Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.amazon.com/St-Louis-Cardinals-Past-Present/dp/0760335281/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245335424&sr=1-1

Review by Harry Levins
Fretting about a Father's Day present? Consider a copy of Doug Feldmann's "St. Louis Cardinals Past & Present." The text reads smoothly, the hundreds of photos grab the eye - and the price is a bargain for a book of coffee-table dimensions.

Feldmann teaches education at Northern Kentucky University and scouts part-time for the Cincinnati Reds. In whatever spare time he has, he writes baseball books. This one is his fourth on the Cardinals.

Most baseball club histories proceed chronologically. Feldmann takes a refreshingly different approach. His chapters proceed by topic - first basemen, for example, or sluggers, or ballpark dimensions, or broadcasters. Feldmann's chapters include some off-speed stuff - superstitions, for example, or uniforms.

One such fascinating chapter details Cardinals nicknames, such as '30s catcher Spud Davis, '40s infielder Creepy Crespi and (of course) '80s outfielder Skates Smith. Other chapters chronicle homegrown heroes like Dick Sisler and Mike Shannon and bad boys like Ducky Medwick and Joaquin Andujar.

Gems of trivia pop up regularly. Did you know that George Hendrick started the long-pants style in uniforms? Or that late in World War II, the Cardinals held spring training in Cairo, Ill.? Or that Stan Musial never led the league in home runs?

And oh, the photos! There's Bob Gibson, magnificently off-balance after hurling another strike. There's Jack Clark belting a home run of armor-piercing velocity. There are fedora-wearing fans in 1954 at Sportsman's Park. And there, poignantly, is an ailing Jack Buck interviewing a young Albert Pujols in 2001. "Past & Present," indeed. This book will stir long-dormant memories for Cardinals fans. Do you remember Bob Tewksbury? Those awful blue road uniforms of the '70s and early '80s? Do you remember when the Springfield Redbirds played in Springfield, Ill., not Springfield, Mo.?

I fault author Feldmann on just one count. His book makes absolutely no mention of the immortal Glenn Brummer. Otherwise, it's a winner.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Looks like a good book.

Forgive me for asking though: Why all these threads about books that (a) aren't all on the Kindle, (b) don't seem to be yours, and (c) don't seem to have been reviewed by you?

If these are books you've read and liked, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about them. I don't much care what Harry Levins, Steve Giegerich, etc. think about them. :p

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I used to live in St. Louis. Glad I moved up North... (nothing against St. Louis).  ;D

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
CS said:
Looks like a good book.

Forgive me for asking though: Why all these threads about books that (a) aren't all on the Kindle, (b) don't seem to be yours, and (c) don't seem to have been reviewed by you?

If these are books you've read and liked, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about them. I don't much care what Harry Levins, Steve Giegerich, etc. think about them. :p
I never thought much about it before but I have noticed this also. You bring up a good point CS. I understand promoting a book if you really enjoyed it or was a part of making it, author etc. But why otherwise? Just curious as well.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CS said:
Looks like a good book.

Just wanted to put reviews out there for people to read, It is a section for reviews on books. Maybe a review by someone else may sparks someone to want to read that book. Apparently reviews on KB have to by a member I guess. I thought KB was a place for all types of review to encourage reading and the expansion of knowledge.

The Book Corner
Reader discussions - share your book reviews and recommendations, and new discoveries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts