marketing workload. Unlike you, I did not keep my writing wit or re-kindle my discipline.

Thanks for reminding me that there's nothing wrong and I can pick myself right back up again. 

1 - 11 of 11 Posts