Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I had read once that someone had written a Star Trek novel sequel to the classic episode, Requim for Methusula-- in which the character, Flint, was the main character

Anyone know the title of this novel? Thanks in advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Off-topic a little...I hope there's a sequel (as a novel) to "The Best of Both Worlds". Other than First Contact in which Picard goes crazy and smashes small ships...I can't feel his anger towards the Borg, or his so-called "I can hear them" connection.

But then again, with the new Star Trek, no one cares about Picard or the Borg, eh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Continuing off topic.....

I actually have my doubts on the new Trek film ( commonly known as Trek 2- since it's a reboot and all the original Trek films are now part of history) because the trailer looks way too action oriented and heavy with drama

I am planning on just reading the e-book first

I'm afraid the next few films will lean heavily on action and spectacle since each of them has hundreds of million of dollars invested. But it would be nice if they would truly take a risk and go down the Avatar path of exploration- which was Roddenberry's original vision

Even worse...... it looks like JJ Abrams has jumped ship on us and will direct the next Star Wars
And while that's okay.... it's a bad thing for the upcoming 50th anniversary of Star Trek ( 2016)
I'd hate to be the writer of THAT film because it will be the 50th anniversary
If this next film is successful the studio will insist on even more action to mirror the successful ingredients of this next film

On the other hand it would be nice to give the fans an exploration topic since we saved the franchise oh so long ago when the original series got shut down after just 3 seasons

It will be interesting to see how the next couple of years unfold
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the original Star Trek, I'm dying to know what episode this was as the name of it rings a bell, but can't remember it exactly.  Can you tell me in 25 words or less what happens in the episode, it's killing me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
There is a debate in Trek fandom whether the new movies are an alternate timeline, or whether the original timeline "unhappened" and were replaced by the original timeline. As I see it, they keep publishing Trek novels in the original timeline, so it must still exist. I'm certainly going to see the next movie, but it will never quite be the "real" Trek for me. I'd like to see the original timeline go back on TV, the new timeline can have the movies.

I would have liked the movie a lot better if they had not given Kirk an instant promotion to captain without having finished at the Academy. That ruined credibility, and wasn't even necessary. The next movie could have featured Kirk as captain a few years later. I'll just try to mentally edit out the insti-captain thing. There's more to running a ship - or any organization - than just being an action hero. I think it a movie featuring Lt. Kirk would have been a great transition movie, but the insti-captain thing just doesn't work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
The change in the style caters to the market--nowadays, movies are fast-paced and action-packed. The more special effects it has, the more stars it will get in reviews.

Star Trek used to be popular (I'd assure) due to its plot and characters. Now, it's all about Kirk fighting in space (literally--with a spacesuit?) instead of "Let's be objective and talk".

I still prefer the old Star Trek. Slow, but the plot amazes me.


P.S. There's a new Star Wars movie? Isn't the franchise over?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,404 Posts
QuantumIguana said:
There is a debate in Trek fandom whether the new movies are an alternate timeline, or whether the original timeline "unhappened" and were replaced by the original timeline. As I see it, they keep publishing Trek novels in the original timeline, so it must still exist. I'm certainly going to see the next movie, but it will never quite be the "real" Trek for me. I'd like to see the original timeline go back on TV, the new timeline can have the movies.

I would have liked the movie a lot better if they had not given Kirk an instant promotion to captain without having finished at the Academy. That ruined credibility, and wasn't even necessary. The next movie could have featured Kirk as captain a few years later. I'll just try to mentally edit out the insti-captain thing. There's more to running a ship - or any organization - than just being an action hero. I think it a movie featuring Lt. Kirk would have been a great transition movie, but the insti-captain thing just doesn't work.
That bothered me so much!!
I'm not wedded to the originals, but it was the plotholes in this movie that bothered me.

Spock kicks Kirk off the ship in an escape pod and he lands on Hoth within walking distance of original Spock and they both walk to Scotty who happens to be on the same planet by himself in a Fed outpost....too much coincidence surely?

Supernova takes out Romulus...but its not their star so how could a supernova lightyears away surprise a faster-than-light civilization, let alone destroy their planet from that far off?

And the Romulan baddy is so angry that his planet died that he goes back in time to destroy the people who tried but couldn't save his planet....instead of saving his d*mn planet himself?!

I couldn't handle it ....but I must be weird because I haven't heard anyone else...fan or non fan complain...
Are people just getting more gullible? Maybe its a decrease in science literacy and critical thinking
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,441 Posts
I finally watched the movie last night.

And i agree with everything in Chad's spoilers.....

Plus, I have one question for the ST fans here....
in the original ST canon, is there any mention of kirk's dad living long enough to see him as captain? that's nowhere in any of the episodes (actually, no reference to kirk's parents is in the episodes), and in the movie his line is "i was born in iowa, i just work in outer space", so him being born on the kelvin doesn't work for me.
no mention of his brother? and lastly, why would Nero's going back in time affect technology? why is the enterprise's bridge in this timeline SO fr*cking different?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,404 Posts
telracs said:
I finally watched the movie last night.

And i agree with everything in Chad's spoilers.....

Plus, I have one question for the ST fans here....
in the original ST canon, is there any mention of kirk's dad living long enough to see him as captain? that's nowhere in any of the episodes (actually, no reference to kirk's parents is in the episodes), and in the movie his line is "i was born in iowa, i just work in outer space", so him being born on the kelvin doesn't work for me.
no mention of his brother? and lastly, why would Nero's going back in time affect technology? why is the enterprise's bridge in this timeline SO fr*cking different?
Hmm hadn't thought of that...maybe if
the Kelvin hadn't blown up they would have made it back to Earth in Time for her to deliver in Iowa?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,441 Posts
Chad Winters said:
Hmm hadn't thought of that...maybe if
the Kelvin hadn't blown up they would have made it back to Earth in Time for her to deliver in Iowa?
I don't know, but it seemed sloppy to me.

but i do have to say that the actor cast as George Kirk was perfect in the role. But sorry, I want my Kirks with hazel eyes and my McCoys with baby blues.

and is it just me, or
did the scenes with Scotty seem like an out-take from Dr. Who?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,404 Posts
scarlet said:
I don't know, but it seemed sloppy to me.

but i do have to say that the actor cast as George Kirk was perfect in the role. But sorry, I want my Kirks with hazel eyes and my McCoys with baby blues.

and is it just me, or
did the scenes with Scotty seem like an out-take from Dr. Who?
LOL the giant water ride engine room set kinda reminded me of Dr. Who as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,441 Posts
Chad Winters said:
LOL the giant water ride engine room set kinda reminded me of Dr. Who as well
yup.
but my first thought when kirk and spock were following the cute little alien was did they film this where they film Dr. Who and RiverSong's prison?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Low Kay    Where have you been the past few weeks? Disney bought the Star Wars franchise from Lucas for 4 bilion and have promised us fans an all new film ( in fact- an all new trilogy)-- the first of the three coming due in May of 2015

Just last week they announced that JJ Abrams will be the director of it- which of course throws open the question of who will direct the all important 50th anniversary Star Trek film? And... will the fans be patient enough to wait until 2016 or will the studio bring one out in 2015. Though that's doubtful since the next Star Wars movie will have the entire month of May to itself as I doubt anyone will be dumb enough to open anywhere near that 900 pound gorilla

As I said..... the next few years will prove to be interesting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
We are going to see a lot of Star Wars films. If Disney had bought Star Wars 10 or 20 years ago, I would have really cringed, but I think they can do a good job of it now. The Star Wars franchise had become stuck on the Clone Wars.

I think the problem with Star Trek was that the people at the top had run out of ideas. It doesn't mean there weren't any new ideas to be had. But when your people run out of ideas, it's time to get new people. They won't admit they have run out of ideas, they will insist that the well is dry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But part of the problem is that we have to throw economics into the equation
It's a huge risk to make a film ( whether it's SW or Trek)
So they throw the standard  staples (action and effects) into the mix

Now that's fine for Star Wars because they have a plethora of characters and ships to fall back on whereas Star Trek- arguably- has ONLY the one ship and the main crew to focus on

And with Trek, while the core of the franchise is exploration and cerebral/philosophical  - you really can't take the risk doing that with a film that you can with a TV episode or even a book--- there's always next week's TV episode or even with books there is a few month wait and the next book will packed with action scenes.

But a major film that took two years to create.... there's just too much at stake so they keep rebooting ideas ( or resort to the standard time travel stuff)
This is why Star Trek has had a tougher time thinking up fresh ideas per film than Star Wars did ( and yes- I still have that on the table despite the fact there were only 6 SW films. And while Clone Wars is a success... it IS a success because, as I said....the Star Wars franchise has a much wider scope of material to play with-- which despite having JUST 6 films and 4 seasons of animated seasons under its belt.... has a much better chance at going the distance then Star Trek, which has 12 films and 5 series with over 27 seasons to its credit. Star Trek - arguably- has saturated itself into a corner)  My opinion
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top