Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Katja--yes, actually. The water has to be off for them to cancel. I'd assume, also, that (being S. Korea) the computers or e-readers used would have decent battery life. Unlike the big clunky crap most people drag around with them.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Katja said:
greenpen, when you have a power outage in a normal school, do you think they continue teaching and make students read in the dark? :D (If so, the ones working with a laptop are still doing better since it has a backlit and a battery.)
In all the hundreds of normal UK schools I have visited over the last 21 years there was quite enough light to see during the daytime. You can't read a desktop with no power, and there will obviously be no standby textbooks for them to read. I will have to assume they would get sent home?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Greenpen, it's highly unlikely they'd be using desktops. Without any paper books, they'd need to take their computers home. That means laptops most likely. Which (if they don't suck) have batteries and only need to be plugged in every 8 hours or so. They'd just check them out or sell them to the students like they do now.

Actually, a friend teaches English in S. Korea and said most of the kids bring laptops to class anyway.

·
Registered
323 Posts
greenpen said:
In all the hundreds of normal UK schools I have visited over the last 21 years there was quite enough light to see during the daytime. You can't read a desktop with no power, and there will obviously be no standby textbooks for them to read. I will have to assume they would get sent home?
Baron Von Buzzkill. What happens if a nuclear weapon is detonated in the atmosphere and the EMP destroys the kid's e-readers? Noooo!!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
greenpen said:
The picture itself in the article shows they're laptops. Would be weird if they would use desktops. And what's with the power outage anyway? I don't remember having even one during my time in school. :D They're not some third world country with unstable power. South Korea is a forerunner in everything technology. If they have a power outage it would be serious business and the school kids wouldn't be the priority in that situation.

Anyway, I'm not surprised it's South Korea doing this first. Wonder how long it will take for other countries to follow.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess they can still always hope for a snow day.  That's what we used to do back in my day when we walked to school uphill both ways, lugging our schoolbooks...those really heavy illuminated manuscripts from the Middle Ages.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.