Kindle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been discussed in a number of threads here, but I'm curious if there are any authors who are currently interested in the idea of a CD-length (or longer) "soundtrack" download to be made available to your readers to listen to as they read your book. 

When I'm not writing fiction I create ambient soundscapes (think of the background music in a movie that isn't really a melody but helps to build the mood of the scene).  I refer to these as soundscapes instead of music because some people think of them as nothing more than noise, although the term "ambient music" covers a wide range of audio releases.  I make my soundscapes available for free download online, as do a lot of others who are creating the same type of music. 

Lately I've been thinking about the possibility of creating a soundscape to fit a particular book and I was just wondering if there are any writers interested in the idea.  There would be no cost to the writer and their only obligation would be to include a page in the front of the book directing the reader to the location of the music download or purchase.  The download would be hosted on a site that would allow the reader to download the release for free or to name their own price if they wish to pay something.  The music would also be made available for purchase as a CD for a reasonable price.

Why would I do this for free?  The same reason I've created and released about 13 hours worth of soundscapes over the past year.  The main benefit to me is that my sounds will be exposed to some poeple who may enjoy them and want to hear more of my stuff.  If you want to sample some of what I've done send me a private message and I'll send you a link. 

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Does a Kindle actually have speakers? And how do you time it so the crescendo is in the right spot and not when your character is depressed? Doesn't seem practical.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have explained the music is NOT intended to be played over the Kindle, or to sync to the storyline.  It's music the reader would play on their stereo, iPod or other device and would only be used to set the general mood of the entire book, not a particular scene. 

There is a company that's making soundtracks that correspond with the reader's pace when reading an e-book, but I'm not attempting to do that at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts