Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Everyone -

I've been gently persuading someone to choose the Kindle over a Sony ereader. Tonight I sent him a few links promoting Kindle and discouraging the Sony (thanks for the glare post, Leslie!) Anyway I decided to watch a youtube video called "Sony PRS 700 - A new chapter in reading" [link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZUKaEf1eww] to deride the glare from the [not so] helpful side reading lights.

I noticed a many members of the crowd wearing tshirts that had this slogan:

"Because we all deserve the right to a better read"

Curious to know what you all think about that. I'd make a poll but I've yet to figure out how to do that ::)

Marci

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't yet own a kindle, but the video gave me a few more reasons why I would choose the Kindle over the Sony.

1) I hadn't yet seen how bad the glare is on the screen from the lights and how they don't provide uniform lighting over the surface.  I think I'd rather have a clip-on light than deal with that.

2) The review that I read of the Sony claimed that there was no more flicker between page turns, but the video clearly shows a flicker with each change.  Not that the flicker is a big deal to me.  I understand that it is merely a by-product of the technology being used and can accept it as just that.  Turning a page in a real book is not immediate, either.  The fact that Sony is falsely touting their reader as being so much faster and without flicker is what would give me pause.

3) I think I would get tired of using the on-screen keyboard and would prefer to have a tactile one as I tend to type much faster with a tactile keyboard than a touch-screen one here (and yes, I am an iPhone owner...lol).  The passage selection option is nice and using a touch-screen allows for a lot more flexibility in the design of the interface, but if the poor screen contrast and glare are necessary companions to a touch-screen, I'd rather stick with the tactile keyboard and just have keyboard shortcuts for navigating the interface.

4) Overall, I don't appreciate Sony's business practices and methods.  They are well known for forcing use of their proprietary media and formats.  Although, to their credit, they do opt for both Memory Stick DUO PRO and SD cards on their new model.  I would like to see all the eReader models open up to all the major media formats out their, both DRM and non-DRM.  I would be much more loyal to a company that allowed me to choose whatever format I would like to use, rather than trying to force me into using theirs.  With Sony not making their software available to Mac users, they have immediately excluded myself as well as a significant amount of other educated buyers who understand the concept of brand loyalty.

So, to answer your question, IMO Sony has a way to go as well before claiming to provide a better read.

G

·
You are preachin' to the choir here.  :)  I doubt anyone here would argue any of these points.

One thing I've seen mentioned is the flicker of the page when a new one is selected.  I have no idea why that is a problem for anyone.  It's no worse than turning a page in a paper book to me.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Marci said:
Curious to know what you all think about that. I'd make a poll but I've yet to figure out how to do that ::)
Marci
Marci, couldn't be easier to make a poll, and you're welcome to start one separate from this thread.
When you're in the forum level (for example, Let's Talk Kindle!) where you can see all the topics, instead of clicking "New Topic" click on "Post New Poll"

Go for it, girl!

Betsy

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Vampyre said:
One thing I've seen mentioned is the flicker of the page when a new one is selected. I have no idea why that is a problem for anyone. It's no worse than turning a page in a paper book to me.
It doesn't take long to get used to that little flicker. I just hit next page just before I finish the last line. Sometimes turning a page in a book is worse, especially when I grab two pages at once. That happens to me a lot. Kindling has solved that problem.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think I am one of the few that would love a touch screen... but not at the cost of degraded viewing (the Sony 700) or battery life (ILliad)...

I closely wieghed all the options, and am so happy I decided on the Kindle (content and ease of getting is the best)... but a touch screen would be awesome (yes, I am a touchaddict)....

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I would rather flex my thumb a tiny tad to turn pages than scrolling, scrolling, scrolling with my finger on the screen.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Dori said:
I would rather flex my thumb a tiny tad to turn pages than scrolling, scrolling, scrolling with my finger on the screen.
I hate scrolling - scrolling to read would be no fun at all!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Dori said:
I spend so much time cleaning my iPhone screen. I love not having to clean the Kindle screen.

L

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Vampyre said:
To my eye, the turning of the Kindle page is much like the turning of a paper page. I like it.
to my arthritic fingers turning a Kindle page is much easier than turning paper page and also I don't have to lick my finger first.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Love the Kindle, but I also liked the setup on my Palm T/X with the eReader software; I could have it scroll slowly at a speed I set, and could just sit there reading.  When I needed to pause, I would tap; to start it again, a slight flick.  Of course, with the smaller screen, not having to hit page turn every time was a benefit.  Not complaining about the lack of scrolling on the Kindle, just observing.

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Vampyre said:
As I just learned today, the Kindle does have something similar, auto page turning. It could come in handy.
Is that in the tips & tricks? Going there now....

Betsy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts