Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished Dead Until Dark.  I tried the sample and it hooked me in with its pretty interesting premise.  (Vampires have come "out of the closet" and are acknowledged in the US as a protected class.  Of course, a whole new subculture has risen up for vampires and those who want to be with them, known as fangbangers.)  So it started out pretty interesting, but I thought it dragged quite a bit in the middle.  It ended well, though.  Anybody read the subsequent books?  Are they similar, better, worse?  What do you think?

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
I'm intrigued as well. I love the series on HBO and bought Dead Until Dark because of it. I'll be curious to see how I like it. I don't usually have too much trouble separating media and liking each on its own merits, assuming it's a good product!

Betsy

Link to Dead Until Dark

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I got my kindle a month ago these were the first books I purchased.  I read the Twilight Saga and was looking for something similar.  I loved this series!  There were some in the series that were slow or didn't really have much going on but as a whole I think they were good.  There is one book, I can't think of the title at the moment, that made me think I read them out of order because what I was reading I didn't remember in the previous book.   As for the HBO series, I haven't seen any of the episodes so I'm not sure if it goes along with the books.  I am just waiting on more stories of Sookie!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks Chynared!  I will be looking into this.  I have to say, I have a bad habit of looking for books that are a series.  When I find a good book I don't want it to end!

·
Registered
829 Posts
I read the first 5 or 6 a few years ago in paper format and really enjoyed the series. I've been watching the Showtime series True Blood that is based on the books and it is fun watching the characters come to life. The series is staying pretty true to the books as well.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
mydreamywish said:
Thanks Chynared! I will be looking into this. I have to say, I have a bad habit of looking for books that are a series. When I find a good book I don't want it to end!
Anytime...that's why I love the Outlander series. I know that this is the case with "fat" books for me, if they're good you never want the story/characters to go away.

The Kim Harrison books are pretty thick. I'm only about 10 chapters in on the pb version so I'm thinking of starting it again on the Kindle. It does start off a tad slow but picks up some. I wish I could say that I've finished a book to tell you more about it since the reviews are hit or miss. Hopefully the sample will go past the slow part and pick up enough that you'll be interested in it :))

·
Registered
829 Posts
chynared21 said:
Anytime...that's why I love the Outlander series. I know that this is the case with "fat" books for me, if they're good you never want the story/characters to go away.

The Kim Harrison books are pretty thick. I'm only about 10 chapters in on the pb version so I'm thinking of starting it again on the Kindle. It does start off a tad slow but picks up some. I wish I could say that I've finished a book to tell you more about it since the reviews are hit or miss. Hopefully the sample will go past the slow part and pick up enough that you'll be interested in it :))
OH! I read Outlander - except the latest one which I do have in paper but hadn't gotten to it yet. I am in LOVE with Jamie. j/s

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ok, now you have me intrigued!  I just downloaded Outlander :) Can someone give me the titles in order so I know which one comes next.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
mydreamywish said:
Ok, now you have me intrigued! I just downloaded Outlander :) Can someone give me the titles in order so I know which one comes next.
You will love it...starts off a bit slow with background but after that...600 plus pages will fly by. Here is her website that has the books in order...scroll down a bit. Also, she has pictures from her travels while researching.

Diana Gabaldon

·
Registered
829 Posts
chynared21 said:
I'm in the middle of the 4th one...I should just start it again on the Kindle. Who isn't in love with Jamie???
Start it on the Kindle!! They are big books... Off to see if A Breath of Snow and Ashes is in Kindle format now!!

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Kirstin said:
I read the first 5 or 6 a few years ago in paper format and really enjoyed the series. I've been watching the Showtime series True Blood that is based on the books and it is fun watching the characters come to life. The series is staying pretty true to the books as well.
LOL! The HBO PR Department will be coming after you! It's on HBO, for those looking for the series.

Good to know that it is staying pretty true to the books as I'm looking forward to reading them. What do you think of Anna Paquin as Sookie? I've liked her as an actress since The Piano and think she's great in True Blood.

Betsy

·
Registered
829 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
LOL! The HBO PR Department will be coming after you! It's on HBO, for those looking for the series.

Good to know that it is staying pretty true to the books as I'm looking forward to reading them. What do you think of Anna Paquin as Sookie? I've liked her as an actress since The Piano and think she's great in True Blood.

Betsy
D'oh! Sorry! I get both channels and watch a few shows - Dexter, True Blood, Entourage, Weeds, Californication etc etc and I forget which is on which. Sorry HBO!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts