Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...Hubby and I started a new year's resolution to start going to the gym (though he more diligent than I).

HOWEVER, I find that I go more so-- to show off my Kindle.  How bad am I?

In a post the other day about K's superiority over the Sony: I actually confessed to PURPOSELY sitting next to someone on a "bike" at the gym who had a Sony; just so I could (inadvertently by coincidence...lol.) use my whispernet to download a sample from the store just to make her drool.  I knew she was watching and I pretended indifference.  Wow!! I'm turning into one of those condescending people I hate...either that, or I just loooooooooooove my Kindle. 

"A Devious Kindle Twit am I."  Anyone else finding themselves so defensive and superior when it comes to their Kindle?  It brings out the "high-school" brat in me at 45!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
Wait, I don't get it?  I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing  ;D

When I read on the bus, I think I hold my Kindle just a little bit more in the open then when I read a DTB  ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that makes me feel a bit better.  I felt bad after I did it...but while I was doing it I was gloating inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
LOL a siren might make reading hard..  

I haven't really too many chances to "show off" like that.. I did have it by the pool at our hotel at Disney and got a couple of looks, but no one stopped and asked me what it was.  

Now with that said I would totally pull the "my book is better than yours because it can change into a different book in 30 seconds" card if given the chance :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
Yesterday I had my very first "what is that thing" from somebody.
She had more of an annoyed, grumpy tone.  She didn't have the happy, inquisitive, interested tone.

I really wanted to tell her that if she didn't show a little more reverence in her tone, that she didn't deserve to see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,340 Posts
kim said:
Yesterday I had my very first "what is that thing" from somebody.
She had more of an annoyed, grumpy tone. She didn't have the happy, inquisitive, interested tone.

I really wanted to tell her that if she didn't show a little more reverence in her tone, that she didn't deserve to see it.
Someone like that is easy to handle.

Question: What is that?
Answer: Kindle
Question: What is a Kindle?
Answer: (yawn) ebook reader
Question: What is an ebook reader?
Answer: (yawn & stretch) reads ebooks
Question: What are ebooks?
Answer: (annoyed expression) electronic books
Question: What can you do with electronic books?
Answer: (with a smile) read em

Then they either have to ask you to see it demonstrated, or they have to leave. Short answers and offer them nothing. That's how I handle people like that.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
stevene9 said:
Someone like that is easy to handle.

Question: What is that?
Answer: Kindle
Question: What is a Kindle?
Answer: (yawn) ebook reader
Question: What is an ebook reader?
Answer: (yawn & stretch) reads ebooks
Question: What are ebooks?
Answer: (annoyed expression) electronic books
Question: What can you do with electronic books?
Answer: (with a smile) read em

Then they either have to ask you to see it demonstrated, or they have to leave. Short answers and offer them nothing. That's how I handle people like that.

Steve
I was so excited about someone finally asking about it, I kind of gushed. But your responses are perfect. Next time I'm so totally playing it cool, dude. Whatever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
I always gush, too.  :D

I admit that last week I had a chance to get away and have a latte at Starbucks. I scoped out the seating while I was in line to see which seat would allow people to better see my fantastic Kindle.  :-\

I took it out at an inflatable jumping place while my 2 year old bounced and one lady approached me and asked which ereader I had. Turns out she got a Kindle for Christmas and was waiting for it to arrive. She was so excited to see one in real life! A few other people then came over and checked it out. Her husband popped over to say, "What games can you play on it?" Ummmm... minesweeper?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
I even had the stewardesses kneel down by me on a plane to ask me to show and tell about the Kindle. Of course, now they'll be even more sure to tell people to turn it off on take off and landing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,551 Posts
sjc said:
OK...Hubby and I started a new year's resolution to start going to the gym (though he more diligent than I).

HOWEVER, I find that I go more so-- to show off my Kindle. How bad am I?

In a post the other day about K's superiority over the Sony: I actually confessed to PURPOSELY sitting next to someone on a "bike" at the gym who had a Sony; just so I could (inadvertently by coincidence...lol.) use my whispernet to download a sample from the store just to make her drool. I knew she was watching and I pretended indifference. Wow!! I'm turning into one of those condescending people I hate...either that, or I just loooooooooooove my Kindle.

"A Devious Kindle Twit am I." Anyone else finding themselves so defensive and superior when it comes to their Kindle? It brings out the "high-school" brat in me at 45!!
I love it! When I go to the bookstore w/ my spouse I -oh so nonchalantly-find a seat and pull Isabella out to read. I also have had many people invade my personal space while I'm reading in a checkout line at the store. You'd think they would ask instead of try to make out what I'm doing, but if they dont say anything, neither do I.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ALL:  ROTFLMAO!!!  So I'm not the only Kindle snob...it does bring out the snarkiness in me and I secretly love it.  It's the only thing I act superior about.  I'm normally not that way at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
I just love showing it off because most people have never even heard of it. It's fun showing them something so new and cool. I always feel like I have to squeeze every feature in a 15 second schpeal, though. "It's an e-book reader, and you turn the pages like this, and you can change the font size, and you can look the words up iin a dictionary instantly, and it automatically remembers where you are in each book, and you can set it to auto page turn (hellp knitting while reading!), and you can instantly read reviews and download samples, or the whole book in seconds. And you can upload PDF's, and make notes, and search through your books or wikipedia, and check email, and... oh yeah, subscribe to blogs and newspapers." Whew! trying to briefly tell people how cool it is is tough!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,967 Posts
The passenger next to me on my flight home last Saturday leaned over and said "what gadget do you have?". I couldn't wait to tell her about it. It was funny, because after telling her all about it and touching every button for her to see, I had passengers in the in row across from me want to see it. They had to wait. I wasn't just handing it over for them to play with, I'm just to protective for that. It was fun seeing everyone's curiosity over my Kindle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
I was exactly like all of you when I first got my Kindle, pulling it out whenever in public. But now I've stopped flashing it to everybody, because explaining what it is and answering the barrage of questions is just TOO ANNOYING!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Panjo said:
And you can upload PDF's, and make notes, and search through your books or wikipedia, and check email, and... oh yeah, subscribe to blogs and newspapers."
I did not know you could check email with it!! OMG I so need Leslie's book..
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top