Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Squaretrade accidental damage (ADH) coverage:

"ADH is only available during initial warranty purchase and on items purchased within the last 30 days"

So if your preorder (purchase) date is 31+ days ago (Jan xx, Dec, Nov, etc), explain that you have an official Email from Amazon that explains they upgraded you from the K1 to the K2 on February 9th 2008.

This is considered a valid transaction that supersedes your original purchase date!

You will have to forward this Email to them.

Good luck.

;)

Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH) augments your Care Plan to include accidental damage from spills, drops, and other accidental breakage for the next 3 years. To be eligible for ADH, the item must be purchased factory-new, and come with a minimum 90 day U.S. manufacturer's warranty. There is an initial 30-day waiting period from the date of purchase before the ADH coverage goes into effect. If you purchase ADH coverage on a product that turns out not to qualify, ADH coverage will be declined and you will receive a full refund for this coverage.

There is a $50 deductible for each claim made under the ADH provision. Claims that fall under normal-use mechanical and electrical failure fall under the standard Care Plan terms, and are not subject to any deductibles. In both cases, all Parts and Labor costs are included in the coverage. ADH does not protect against theft, loss, viruses, or reckless and/or willful damage occurring from using the item in manner it was clearly not intended for. Cosmetic damage and pre-existing conditions are likewise not covered by ADH.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
In these 3rd party guarantee situations, how do they fix a problem. There are no service centers for the Kindle. Do they automatically give you a K2 if you have a problem. They wouldn't have the parts to fix it themselves, even if they knew how. Are their warranties for the Kindle really worth anything?

Steve

·
Registered
494 Posts
My understanding is that if they cannot fix it they put the money in your paypal account.  So, if your Kindle breaks in the next 3 years, you will get $359 in your paypal account (less a small shipping fee I think)

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is correct, square trader will refund you the money minus the $50 deductibe if it was accidental damage.

Unfortunately, Amazon never sent me a confirmation email. 

I am still debating weather to get any warranty at all.  I just checked with my Amex Card info and it is true they will EXTEND Amazon's 1 year warranty by one year.  Amazon's 1 year (included) warranty specifically says that it doesn't cover accidental damage... but from what I hear on this board, they have been very willing to replace the product within the one year warranty. 
So, it sounds like I will be covered by the free amazon coverage and the free AMEX coverage for 2 years on manufacturer's defects and malfunctions. 

If I want to spend $65 on the amazon warranty, that only gives me protection against 1 accidental incident within the 2 years. 

If I buy square traders warranty with Accidental coverage for $50 (approx for warranty)  I get 3 years manufacturer defects and malfunctions, and 1 accidental issue will cost me an additional $50 deductible.... Total cost for an accidental issue over 3 years would be $100.

None of these warranties cover me for theft and loss... which is much more probable for me than accidental since I will always keep the kindle in the m-edge case.

The question is, will I keep this for 3 years (knowing myself, probably yes, but who knows... new versions of kindle and all).

This is a really hard decision.... I have NEVER purchased an extended warranty, as I know they are profit centers.  I really wish someone would offer coverage for theft/loss.  I may just keep my no warranty policy, rely on Amex's free coverage and hope for no accidents.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think my homeowners and/or car insurance would cover theft from my home or car... but the deductible is $500, so unless other things were stolen, it wouldn't be worth it.

I was thinking theft/loss coverage to protect if my purse was stolen with my kindle in it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Gary Edward said:
Squaretrade accidental damage (ADH) coverage:

"ADH is only available during initial warranty purchase and on items purchased within the last 30 days"

So if your preorder (purchase) date is 31+ days ago...
Gary,

The purchase date is the date shipped (and your CC charged), not the pre-order date.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts