Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The book I just put up on Amazon yesterday is doing something unusual.  At least I don't think I've seen it happen to one of my books before.  Usually my books go into "in review" status, then "publishing" status, during which time you can't edit the book and it's in a yellow bar on the bookshelf.  Then they show as "live" and you can edit them.  However, this book went into "draft" status.  It was editable, but was not showing up on Amazon.  I published it again, and it went into "in review" status, then went right back to "draft" status.

I haven't had this happen before, and I just want to know if anyone else has.  Will it go on to "live" eventually, or is there something weird going on here that needs to be addressed?  I know books often do a lot of funny things on Amazon on their way to "live," but I've never had one do this particular trick before!

ETA: Finally got a notification from Amazon.  It says that it's been put into draft status because the "title of your eBook includes additional descriptive content."  I.e., I marked it "erotic romance/erotica" in parentheses, same as I always do.  I had heard some people say Amazon had a problem with this (probably because some authors were putting things like "for fans of J.K. Rowling and Roald Dahl"), but my last book went through just fine.  But apparently now they are requiring that such "descriptive content" be deleted.  This may be useful info for anyone else who does this. :)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Weird. I updated the cover on one of mine last night and it's still not showing. Went and looked and sure enough - I'm set to draft too. But the book is on sale, just without the updates. So strange.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Oh, interesting! Okay, I'll do that. I don't mind them cracking down on it, honestly. Seen it abused far too much. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
So does this mean I can't title my book "Sexting: An Erotic Romance" like I planned?  Or does it mean I just can't use parentheses?  That's going to suck if I can't mention "erotic romance".

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds to me like they're kicking out any sort of extraneous descriptive matter in the title now.  You can certainly try it with the colon and see what happens, but keep an eye on it so that if it goes into draft, you can fix it right away.  (It says specifically in the email that they put it into editable status so the author can fix the problem.) I've been titling my erotic stuff this way since late last year (following Selena Kitt's lead), but they seem to have changed their policy on this.  In any event, you can label the book erotic in the description.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Laura.  I know that now, but this was the first time I ever got anything put into "draft" status. :)

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: Once I removed the "descriptive content" in the title, it went through with no problem.  And happily, the description appeared promptly, so readers will know what they're getting.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Strange. I only uploaded 13 short stories about 2/3 weeks ago and I put either (Short Story) or (Novelette) as part of the title and they flew through to live. Maybe they are double checking erotica?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Strange. I only uploaded 13 short stories about 2/3 weeks ago and I put either (Short Story) or (Novelette) as part of the title and they flew through to live. Maybe they are double checking erotica?
I put one up a month or so ago that didn't get flagged, either. I think this is a new thing, perhaps due to all the "for readers of X author" subtitles that people were using.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Um, my book has never been anything but "draft." Been that way since I put it up April 8.
I've never got any notice from Amazon that I needed to change anything.
Should I inquire?
???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts