Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up with the worst sore throat this morning - that flapper thing in the back of your throat is all swollen  -- any ideas of what would help that??

Even my nice warm coffee isn't soothing it -- I figure there are lots of smart people here who might have some ideas to try out - if it lasts a couple of days I will hit the urgent care (don't have a regular doctor) but I prefer to try home remedies first ...

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'm a believer in gargling with salt water.  Hope that helps.  Maybe some drink a little OJ first.  I believe in vitamin C too :)

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
This is the info I give my patients:
http://www.uptodate.com/patients/content/topic.do?topicKey=~1eLwWlzz0gy90X&selectedTitle=1~145&source=search_result

www.uptodate.com/patients
"TREATMENT

Sore throat treatment - Antibiotics do not improve throat pain caused by a virus and are not recommended. Sore throat caused by viral infections usually lasts four to five days. During this time, treatments to reduce pain may be helpful. Several therapies can help to relieve throat pain.

Pain medication - Throat pain can be treated with a mild pain reliever such as acetaminophen (Tylenol®) or a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent such as ibuprofen or naproxen (Motrin® or Aleve®).

Oral rinses - Salt-water gargles are an old stand-by for relief of throat pain. It is not clear that it is effective, but it is unlikely to be harmful. Most recipes suggest 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt per one cup (8 ounces) of warm water.

Sprays - Sprays containing topical anesthetics (eg, benzocaine, phenol) are available to treat sore throat. However, such sprays are no more effective than sucking on hard candy.

Lozenges - A variety of lozenges (cough drops) are available to treat throat pain or relieve dryness. However, it is not clear that lozenges work any better than other forms of hard candy, which are generally less expensive.

Other interventions - Other interventions include sipping warm beverages (eg, honey or lemon tea, chicken soup), cold beverages, or eating cold or frozen desserts (eg, ice cream, popsicles)."

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
ICE CREAM! 
It's a running joke in my family that when I had strep throat one semester in college and no one would take me for ice cream, my Daddy came to visit and brought a carton just for me.
I will do the hot stuff too, but ice cream always makes me feel better.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Chad Winters (#102) said:
Pain medication - Throat pain can be treated with a mild pain reliever such as acetaminophen (Tylenol®) or a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent such as ibuprofen or naproxen (Motrin® or Aleve®).
This really helps. I was supprised when my sister recommended I us advil a few years ago. (She's an RN) It was a very 'duh' moment for me lol. But it does help! I use advil only because I can't take tylenol.

theresam

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks I was going to fall back on the classic salt water gargle and aspirin and vit. C -- so I will keep that up -- I'm probably a bad patient for a doctor because I don't go right away - I don't want to be given antibiotics for everything if it will get better by itself in a few more days.  I want to save those suckers (antibiotics) up for something that really really needs them -- I know I know I have a weird thinking process.  ::)

but I LIKE the ice cream recommendation - I must admit :D

btw what the heck is that flapper thing called -- I know it has a specific name that is totally escaping me right now -

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
LOL...doesn't the "flapper thing" start with a letter u?

I will usually gargle with warm salt water, drink tea with lemon and honey and also pop a couple of Advil or Tylenol.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chynared21 said:
LOL...doesn't the "flapper thing" start with a letter u?
Uvula -- that's it -- thanks

total brain dead moment - or ageitis

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
chynared21 said:

Why don't we just blame it on your sore throat? :p
sounds good to me hehehe

·
Registered
534 Posts
I hope you feel better!  My personal remedy is to drink tea with honey.  I think the honey coats your throat or something.  Also, OJ is good, but in general, drinking a lot of fluids will help you feel better.  Fluids help hydrate your body so that your immune system cells can move through your tissues easier to get to the source of your infection to fight it.  It means more trips to the bathroom, but try to stay as hydrated as possible.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
hot toddies - lemon, booze, honey - breath the steam and drink the stuff -

I personally prefer the ice cream route, milk shakes, anything cold and creamy  ;)

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
I put a little apple cider vinegar in warm water and gargle.  It tastes horrible, but I don't swallow it.  It usually works right a way for me, unless I have some major illness coming on.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mlewis78 said:
I put a little apple cider vinegar in warm water and gargle. It tastes horrible, but I don't swallow it. It usually works right a way for me, unless I have some major illness coming on.
hmmm I drink apple cider vinegar and raw honey mixed together in warm water - it is yummy (kind of like warm lemonaide) I use Braggs ACV maybe that makes a difference... I will be sure to have some of that tonight too - it can't hurt right :) btw if you like things with a hint of spice add just a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper to that and it is still good.

I've been told I am weird before - so don't feel bad if that is your first though reading that lol

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
I think everybody else has mentioned the usual remedies, I don't have anything new to add except I hope you and your uvula are feeling better tonight rho!  Although with enough of Anju's hot toddy suggestion you might not care if your throat is still sore!

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
rho said:
I've been told I am weird before - so don't feel bad if that is your first though reading that lol
I've been told that too, LOL.
Marti

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
So sorry :(  I too have been battling the worse sore throat, and two giant knot sized balls on the back of my head.  They are very sore, I'm told they are swallon lymphnodes.  Ouch.  So far I've taking some meds, and tried my best not to talk.  Hubby loves this illness;) J/K!  Hope you are better soon, rest I heard is the best medicine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts