Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my first spoiler review for a short story, and yet again they didn't seem to read the blurb where length was mentioned and they said it wasn't a book as it was too short! It's the only review on it at the moment and they gave it 2 stars - why not one if it was so awful for them? ;) But their parting shot really took the biscuit: buyer beware - I've already told you the whole story you don't need purchase.

And they have indeed detailed all of the plot, it's more like a synopsis of the story rather than a review.

The book is here, [link removed by moderator] and I've noticed now that nowhere on the prodcut page does it say it's a short story, which I clicked on before I published it at kdp. So I can see why they were upset that it was so short. Does no one ever read the length before they buy a book these days?

Take care,
Annette
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
That's upsetting for you.

Time will give you more reviews. Maybe add the estimated number of pages to the blurb, since the reviewer complained that it was 'shorter than a short story'?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I saw a review yesterday that simply said "Short story" and it was listed at 2 stars. I get the feeling sometimes that they typical reader doesn't consider a short story a real book. Seems like a lack of knowledge on their part.

Spoilers are simply rude and any normal person should know that. It makes me think that some people only use the internet for doing reviews and they have no clue how the rest of the world works.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
I had a rather idiotic one a few months back.

"I didn't l like this book at all, glad it was a short story. Wish it would have been free! The boy was dead the whole time and in some kind of hell?? Kinda dumb...."

[link removed by moderator]

I'm not bothered that they didn't like it, frankly I couldn't give a toss, but seriously has there ever been a documented case where someone said "Well, I'm quite happy you told me the ending before I had even started reading it?"

Oh well...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
HeyDrew said:
I'm not bothered that they didn't like it, frankly I couldn't give a toss, but seriously has there ever been a documented case where someone said "Well, I'm quite happy you told me the ending before I had even started reading it?"
My mother. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I had a spoiler-filled review last week as well. I was fortunate in that it only appeared on Goodreads, was hidden for containing spoilers, and was a positive review in my case. Not sure why it wouldn't dawn on someone not to spoil the story for everyone else who might happen to read their review.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,460 Posts
Folks,

I agree that people who put spoilers in book reviews (or posts on forums, for that matter) without warning are terrible people who deserve to have their Kindles taken from them; but please, when venting here on KBoards, do NOT include a link to your book. That only invites your fellow members to head on over and start piling on the reviewer with unhelpful votes and/or comments. Yes, I know they can still do that, but at least they'll have to work a bit harder. And I feel you can never overestimate the laziness of a forum reader. Though maybe I'm just judging everyone by myself. ::)

We have a saying here, What Happens On Amazon stays on Amazon (WHOA). This means that while you are welcome to vent and speak generally of issues on Amazon and other forums (fora?), please do not post links. They will be removed if I see them, as has happened here.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Oops, sorry Bessy.

Betsy the Quilter said:
Folks,

I agree that people who put spoilers in book reviews (or posts on forums, for that matter) without warning are terrible people who deserve to have their Kindles taken from them; but please, when venting here on KBoards, do NOT include a link to your book. That only invites your fellow members to head on over and start piling on the reviewer with unhelpful votes and/or comments. Yes, I know they can still do that, but at least they'll have to work a bit harder. And I feel you can never overestimate the laziness of a forum reader. Though maybe I'm just judging everyone by myself. ::)

We have a saying here, What Happens On Amazon stays on Amazon (WHOA). This means that while you are welcome to vent and speak generally of issues on Amazon and other forums (fora?), please do not post links. They will be removed if I see them, as has happened here.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, everyone, it seems a lot of people don't seem to know what short stories are, LOL! Does everyone expect an ebook to be novel length? I thought they would guess from the low price that it wasn't a novel, but obviously not. I've added it's a short story to the blurb now.

Sorry, Betsy, I'll try and remember not to add links :)

I emailed amazon and I got an email back saying that this particular review didn't violate any of their guidelines, so they weren't going to remove it, but suggested I leave a comment for the reviewer on the review. Er, no thanks!

It does seem to be a genuine review, I'm more disappointed that they put in spoilers rather than that they gave it two stars.

I hate spoilers myself for books and films, sometimes the trailer gives the whole plot away before you've watched the film. My husband has a solution for that - there should be nothing in a film trailer that takes place longer than ten minutes into it ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Annette_g said:
Had my first spoiler review for a short story, and yet again they didn't seem to read the blurb where length was mentioned and they said it wasn't a book as it was too short! It's the only review on it at the moment and they gave it 2 stars - why not one if it was so awful for them? ;) But their parting shot really took the biscuit: buyer beware - I've already told you the whole story you don't need purchase.

And they have indeed detailed all of the plot, it's more like a synopsis of the story rather than a review.

The book is here, [link removed by moderator] and I've noticed now that nowhere on the prodcut page does it say it's a short story, which I clicked on before I published it at kdp. So I can see why they were upset that it was so short. Does no one ever read the length before they buy a book these days?

Take care,
Annette
I'm sorry to hear about your spoiler review. At least the next person might not make that comment if they have read the review :) Sometimes time really is the best medicine.

I think one of the biggest faults with Kindle books is the fact that there is no 'blurb' function. (As in a way to read the blurb on our devices without having to look the book up online) Often by the time we get around to reading a book we have forgotten the blurb and have no hope of remembering whether it was a short story, a novella or a novel. It is why I think that so many free books languish on our TBR list. At least it is why I have so many unread books. I like to read the back before I read it to give me a feel for what to expect. Or I might be in the mood for a particular genre. In regards to free ebooks it is just as quick to download another book than hunt through my list and then look up the blurbs to find out which one to read next.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Have you thought about asking Amazon to remove the review because it contains plot spoilers? That's one of the things they ask reviewers not to do in their review guidelines, so it might be worth a go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GeniusStartup said:
Have you thought about asking Amazon to remove the review because it contains plot spoilers? That's one of the things they ask reviewers not to do in their review guidelines, so it might be worth a go.
Yep, already asked that and the wrote back saying the didn't think the review violated any of their guidelines.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top