Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It showed up on my lock screen: a USB adapter so you can connect your camera (and maybe other stuff?) to your Fire.  $7.99; you get an email with a credit applied to your account that you have until March 23 to use.

The email says you have to buy the USB adapter from your Fire tablet using the Amazon app on your Fire tablet by 11:59pm PT on March 23.  Your discount will be reflected on your order confirmation.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
Wasn't on my 7" Fire but it was on the 8.9" one.

I ordered the coupon. :)  Have t research a bit more and see if I feel like I need the device. . . . .

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I don't have a Fire with Special Offers & I wouldn't expect any discount - but could someone post a link to the device, just so I could check out what it does & how?  Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts

If you're a prime member and switch to no-rush shipping, you get a $1 credit toward ebooks. :)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Thanks, Ann  :D
It looks like it a type of OTB connector - I'll try the one I use for my non-Fire Android tablets & see if that works; if not then I might give this a try.

I am enjoying those $1 credits when I order something that I don't really need right away. It's cutting the price in half for some TV shows I've wanted to see that aren't available through Prime.

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
Important to know with this offer is that you have to accept it from your Fire. You don't need to order it right away, but when you do buy it you must do so from the Fire.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ann in Arlington said:
Important to know with this offer is that you have to accept it from your Fire. You don't need to order it right away, but when you do buy it you must do so from the Fire.
Using the app on your Fire, apparently ordering using the browser doesn't cut it.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Using the app on your Fire, apparently ordering using the browser doesn't cut it.

Betsy
Right . . . . you have to go through the shopping basket app. :)

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Also, as I understand it, it only works with the fourth generation and newer Fire, not older model.

I didn't know this was out there, thanks, especially at the discount.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Hooded Claw said:
Also, as I understand it, it only works with the fourth generation and newer Fire, not older model.

I didn't know this was out there, thanks, especially at the discount.
Thanks, Ann and Claw. For following up, I'm in the middle of Valentine's dinner....

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have a Fire with special offers, but that wasn't on my lock screen.  Does anyone know how to get all the available special offers to come up so I can see them?

Edit: Well as usual, right after I posted the question, I managed to find it.  On the home screen, scroll the menu at the top horizontally and it's the last item on the right, called "Offers".  ???

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I think the "4th" generation are the HDX Fires?
I recommended a Fire to a friend & touted the HDMI out to big screen TVs; she bought an X and then we found out that HDMI out only worked with the HD Fires, not the Xs - those are Miracast?
So if this device works with Xs, it won't work work with the HDs. But I did find this device that I think should work with the HDs ($15.99):

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Carol,

I'm a bit confused; the SO I posted about is to connect USB devices such as keyboards and digital cameras to the Fire...

For HD devices, to output to TV, all you need is a mini, or micro HDMI to HDMI.  I had one at one time.

Betsy

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Sorry to confuse things, Besty.
I was just trying to clarify, based on some of the complaints I saw for the SO device - that it is for the HDX Fires and it won't work for the HD Fires.
The HD Fires will require a different type of connector.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right, just not sure there is an alternative to the USB adaptor for devices earlier than the HDXs--I don't think the OS accommodates those kinds of connections.

The output to TV is a separate issue and is not related to the connector in the SO.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
I think apples and oranges are both under discussion here.

The SO Betsy saw is for connecting a USB device to your 4th gen Fire. It's very possible that ONLY means the ones that were new as of last fall, 2014.  I bought mine in 2013 or early 2014 so it's possible it won't even work with it. If that's the case I'll either return it, re-sell it, or hang on to it until I upgrade my technology. ::) (Though I confess to some annoyance that it showed up on my device if it won't work with it -- I never saw it on my HDX7 at all.)

What CeqAbq commented on is an HDMI adpater which is a completely different animal. It WILL work on a Fire that has an HDMI out port.  2011 and 2012 Fires did -- First and 2nd Generation. 2013 Fires have wireless screen sharing -- miracast only. I think the ones new in fall of 2014, though have an HDMI port again -- which does NOT include the one called "Kindle Fire HDX". That's last year's model still, I believe. But the newest 8.9" one should have it.

So, to summarize:

The special offer USB adapter will likely only work with the current models called Fire HDX 8.9 Fire HD 7 and Fire HD6

The HDMI cable will work with those current models, but not the one called KINDLE Fire HDX 7, nor last years Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, but should work with older models. The reason it won't work with the 2013 models is that those don't even have HDMI ports. :)

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
This is confusing! I have the original Fire HDX 7 and HDX 8.9, and this showed up on my 8.9, so I assumed I was good to go.  Also, at least one reviewer of this cable says that it works on his HD 6. Especially since I have a similar device for my iPad that has worked fine for several generations, so I assumed it wasn't especially high-tech.

But looking under settings and device options on my Fires, I see that both are third generation. So it shouldn't work on them after all! A pity, as I've gotten good use out of the similar cable for ipad backing up my photos on the iPad during overseas trips. I'm planning to just take my 7 inch Fire on a trip this spring that involves a lot of changing locations, and wanted to use this cable to back up my photos. RATS.

One reviewer reports that the cable works on his Android phone, so I haven't given up hope of using the cable that way. But if you don't have one of the newest Fires, you may want to reconsider ordering.

I'd been sensible and ignored the excellent offer of the latest 8.9 inch Fire a week or so ago. Darn being sensible!

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
I agree it's confusing, Claw . . . . .

I think both my Fires are technically Kindle Fires and 3rd Generation.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Mea culpa times 100 - I did introduce some of the confusion & now realize my really bad mistake. I don't know where my mind was at the time. Please disregard my post about that other gadget completely! In fact - feel free to delete it if you can.

But there does still seem to be confusion as to exactly which models of Fires the advertised SO will work with. My original Fire does not have an HDMI port, so I won't even be trying to sort the issue out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts