Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i got my kindle 2 a few weeks back and have been taking things kind of slow with it until recently (thats why i did not have a case yet)
my mother always always warned me about leaving my cell phone,laptop,ipod etc. on the same surface with food or drinks her words, "accidents can always happen" but of course im a grown 23 year old woman im not gonna spill my cup like a toddler!

Well 2days ago i spilled my large cup of ice tea all over my table that had 2 remote controls a kindle my cell phone and a regular paperback book all on it. The remote controllers and the paper back caught most of the liquid and the 1st thing i grabbed up was my. It did have liquid on the surface but as the ice tea was rolling off onto my carpet i was wrapping my kindle in many thin paper towels then 1 large towel to absorb everything i could off of it. I dont think anything got down into any cracks or buttons and i took the corners of the paper towels and cleaned any crevices i could think of. So far i have not noticed any liquid damage and nothing is running oddly or slowly yet. So i think i got VERY lucky. I hope that over the next few days no errors occur but i think i am in the clear after 2 days (keeping my fingers crossed)

It was a VERY stupid mistake that i will not ever repeat and now i will start to find myself becoming my mother using her own words! Just thought id share my SCARY experience and warn no1 else to make my same stupid mistake because mine could have been much worse! NOW for more reasons than vanity i cant wait for the added protection of my oberon case to come in the mail!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Oh that is too bad and it happens so easily.  Trust all continues to go well with your Kindle.  You will feel much more secure when your cover arrives. 

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Whew, sounds like you had a close one. Hope all continues to be right with your Kindle and your cover arrives soon.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I was holding my breath as I read your post.  Goodness, my heart would have stopped. 
I tell my kids to put their cell phones in a ziploc bag of uncooked rice when they get liquid on them.  That will draw out any liquid.  I'm not sure about a Kindle.  And since it's been a couple of days it's probably dry by now anyway. 
Hope your cover gets here soon.
deb

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
For those of you who bought your Kindles less than 30 days ago, you might want to consider the Square Trade accidental damage warranty...

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/learn-more-warranty-buyer.

Considering I like to read while I eat (and drink), when I got my extended warranty from them, I added the accidental damage warranty.

Or, you might want one of these:

Betsy

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I actually got tears in my eyes reading this lol. I haven't spilled anything on my Kindle but I have spilled dr pepper on my laptop before.

Melissa

·
Registered
208 Posts
cringe.  I lost a cell phone to sweet "iced" tea.  (we don't use ice).

the cell phone fell into the glass of tea (don't ask).  We did everything you're suppose to do when a cell phone is dropped into liquid and for a few days after the "treatment" we thought we got lucky.  The cell phone finally died, we're guessing the sugar did the phone in. 

I still miss that phone, it was one of the best ones I've ever had and of course wasn't offered when I had to replace.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I lost an Ipod to sweet tea. DD was driving dropped the Ipod in the cup holder forgetting she has a cup of sweet tea in the holder. She wanted to replace the ipod as my birthday gift but since it was not an upgrade to the Ipod it was truly a replacement and she had to buy an actually birthday gift.  Which was a pair of earrings I think I lost out on the deal since she got a K2 soon afterwards.

Anyway I haven't ordered the bags suggested by Betsy but they are going on my wishlist for April purchases.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I've screwed up a few keyboards in my life thanks to water, pop, tea, etc.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Yow!  Glad it's turned out OK.

I use a wire book rack to "store" my K2 whenever I put it down--in fact, I'm at the point where I'm picking up one or two more so I don't have to move them around the house. Keeps the K2 up off the end table or nightstand, so when I spill something (yes, that's WHEN, not if), it's above the liquid.  I also leave mine in its cover, and the cover closed, when it's not in use.  One added layer of protection against splashes!

But I also got the Square Trade warranty, including the Accidental Damage & Handling coverage. :D

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I first read your title as "I spilled spiced tea all over my kindle" and I was going to say serves you right for ruining perfectly good iced tea, but then I reread it and I can sympathize with you.

Hope your K2 is okay.

·
Registered
599 Posts
That's a heart-stopper. Nothing's happened to my Kindle yet *knocks on wood* but I got Amazon's extended warranty with the one-time accidental damage coverage. A couple of other fun liquid + electronics stories... once while I was out of my apartment a flower vase that I had sitting on the hutch over my desk tipped over and spilled plant food-infused water all over my laptop that was sitting on the desk below... when I came back it was dry and sticky, but miraculously everything was working fine. Also dropped my digital camera in the canal when I was in the Netherlands over the summer... the screen was messed up for a few days but it went back to normal. So far I've been lucky.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Oh my. You are lucky. I have a phobia of liquids around my electronics. I was always lecturing my DH about spills. He was always drinking around the computers. He finally spilled something and fried the keyboard. He is now much more careful when around electronics. I did wash my cell phone that I left in a pocket. Needless to say, it was ruined.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Whew! Glad your K is ok.

I have to wonder though... I think I might be just as upset about spilling on my Oberon cover as I would be about spilling on the K2 itself!

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
/\ /\ Me too! Hate to stain that cover! But I will admit to buying a new keyboard from a beer spill.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts