Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

So I want to start a new pen name under my real name however, I would like to make a new social media profile so by chance if readers try and add me as a friend they won't have access to all my personal photos and such.

What have you guys done in this case? And have you added friends/family from your personal fb account to become friends on your author fb account.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Just finished Screamcatcher: Sasquatch Most Monstrous, fourth in series. Agent has it.
800 Posts
Yes, my friends have grouped to subscribe from my general FB account over to my Author's page account. I even developed a FB pen-name fantasy page for one series of books and my other Young Adult books. However, and this is just me, my real author name (15 years old on the Internet) has drastically out-sold my 14-month-old new pen name. Adopting a pen name for me did not work out at all, primarily because the pen name is an unknown quantity and my link from her back to was were not correctly organized. Having to write multiple pages and accounts for the pen name has been a total hassle for me. I won't ever adopt a pen name again. But that is just me. You'll probably have good luck with it and do it correctly.

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
On Facebook, you don't have to have separate personal and author accounts to maintain privacy. You can use your existing personal account/profile to create a public page for your pen name (what used to be called a "fan page"). Readers can follow your public fan page without friending you or being able to see your personal profile page where you interact with family and friends (depending on your privacy settings, anyway). You can post your book related stuff to the fan page, run ads from the page, join groups as the page, etc. If readers want to friend you, cheerfully encourage them to follow your fan page or join a group you create, instead.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Carol (was Dara) said:
On Facebook, you don't have to have separate personal and author accounts to maintain privacy. You can use your existing personal account/profile to create a public page for your pen name (what used to be called a "fan page"). Readers can follow your public fan page without friending you or being able to see your personal profile page where you interact with family and friends (depending on your privacy settings, anyway). You can post your book related stuff to the fan page, run ads from the page, join groups as the page, etc. If readers want to friend you, cheerfully encourage them to follow your fan page or join a group you create, instead.
Yes, this is what I have done. Also, you can create a group and link the two entities together and you can add a 'Subscribe' or ''Learn More' button leading to your website or newsletter signup. For other social sites, we are only setup fro the publisher account and not private accounts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts