Kindle Forum banner

Do we want to continue with Book 2, Living Dead in Dallas?

• Yes! Can't wait to see what happens

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Yes! Although I've already read it on my own time

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No. I'm in the middle of three other book klubs and don't have the time

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • No. And I bought this stick for nuthin'.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Maybe. Can we revisit the idea in a month?

Votes: 3 15.8%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone!  Since we will finish Dead Until Dark this week, I thought I'd see if anyone is interested in continuing the series.

There's not really a minimum number of people that I'd like to continue with, I'd just like to not be talking to myself....more than usual.  And, I'd be interested in hearing your comments on chat vs. questions.  Don't worry about giving your honest opinion, I don't own a stick.  But I would love to know if you would like to continue holding weekly chats, or if you're more interested in posting your answers in a thread so you can come back and read everyone else's answers at your leisure, or if you feel like you're getting back your investment of time with the chat and the posted chat transcripts.

In any case, Dead Until Dark has been real fun, and I have completely enjoyed our little talks.  Thanks to everyone who participated!  (Even those people who participated by sitting on their hands so they wouldn't accidentally spoil the book for new readers.  You guys are the best.)

Remember:  Vote early, vote often.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I would like for it to continue. I have been a lurker and have not taken part in the discussion. I am in school online and answering the questions right now seems like more  school work LOL ;D I just finished reading Dead Until Dark I love it ;D and am I going to read the next book in the series.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would love for the book club to continue. I've had a lot of fun being introduced to this series and meeting everyone. :D

·
Super Moderator
67,495 Posts
Well, robin, I'll be honest.  This is not normally my kind of book but I gave it a try.  And, I'll admit, it didn't totally suck (just a little vampire humor :) ) but I don't see myself reading any of the rest of the series.  I didn't hate it. . . .there's just so much else I'd rather read.  But I hope we can still be friends. :D

Ann

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ann Von Hagel said:
Well, robin, I'll be honest. This is not normally my kind of book but I gave it a try. And, I'll admit, it didn't totally suck (just a little vampire humor :) ) but I don't see myself reading any of the rest of the series. I didn't hate it. . . .there's just so much else I'd rather read. But I hope we can still be friends. :D

Ann
Well, since you were nice about it. ;D I appreciate that you jumped out of your comfort zone on this one, b/c vampire novels (like so many other specific genre novels) aren't for everybody. And I hope you learned something from the experience, even if it was "I REALLY hate vampire novels" lol. Will you still stop in on chat and visit us sometimes?

·
Super Moderator
67,495 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Well, since you were nice about it. ;D I appreciate that you jumped out of your comfort zone on this one, b/c vampire novels (like so many other specific genre novels) aren't for everybody. And I hope you learned something from the experience, even if it was "I REALLY hate vampire novels" lol. Will you still stop in on chat and visit us sometimes?
Hate is much too strong a word. . . .just lots of other things I like better. . . .

When tax season is over and I have time to keep up with the message boards better I expect I'll pop into chat. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool!  Next week, lurkers, don't forget to lurk on the Living Dead in Dallas thread.  lol, there won't be a reason to lurk here anymore.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
The Book Klub got me into vampyres  :mad: and I really enjoyed lurking (isn't that what they do?)

I have read the next book, and found out I cannot stop and go to bed, I had some not very nice dreams!  I have those a lot anyway but didn't like these for sure!  Did read another book, Driving With Dead People, very disfunctional family story and had to start a mystery it was so very very horrible!  UGH  :'(

I don't do chat, and I don't post very well, but will try to do better since you lost your stick  ;)

G

·
The Book Klub got me into vampyres
There's more than one of me? We're doomed!

I don't remember a lot of the second book but I do know it's where the series really starts to take off. I'd like to see what you all think of it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Anju said:
found out I cannot stop and go to bed
I have been reading vampire & Ghost releated books for years. I think the first one I can recall is R.L. Stines Goodnight Kiss. Back in Junior High. It is intersting how every writer defines vampires. The only author I have not been able to read is Ann Rice. I don't know why but in book form I could not get through them. Maybe I will try to read them with the Kindle.

I just finished the 7th book at 130am this morning and loaded the 8th book. I am on my 8th book in 8weeks which is not my norm. I can't wait to see who they choose for someone of the other lively characters that in the later books.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I know Anne Rice and it took forever for me to try one of her books - maybe got to 20 pages, 50 is usually the minimum for me, but it was just not good as far as I was concerned so gave up, until I met Vampyre and he changed my mind about vampyres, and Bill and Eric and Sam and ......

G

·
YAY ME!!! YATTA!!!  Now you must try "Dead Witch Walking" by  Kim  Harrison.  I don't have the link here but the whole thing is up and free to read at the Harper Collins site until the 24th.

You can find the link here..just click the DWW book.

www.kimharrison.net/

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You know, Anju, it's never bothered me to read any of these books and drop immediately off to sleep, but I have a confession to make.

We had a story-tellers festival here down by the river last year, and I drug my mom out in the middle of the night to hear Kathryn Tucker Windham, the ghost story writer from Alabama speak. We had heard her speak before (no lie) 25 years ago when I was like 9 years old at a similar festival when we lived in Alabama. So, we both thought it would be fun to go see the oldest living woman in the universe tell ghost stories down by the river one Saturday night. So we got tickets, and bundled up, and I found one of her books and a silver sharpie (no way I was passing up her autograph this time! BTW, if you ever see any of her "13 <insert southern state here> Ghosts and Jeffrey" books for sale anywhere, please buy them and send me a bill. I will pay whatever anyone is asking, but I'm having real trouble completing my set. Don't get me started.). Then we hauled off to downtown in the middle of the night, and there were two other story tellers who were good but not great, then Kathryn got up and spoke for two full hours....

I didn't sleep for a week.

It was just like when I used to check out her books and read them in elementary school. Her stories scare the crap out of me.

But not vampire books. Not werewolf stories. Not zombies.

But southern ghosts? Where's my flashlight?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Robin,
Which ones are you missing? There is a lot listed on Wikipedia. I will keep an eye out in old book stores.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
You know, Anju, it's never bothered me to read any of these books and drop immediately off to sleep, but I have a confession to make.

We had a story-tellers festival here down by the river last year, and I drug my mom out in the middle of the night to hear Kathryn Tucker Windham, the ghost story writer from Alabama speak. We had heard her speak before (no lie) 25 years ago when I was like 9 years old at a similar festival when we lived in Alabama. So, we both thought it would be fun to go see the oldest living woman in the universe tell ghost stories down by the river one Saturday night. So we got tickets, and bundled up, and I found one of her books and a silver sharpie (no way I was passing up her autograph this time! BTW, if you ever see any of her "13 <insert southern state here> Ghosts and Jeffrey" books for sale anywhere, please buy them and send me a bill. I will pay whatever anyone is asking, but I'm having real trouble completing my set. Don't get me started.). Then we hauled off to downtown in the middle of the night, and there were two other story tellers who were good but not great, then Kathryn got up and spoke for two full hours....

I didn't sleep for a week.

It was just like when I used to check out her books and read them in elementary school. Her stories scare the crap out of me.

But not vampire books. Not werewolf stories. Not zombies.

But southern ghosts? Where's my flashlight?
I would like to read one of her books. Too bad they are not out on Kindle. Maybe that is a good thing. I live by myself I may get too scare when reading them and not be able to sleep. :eek:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts