Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I was in TARGET of all places and they had the Sony eReader on display......  Granted it is 60 bucks cheaper but..it isn't anywhere near as cool as our Kindles.  It just didn't feel right in my hand.  I didn't like the buttons that ran up the side and felt the two click wheels were a bit clumsy.  Yes, I looked like a little kid playing with the video games while Mom and Dad shopped.

There was one cool accessory that I saw on display and that was a cover with a built in light. 

But I wouldn't trade my sapphire mEdge cover for one.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
We have a Target and I look for the Sony every time I'm there but haven't found one to look at in person. I'd love to have the opportunity you had!

I know we have members who have both, and have heard pros and cons from them on the Sony.  I think one member only reads the Amazon only content on her Kindle and reads most of the rest on the Sony.  There are some other threads, search for Sony if you want to find them.

Betsy

·
Registered
42 Posts
I purchased a Sony 505 in January, prior to the new Kindle coming out, then I purchased a Kindle 2. For me, the controls on the Kindle are easier to use, so I am trying to sell the Sony. and I agree with jmiked, the wireless purchasing and Amazon's selection of books sealed the deal for me. Betsy, if you have a Border's near, they usually have them on a display where you can try them out. Jeni

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Thanks, I'll look next time.  (We were just in Border's last week, but I headed right for the coffee shop.)
The wireless and Amazon sold me too.  I DO like that I can read it in bright day light, and would be curious to know how the Sony does with that.  I was reading outside on Saturday, and people were amazed at how readable it was.  I can add a light at night but carrying a large box to sit in to read outside is more difficult.

Betsy

·
Registered
244 Posts
There is a guy that is often on the same flights I am on.  We always stand in line and chat.  At about the same time as I got my Kindle he showed up with a Sony eReader.  He saw my Kindle and said that he had really wanted a Kindle but had gotten the Sony as a gift.  He was going to keep the Sony but really like the wireless and selection of books for the Kindle.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I played with the Sony 505 in the Targets near me but did not care for it.  The controls are way too small for me, plus you can't really sample too much on it.  I'm happy with my K2.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I have a Sony laptop and so I get various promotional mailings from Sony every week or so. They have a new advertising campaign for their e-reader, touting 500,000 free books. Here's an ad from the Wall Street Journal.

Anyway, the promotional email I got this week was about the ereader. Interestingly, they are pushing the PRS-505 which is not their newest version. The PRS-700 came out in November. This is the one with the built in light which is getting so-so reviews.

At the Sony website, they've dropped the price of the PRS-700 to $349 from $399. The PRS-505 is $299.

L

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Is it me, or does that picture look more like a KK than a Sony?

Also.. the 500,000 books are mostly public domain, and easily available elsewhere. No win for Sony here.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My dh and I were trapped at the Orlando airport for 12 hours during the last Nor'easter.  The Borders store there has the Sony ereader on display.  I had only had my Kindle for three days, but when I played with the Sony I wasn't as happy with the ergonomics.

I am happy for all ereaders, though, because the more there are the more books I think will appear in an electronic format.  That's good for us all  ;D

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
sirsell said:
This is kinda like comparing an Zune to the ipod...yeah its a competitor, but will never be as good!
Need to be careful talking like that around here. ;) Harveys other forum is a Zune forum

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, playing with a Sony ereader for ten minutes and deciding it's not great is kind of the same as when people see my Kindle, look at it for several minutes and still aren't sure. I think you really have to use one (either one) in a complete way to appreciate their pros and cons. Granted, that's not easy.

I had a Sony PR-505 before my Kindle. I liked its look better, to be honest. I got it around the same time the K1 came out. It's really a nice-looking device, and though thin, feels good. The cover is better than the K1 cover. But the clunkiness of the online store, and the fact that it's not Mac compatible, is a pain. The selection of books was comparable then, but not now. And the Whispernet-- no contest.

After I got my K1 I appreciated more the obvious-- the WN, the selection of books, etc. The design was still ugly, I thought, but more ergonomic than I'd anticipated (see? You gotta use the thing for awhile to appreciate!) Then came K2, which kept all the pros of the Kindle AND imo took care of the design issues, which, I admit, are important to me. I like my devices to look neato. So I'm a veteran of those three devices and I'm firmly and happy with my K2.

As someone above said: the Sony ereader is a fine reading device. But I prefer the Kindle.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
akjak said:
Is it me, or does that picture look more like a KK than a Sony?

Also.. the 500,000 books are mostly public domain, and easily available elsewhere. No win for Sony here.
Unfortunately, its probably effective for the uninformed. Amazon touts 250,000 books (mostly new ones that you would actually want to buy at a bookstore) and Sony touts 500,000 (or millions, even) of public domain books that you can also read on the Kindle. But as long as they leave out that part people think they are actually competitive.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Chad Winters said:
Unfortunately, its probably effective for the uninformed. Amazon touts 250,000 books (mostly new ones that you would actually want to buy at a bookstore) and Sony touts 500,000 (or millions, even) of public domain books that you can also read on the Kindle. But as long as they leave out that part people think they are actually competitive.
Well it just goes to show that those that do not do the research will get what they were looking for. The best advertising :-\

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Chad Winters said:
Amazon touts 250,000 books (mostly new ones that you would actually want to buy at a bookstore)
In my totally unscientific opinion, 90% or more (and probably more) of the new additions to Amazon's Kindle booklist comprises either public domain unreadables, or else short stories. Huge numbers of sci fi short stories are being added each week. I am not so impressed anymore with haw many older (but not ancient) books are being added.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
stevene9 said:
In my totally unscientific opinion, 90% or more (and probably more) of the new additions to Amazon's Kindle booklist comprises either public domain unreadables, or else short stories. Huge numbers of sci fi short stories are being added each week. I am not so impressed anymore with haw many older (but not ancient) books are being added.
They just added two absolutely brand new books that I have been very eager to read and was told that originally had no plans for Kindle versions. I have pre-ordered them and they will be delivered to my Kindle on Monday. I am thrilled.

I was crowing about this on another mailing list I am on and someone asked, "How can I get the book for my Sony? Can I write Amazon?" Um, hm, I doubt it. Write the publisher, write Amazon. And good luck. For these two books, I am completely convinced that consumer clout (clicking the "I want to read" button and writing the publisher directly) is what made the difference. Our voices are heard!

L

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I use that "I want to read this on Kindle!" link on every single book I look at (that doesn't have a Kindle version, obviously). Even if I don't actually want to read the book... Heh.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Leslie said:
They just added two absolutely brand new books that I have been very eager to read L
Yes they are adding the new books, but the older ones (like 10 or 20 or 30 years old) are not being added nearly as often than say 6 months ago IMHO. I have a list of about 250 books that I would like to get on Kindle. Six months ago some of these would occasionally show up for the Kindle. Now it is very rare to see any. I would hope that they would keep working until they had convinced everyone to put everything on the Kindle. Probably too much to hope for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts